John Williams officially confirmed for Star Wars, Episode IX!

JohnnyD

https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-episode-ix-cast-announced

"Composer John Williams, who has scored every chapter in the Star Wars saga since 1977’s A New Hope, will return to a galaxy far, far away with Episode IX."

The Maestro is officially confirmed for the final chapter in the Star Wars Saga.

There was no doubt, of course. Also, I believe that the Maestro himself confirmed it months ago. It is still cool for it to be mentioned in the official press release.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, King Mark said:

well it was already confirmed by Williams but now officially confirmed by Disney

Yeah, because I was really worried they'd decide against it for absolutely no reason (actually, looking at the latter day Potters (where that did happen) I'm pretty damn thankful for Disney's pro-Williams approach)

1 hour ago, Josh500 said:

Great!

Any other projects JW is currently attached to? What's Spielberg up to these days?

IX will probably be JW's next score, despite being 17 months away. He'll probably start writing in December or January though. They're much further behind where TLJ was at the same proximity to release. 

Indy 5 was meant to be Spielberg's next film in 2020, but that was just bumped back to 2021. I highly doubt he'll go the next 3 years without a single film, so he'll probably return to one of his smaller dramas that ran into issues. Only problem is they can't find a child actor for Mortara nor a suitable lead for WSS.

Either way, the earliest would be end of 2019, at the same time as IX. 

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

I highly doubt he'll go the next 3 years without a single film

1993-1997

1998-2001

2005-2008

2008-2011

2012-2015

The man's still going strong but the >2 year lulls are becoming more frequent...

True... But I'm sure Spielberg knows his opportunities for collaborations with Williams are becoming increasingly rare. If I was in his position I wouldn't start slowing down with Williams turning 87 next year.

As it stands I doubt Williams will score Indy 5. More likely he'll recommend Powell and just compose the themes. 

3 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

If JW somehow isn't able to finish this score, how sure can we be that Powell will take over and not Giacchino?

Probably by the fact JNH, Desplat and Powell were all in line for Solo over him, and the two recent opportunities to score a Spielberg film instead went to Newman and Silvestri.

35 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Probably by the fact JNH, Desplat and Powell were all in line for Solo over him, and the two recent opportunities to score a Spielberg film instead went to Newman and Silvestri.

Wait, what?

Karol

6 hours ago, crumbs said:

Indy 5 was meant to be Spielberg's next film in 2020, but that was just bumped back to 2021. I highly doubt he'll go the next 3 years without a single film, so he'll probably return to one of his smaller dramas that ran into issues. Only problem is they can't find a child actor for Mortara nor a suitable lead for WSS.

I still haven't given up on Spielberg doing the remake of When Worlds Collide. That'll be a quasi sequel to War of the Worlds, film as well as score! How awesome would that be!

6 hours ago, crumbs said:

Just cast DiCaprio for both. He looks childish enough!

Didn't Spielberg pass on that movie to Stephen Sommers?

Edit: WTF, just saw Sommers hasn't directed more than one movie in a decade. What happened?

8 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I don't understand why Stevie feels the need to remake bad sci-fi films. 

No? That's more understandable than remaking good sci-fi films. If they're already good, there's no need to remake them. However, if the original is lacking in some respects or outright bad, Spielberg wants to do a better version.

5 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

1993-1997

1998-2001

2005-2008

2008-2011

2012-2015

The man's still going strong but the >2 year lulls are becoming more frequent...

I don't understand these dates. Several titles within several of those timeframes. But the 2008-2011 was definitely a "drought".

11 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Not saying I disagree with you but why the remake of West Side Story though?

Why not? What I don't understand is why people always need to know why....

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

Wouldn't you say it's better to create something original than wasting your time on a remake of something that was already great?

E.T., Jaws, Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park, Close Encounters, etc.

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Yes, he used to be original. Thanks for making my point clear. :D

Sure. Always glad to help, if you're incapable of making a point on your own. 😂 

Everything Spielberg does these days is an adaptation of a book, existing source material or a historical biopic. I don't even know what his last original movie was. The Terminal? A.I.?

Just now, crumbs said:

Everything Spielberg does these days is an adaptation of a book or existing source material. I don't even know what his last original property was. The Terminal? A.I.?

Spielberg is just the director! It's not as if he writes his own material (with a couple of exceptions). He just looks for good material to make a movie out of is all.

5 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I don't even know what his last original property was. The Terminal? A.I.?

No. Both adaptations.