John Williams officially confirmed for Star Wars, Episode IX!

JohnnyD

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

well, everybody else understood it but you. :lol:

I'm just saying that you sound dumb. Just make your point.

3 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Spielberg is just the director! It's not as if he writes his own material (with a couple of exceptions). He just looks for good material to make a movie out of is all.

Whatever one says about Steven Spielberg, he is much more than "just a director".

6 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Everything Spielberg does these days is an adaptation of a book, existing source material or a historical biopic. I don't even know what his last original movie was. The Terminal? A.I.?

His last original movie was Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, written by David Koepp! 

Ah, now we know why! :D

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

At least they were movies not made before.

You seen Pinocchio? I'd take it over Goofy Golf!

3 minutes ago, Richard said:

Whatever one says about Steven Spielberg, he is much more than "just a director".

Does he write his own movies? Generally no. That's what I meant.

From Wikipedia, which we know is always right:

Though Spielberg received sole credit for the script, he was assisted by Paul Schrader, John Hill, David Giler, Hal Barwood, Matthew Robbins, and Jerry Belson, all of whom contributed to the screenplay in varying degrees. 

4 minutes ago, Richard said:

I don't give a rat's ass about A.I., but research the history of CE3K, and you'll find Paul Schrader's name all over it.

Yeah, many many people worked on it. Spielberg among others. 

But generally Spielberg "just" directs and produces his movies. He isn't involved in the writing process.

Of course, the drafts of the script evolve greatly from the interaction with the director and producer (and Spielberg tends to occupy both positions). And there are stuff that a director will add to the script and stuff that will be removed in the edit, etc...

What were we talking again?

Oh yeah! When Worlds Collide

I sure hope that comes through, with another kickass sci-fi action score by John Williams! This one will also likely be reminiscent of the disaster movies JW used to do in the 70's! 😂 

11 hours ago, crumbs said:

IX will probably be JW's next score, despite being 17 months away. He'll probably start writing in December or January though. They're much further behind where TLJ was at the same proximity to release. 

Since Abrams is in charge now, my guess is Williams wont start writing until early spring and begin recording in the summer.

4 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

just so I can have fun reading reactions.

I can totally get that.

JWFan will literally blow up!

13 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

God no, Powell drums in an industry score...and a film set in the 50-60s. Yuck

Powell's percussion is just one of those things that divides many people here on JW Fan. I for one love it. If you want to argue, I hope you're hostility can be absorbed ;)!

It's nice to see a formal announcement of Williams involvement.  I don't recall an announcement like this for TLJ.  I believe the only confirmation we had at the time was from Williams himself.

On 7/30/2018 at 1:19 AM, Jerry said:

Powell's percussion is just one of those things that divides many people here on JW Fan. I for one love it. If you want to argue, I hope you're hostility can be absorbed ;)!

I really don't mind them in solo. Sometimes they are cool. But in a saga chapter or indy film I would not want them.

4 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

Indiana Jones and the Continental Drift 

I repeat that it could be a good idea to use the Bermuda Triangle in the next Indiana Jones movie. I don't see any other relevant subject for the sixties, because I think the movie will show Indy in the sixties, if my calculations are right.

2 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I repeat that it could be a good idea to use the Bermuda Triangle in the next Indiana Jones movie. I don't see any other relevant subject for the sixties, because I think the movie will show Indy in the sixties, if my calculations are right.

The JFK assassination!  Area 51!  Go-go dancing!  James Bond!

1 minute ago, Steve McQueen said:

The JFK assassination!  Area 51!  Go-go dancing!  James Bond!

Remember in the last chapter, Indy met... Aliens...

And could he also find a magical artifact in said temple which will allow him to go back in time, eliminate the plot of Indiana Jones 4 from continuity and so have the movie end with footage from the ending of The Last Crusade?

If this happens it will instantly become my new most revered Indiana Jones film.

Star Trek already did it. But. I honestly wouldn’t mind. They (Indiana Jones and his granddaughter, natch) end up transported back to the original (“Nazi”) series timeframe, have adventures, yadda yadda. Indiana Jones dies and passes the hat to Indiana Jane. Last scene recreates the riding-into-the-sunset from Last Crusade. And if they want to create more “sequels” about her, they’ll be set in the 30s where they belong, not in the 70s or 80s…

No. I don’t want the old Jones in The Last Crusade. I want everything after that film erased from existence!

Its too good an ending to follow it up with anything!

5 minutes ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

Why is Spielberg credited as author of the CE3K novelisation? Who really wrote it?

Have you read any movie novelizations? Many of them are just the script — scene for scene, line for line — with the barest of reworking into novel form. So “by Steven Spielberg, novel adapted by Leslie Waller” is quite fair.

3 minutes ago, Pellaeon said:

Have you read any movie novelizations? Many of them are just the script — scene for scene, line for line — with the barest of reworking into novel form. So “by Steven Spielberg, novel adapted by Leslie Waller” is quite fair.

I've read stacks of them. Besides newspapers, they're pretty much all I read.