Braveheart vs. Titanic - which score do you like the most?

Which score do you like the most?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Which score do you like the most?

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Geez, @Thor, you're disturbing the balance of the force by changing your vote.

He, he. Don't know why I voted 'BRAVEHEART' in the first place. 'Tie' is what I should have always voted.

• 3 weeks later...

It's so odd this poll popped back up today because I just watched Braveheart last night and was asking myself the exact same question.

For me, it's almost impossible to choose between the two. I have a lot of history with both. Both are scores I loved before I loved film scores. But the tie breaker was how much the music enhances the ending of Braveheart, from his execution to the final shot of the sword in the grass.  ("Freedom"/The Execution/Bannockburn on the expanded score) No sequence in Titanic matches that marriage of music and imagery. So Braveheart got my vote. Barely.

3 hours ago, csista said:

the tie breaker was how much the music enhances the ending of Braveheart, from his execution to the final shot of the sword in the grass.  ("Freedom"/The Execution/Bannockburn on the expanded score)

Well, it’s a sequence almost devoid of dialogue.

8 hours ago, Thor said:

It's fitting that these two are neck-to-neck. Two absolute masterpieces that in my estimation are equal in quality and status.

Sure. I prefer Braveheart, but Titanic’s great.

Like I said, people choose Braveheart because of the movie, but it's a judgement error. It's still one of the greatest scores ever fathomed! but Titanic is better. Braveheart you can feel the whole movie and the extreme of emotions within the score. But with Titanic, the score made the movie.

Braveheart was also a bit more safe. Both however are duly indescribable.

8 hours ago, Oomoog the Ecstatic said:

people choose Braveheart because of the movie, but it's a judgement error.

Is it, though? The score was written to complement the movie, so is it not natural for our view of the score to be informed by our impression of the movie?

Difficult question to answer, methinks.

On 11/13/2020 at 2:52 AM, Bilbo said:

The forum is wrong. 

Yup! I had to take Braveheart out of my digital music collection...I just got annoyed whenever it came up in shuffle, and I never listened to it otherwise.

Titanic may be a giant ball of cheese, but sometimes that's just what I'm looking for!

This place picked EsB over Star Wars. It picking Braveheart over Titanic is typical. 

I've seen Titanic - it's fine, and while this might be damning with faint praise, I'd count it among my favorite Horner scores.

I have both major-label Braveheart releases - bought the More release back in the days when I still considered blind-buying Horner worth my while - thinking that there was something I MUST be missing.  Never found it.  Did find a bunch of bad dialogue sprinkled throughout, though.

5 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I have both major-label Braveheart releases - bought the More release back in the days when I still considered blind-buying Horner worth my while - thinking that there was something I MUST be missing.  Never found it.  Did find a bunch of bad dialogue sprinkled throughout, though.

It took a long while before I found out it was worth getting the Braveheart OST on CD, but it's worth it for those final 15 - 20 minutes of music.

The Titanic OST I purchased about when the film came out.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Well, both are better than Avatar. ;)

Braveheart doesn't compare. I never warmed to this score. 

On 11/13/2020 at 10:36 AM, Chen G. said:

Well, it’s a sequence almost devoid of dialogue.

And: Titanic's score in the movie is a total mess. I can't even begin to compare those scores because of that. Both are so good.

From memory, Braveheart is virtually untouched in terms of tracking and looping: I think there's an additional Shakuhachi riff after Wallace assasinates Mornay, and a revised ending for Betrayal and Desolation, but otherwise its as composed.

2 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

From memory, Braveheart is virtually untouched in terms of tracking and looping: I think there's an additional Shakuhachi riff after Wallace assasinates Mornay, and a revised ending for Betrayal and Desolation, but otherwise its as composed.

What about micro edits?

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

The better question is: what is the best between the two most iconic (especially between non-film score fans) Horner love themes: For the Love of a Princess or My Heart Will Go On?