John Williams officially confirmed for Star Wars, Episode IX!

JohnnyD

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do we know when JW plans to start composing for IX? I feel like it might be pretty soon.

I wonder too if a teaser will drop sometime before the end of the year. It probably won’t contain any original JW score, but it’ll be fun to speculate! (I remember how it went here with TFA’s trailers. Fun times!)

Yes, because Abrams was essentially starting from square 1 when he took over, the production schedule of IX is later than it was with VIII.

I remember Williams saying at the Hollywood Bowl '16 concert that he would be seeing a TLJ rough cut soon, which seemed shockingly quick at the time.

February?! Well, even if that’s the case, there’s probably a lot that’s ready to start scoring to.

I always imagined that JW’s VPO excursion was the last major non-SW thing on his plate before gearing up for IX. 

11 minutes ago, Iron_Giant said:

I wonder too if a teaser will drop sometime before the end of the year. It probably won’t contain any original JW score, but it’ll be fun to speculate!

I'd suspect we won't see a new teaser until 2019.

We got the TFA teaser in November (Black Friday 2014), but they've been tighter on that otherwise.  Rogue One's and The Last Jedi's first teasers were released in April (8 months before release).

Especially with Disney's disappointment in Solo's financial take, and publicly attributing those to timing issues, I think they're probably going to let a little air out, allow the public time to gain a little  bit of anticipation, and put out a teaser in April - probably in time for Avengers 4.

Possibly, at most this year, the title will be revealed before the year is out.  I'm assuming they've decided on a title by now but they may wait until next year to announce.  TLJ was announced in January 2017 and TFA in November 2014.

8 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Yes, because Abrams was essentially starting from square 1 when he took over, the production schedule of IX is later than it was with VIII.

I remember Williams saying at the Hollywood Bowl '16 concert that he would be seeing a TLJ rough cut soon, which seemed shockingly quick at the time.

Actually pretty crazy to think that IX started production in the late summer a year and a half before release, when at the same point in TLJ’s schedule they had finished production and JW was being shown the movie. JJ has a big hill to climb. 

Williams is definitely gonna be working on this one to the last minute.

All the more reason he ought to get started sooner rather than later!

With SW Celebration coming up in April, that would be the time to drop a second teaser trailer, after the first one dropped on Black Friday 2018. I hope we won't have to wait until April to see something official.

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

With Disney recently admitting there's possibly been too many SW films in too short time span, I'm surprised they didn't push back the premiere date of Ep. IX so Abrams could get some breathing room.

No, no, the Christmas-every-two-years rhythm must remain inviolate!

As mstrox said, they didn’t seem to have a problem waiting til April to show a TLJ teaser and that movie was done shooting quicker than TFA. So not holding my breath while they’re not even done filming.

2 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Williams is definitely gonna be working on this one to the last minute.

Maybe he'll run out of time and they'll track huge sequences with Phantom Menace music.

25 minutes ago, MrJosh said:

Maybe he'll run out of time and they'll track huge sequences with Phantom Menace music.

Revenge Of The Sith please. Stay consistent with TLJ.

I hope we get a sad rendition of the new Solo theme when Lando hears about his old buddy. 

4 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

And also...

what new themes might we expect from this film? A theme for Hux?

A Theme for the Knights of Ren maybe?

49 minutes ago, Arpy said:

No, we need more than anything else are more reprises of the Force Theme. There weren't enough in TLJ...

Yeah, I'm gonna need at least twice that many in IX. And they only count toward the total if it's a wistful horn solo with quiet strings.

I'm hoping that Williams writes at least three new concert arrangements for the new themes/material.  If the new themes/material are on par with the quality and quantity of the new themes in TFA, then I will be a mostly happy camper.

25 minutes ago, Balahkay said:

If the new themes/material are on par with the quality and quantity of the new themes in TFA, then I will be a mostly happy camper.

I wouldn't be too optimistic with regards to quantity. And not because I'm expecting another The Last Jedi, but because the third film in a trilogy tends to offer less opportunities for entirely new themes.

If we look back to both Return of the Jedi and Revenge of the Sith, both don't boast too many new thematic elements. In fact, two of the latter's "themes" are pieces from The Phantom Menace revisited by Williams.

The third film is as much a conclusion of the previous two films, as it is its own film, and as a result there tend not to be a lot of new narrative elements. I think so far we know of two new characters or so. So there's less for the composer to latch unto. Likewise, the composer himself may be more interested in paying off the existing thematic ideas than he is in introducing new ones.

Of course, depending on how Williams chooses to pay off those existing themes, such a lack of abundance of new themes might not turn out to be a problem. Williams isn't a composer that likes having too many leitmotivic ideas floating around, anyway.

Yeah, I agree. I think I'd be happy with just one strong concert arrangement of a new theme. Anything more would be a bonus.

I hope Williams doesn't do a cut and paste job for the end credits. This will with 99.99% certainty be his last Star Wars score so I hope he goes out with a bang.

I don't know about "cut and paste" but I, for one, would like it if the end-credits would feature snippets of the main themes of all nine entries (I think @Nick1066 first suggested this idea). It'd be neat!

