Lorne Balfe: "The M:I theme is probably more recognisable than Star Wars."

Lorne Balfe: "The M:I theme is probably more recognisable than Star Wars."  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree?

That depends on the point of view. The first films I watched between the two franchises was "The Phantom Menace" back in the 2000s. The trauma was great and I stayed away from SW for many years. I also never watched an MI movie, but the theme played on RADIO. So I venture to say that perhaps the THEME of MI is more popular than the theme of SW. SW is also outclassed by the theme of 007. But the three are extremely popular.

I wouldn't be surprised if Mission:Impossible got used in more contexts than Star Wars, as both are immensely popular and tied into their respective series, but the former is the archetypal spy music, the sneaking serenade if you will (just see films lile Sandlot and...didn't Revenge of the Nerds use it?, as an example). With the Star Wars theme, though...you have Star Wars.

1 hour ago, Nick Parker said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Mission:Impossible got used in more contexts than Star Wars, as both are immensely popular and tied into their respective series, but the former is the archetypal spy music, the sneaking serenade if you will (just see films lile Sandlot and...didn't Revenge of the Nerds use it?, as an example). With the Star Wars theme, though...you have Star Wars.

And

The only advantage MI has is an 11 year head start. 

In my experience, many people confuse the ROTLA, Superman and Star Wars themes if you play them. I would argue more average people recognize the fanfare from Jurassic Park than Star Wars.

12 hours ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

In my experience, many people confuse the ROTLA, Superman and Star Wars themes if you play them. I would argue more average people recognize the fanfare from Jurassic Park than Star Wars.

Exactly. As exemplified when I was at the Hollywood Bowl in 2012, and people waved their light saber sticks when SUPERMAN was played. That's the theme's drawback; it's Straussian smilarities to other themes in Williams' oeuvre. M:I is far more idiosyncratic that way, for a general audience. But I voted STAR WARS nonetheless. It seems to have had a more consistent staying power in the public consciousness. But I agree with whoever said it's a bit farfetched to compare the two in terms of popularity, as no massive survey has been made. Better to just embrace them as two iconic film/TV themes.

Just now, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

I'm sure general audiences confuse the M:I and Bond themes.

No, they confuse the Bond theme with "Secret Agent Man".

If you take the average kiddo and play these two themes for them, I have a feeling they'll say Star Wars easier than they could say Mission: Impossible (and not just 'cause the syllables). 

7 minutes ago, Thor said:

Exactly. As exemplified when I was at the Hollywood Bowl in 2012, and people waved their light saber sticks when SUPERMAN was played

That could've just been a sign of enthusiasm. What would they do, drop their lightsabers and wave their hands in the air?

31 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

That could've just been a sign of enthusiasm. What would they do, drop their lightsabers and wave their hands in the air?

They should have brought capes. Lazy kids...

5 minutes ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

General audiences probably don't even know the difference between Star Trek and Star Wars.

"Star Wars is the one with the gay robot, and Star Trek is the one with the gay Asian, right?"

8 minutes ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

General audiences probably don't even know the difference between Star Trek and Star Wars.

Actually, that's true.  When Nimoy died someone I knew actually asked "He was in that Star Wars movie with Harrison Ford, right?"

31 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

Me and my (small) real life circle are by no means Star Trek or Star Wars fan boys.

You can fix  that.

7 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

Why would their age make a difference in regards to how unattractive they find me to be?

Hey it could be flattering! One of the best compliments I ever got was after playing a show, a musician came up to me and said, "You're a mean motherfucker." 

13 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

Why would their age make a difference in regards to how unattractive they find me to be?

Lowered expectations?

15 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Hey it could be flattering! One of the best compliments I ever got was after playing a show, a musician came up to me and said, "You're a mean motherfucker." 

Burlesque shows? :sarcasm:

1 minute ago, Nick Parker said:

No, it was nothing like those dirty shows, the kind Josh gave us in Episode IX confirmation thread.

You're a musician, right? What do you play? I'm guessing the saxophone. :)