John Williams officially confirmed for Star Wars, Episode IX!

JohnnyD

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So hopefully Williams starts writing before Christmas! I wonder if he caught up with JJ before filming to discuss potential ideas, or JJ suggested things he'd like Williams to start thinking about?

I imagine how to close out Rey's Theme in a meaningful and satisfying way would be front of Williams' mind with IX, along with how to expand and resolve Kylo Ren's theme.

2 hours ago, Locrius said:

Would there be something wrong with Powell doing it?

No, just the general indignation against Giacchino that's around here. 

There's a severe lack of piano at the front of the mix in all the scores. Obviously by design, but there wouldn't be a theme in the entire saga that doesn't sound as good on piano as it does on any other instrument. It's no coincidence he chose piano for Leia's tribute, knowing it would stand out as something reasonably out of the ordinary for his SW scores.

Maybe his ultimate end credits climax will be a closing reprise of Rey's Theme on piano? Surely it ends on that theme, with a touch of the Force/Main Theme in counterpoint, to close the book on the saga.

I think he skipped the proper end credits suite for TLJ knowing he'll devote much more energy to IX's suite.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

I think he skipped the proper end credits suite for TLJ knowing he'll devote much more energy to IX's suite.

Yeah, it takes a lot of energy to paste the Throne Room concert arrangement into the end credits suite...

That's a very negative outlook on things!

Williams is too infatuated by Rey to just regurgitate an existing concert arrangement into his IX end credits suite. It's going to be the last chance he gets to farewell Rey's Theme with an original suite.

He won't let us down.

27 minutes ago, crumbs said:

That's a very negative outlook on things!

Williams is too infatuated by Rey to just regurgitate an existing concert arrangement into his IX end credits suite. It's going to be the last chance he gets to farewell Rey's Theme with an original suite.

He won't let us down.

It will be Rey's Theme + Throne Room + Ep. IX themes.

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It will be Rey's Theme + Throne Room + Ep. IX themes.

Luke's Theme > Rey's Destiny/Parents Theme > March of the First Order > Triumph of the Rebellion > Rey's Theme Reprise and Force Theme Finale

6 hours ago, artguy360 said:

I suppose this is as good a topic as any for some Ep 9 JW wishful thinking: I really hope JW utilities the piano for some prominent, emotional music. 

Finn's Theme on piano

15 hours ago, Jerry said:

Anyone expecting a love theme for the love triangle (or is it a pentagon now?) between Rey, Finn, Poe, Rose, Maz, and Chewbacca?

Depending on how the story goes, I could see Williams perhaps seeing it necessary to write a fellowsh..., erm, friendship theme for the film. 

I think JJ will be more collaborative with Williams on what new themes to write. I get the feeling RJ just left Williams to his own devices to come up with whatever themes he saw fit, and ultimately he could only identify 3 primary new ideas (one for each of the key new characters and an Exile theme for Luke -- which was sadly underused).

IX doesn't appear to have an avalanche of new characters (nor did TLJ) so if IX is to have lots of new themes Williams will need to be quite "nebulous" in his thinking (ala Duel of the Fates or Battle of the Heroes type themes), rather than literal (Rey's Theme, Rose's Theme, Ren's Theme, March of the Resistance, etc.)

The obvious void has been the First Order not having an overt identity, but, ironically, that's wound up being a clever decision given the events of TLJ and Kylo Ren overthrowing Snoke.

• 1 month later...

A false rumour is starting to do the rounds that Williams has had to give up Episode IX because of scheduling conflicts. No source to back it up (the first thing anybody with half a brain checks for when somebody posts an unverified claim).

It seems a small crisis in brewing in Hollywood. I want films! I want TV! I want radio! I want books! I want newspapers! I want magazines! I want us on the air 24hrs a day! This is our moment, and at least ten JWfaners are going to watch it, read about it, and reply with a :lol:.

There's no news...like JW news.

1 hour ago, Gistech said:

A false rumour is starting to do the rounds that Williams has had to give up Episode IX because of scheduling conflicts. 

John Powell: Well, duty calls! 

What scheduling conflicts?! He has literally nothing else on his plate until 2020.

And he's already shown that Star Wars takes precedence over Spielberg on two occasions, so an unannounced Spielberg project isn't going to change anything.