Lets face it, this film can't ever really be the summation of all nine episodes: but the score still can. Kinda.

Just now, Chen G. said:

I don't know about "cut and paste" but I, for one, would like it if the end-credits would feature snippets of the main themes of all nine entries (I think @Nick1066 first suggested this idea). It'd be neat!

That would be really cool.

5 minutes ago, Damien F said:

I hope Williams doesn't do a cut and paste job for the end credits. This will with 99.99% certainty be his last Star Wars score so I hope he goes out with a bang.

I think JJ Abrams hopes that, too.

He will give him many opportunities to make the music shine, as he has done with his way of storytelling at TFA.
I could imagine that it's important to JJ that the score for Episode IX focuses more on new themes (compared to TLJ). Because he wants to hear something new again.
Don't forget he's a great John Williams Fan :)

Yeah, but also being the director (and one of the writers) of the first entry (of this trilogy, that is), would he not want Williams to see the existing themes through, first? I dunno.

About binary sunset...it must be in episode ix I just noticed all films have a rendition of that version of the force theme...except the empire strikes back. (Or was it when luke flies out of dagobah?)

Anakin farewells his mother in TPM. Anakin goes after the tuskens in AOTC. Obi wan giving luke to the Lars in ROTS.

Binary sunset in SW.

? In TESB

Funeral pyre for a Jedi in ROTJ.

Rey uses the force to get the lightsaber in TFA.

Finale of TLJ.

6 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

Some sort of First Order March would be in order.

Get the Hangar March on the OST and I'll be quite happy.

*See BluRay rips of TFA "You Need a Pilot" and also somewhere in TLJ when Phamsa marches Finn and Rose into the hangar.

4 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

About binary sunset...it must be in episode ix I just noticed all films have a rendition of that version of the force theme...except the empire strikes back. (Or was it when luke flies out of dagobah?)

Anakin farewells his mother in TPM. Anakin goes after the tuskens in AOTC. Obi wan giving luke to the Lars in ROTS.

Binary sunset in SW.

? In TESB

Funeral pyre for a Jedi in ROTJ.

Rey uses the force to get the lightsaber in TFA.

Finale of TLJ.

In TFA the binary sunset rendition comes at the very end of the film when Rey takes Luke's lightsaber out and holds it in front of him. The music for when Rey uses the force to get the lightsaber is tracked from Burning Homestead, not binary sunset. 

In ESB, the binary sunset-like rendition of the force theme occurs when Luke reaches out to Leia thru the force and she tells Chewbacca to turn the Falcon around.

13 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Lets face it, this film can't ever really be the summation of all nine episodes: but the score still can. Kinda.

JW actually said he wanted to do a similar thing with his Indiana Jones themes for IJIV, but he never did. Maybe IX will be the occasion?

JJ will absolutely request a new Main Title recording and a proper end credits suite, I reckon! He's gushed about Jedi Steps and Finale in the past.

I don't think anyone really knows what happened with TLJ, short of those rumours about HS&TP being his original intention (which doesn't seem likely, because he wrote both an opening and a coda for the eventual suite).

5 hours ago, Lord Zimmer said:

I think it will be 2.5 hours of Rey’s theme on a loop. 

Will the movie be 2.5 hours like The Last Jedi? I hope not. Abrams has a better sense of pace than Johnson.

3 minutes ago, crumbs said:

JW actually said he wanted to do a similar thing with his Indiana Jones themes for IJIV, but he never did. Maybe IX will be the occasion?

JJ will absolutely request a new Main Title recording and a proper end credits suite, I reckon! He's gushed about Jedi Steps and Finale in the past.

I don't think anyone really knows what happened with TLJ, short of those rumours about HS&TP being his original intention (which doesn't seem likely, because he wrote both an opening and a coda for the eventual suite).

Oh, its not like I actually think he will do such a suite, but here's for hoping.

But I do think he'll want to re-record the opening fanfare. After all, it'd be the last time. 

So was ROTS... at the time. :P

But yes, I'll be flabbergasted if I sit in that theatre in 13 months time, awaiting a fantastic new recording of the Main Title, and end up having the same disappointment as with TLJ.

It's all the more perplexing that he actually recorded it and ditched it. If his intention was keeping the original version he wouldn't have rerecorded in the first place, as with the prequels.

Anyway, JJ will sort it out. I get the feeling that's the type of detail he won't let slip like Rian did.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

What's HS&TP?

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

So was ROTS... at the time. :P

But yes, I'll be flabbergasted if I sit in that theatre in 13 months time, awaiting a fantastic new recording of the Main Title, and end up having the same disappointment as with TLJ.

It's all the more perplexing that he actually recorded it and ditched it. If his intention was keeping the original version he wouldn't have rerecorded in the first place, as with the prequels.

Anyway, JJ will sort it out. I get the feeling that's the type of detail he won't let slip like Rian did.

While I thoroughly enjoyed the music from TLJ, I don't think Johnson was the best director to "push" Williams out of his comfort zone and challenge him.  I remember some were expecting a POA type of situation.  I think it was definitely a mistake for Johnston to temp the entire movie with Williams own music.  It seems like he was just tempting him to imitate his own work.