New Williams Concert Arrangement: "Adagio from The Force Awakens" premiering August 7th 2018 at Tanglewood [UPDATE: World premiere was March 2018 in Mexico City - video on page 1]

Jay

By example the way I would list the 9th Symphony of Beethoven on my page would be like this. That's the composition years, as simple as it is.

Symphony No. 9 (1822-1824)

So by that logic, shouldn't Highwood's Ghost be under 2018?

Highwood's Ghost (2017-2018)

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

So by that logic, shouldn't Highwood's Ghost be under 2018?

Highwood's Ghost (2017-2018)

Yes, I did that finally.

If you know other concert works that have been written over more than 1 year, just tell me.  I already used this method for the Violin Concerto (1974-76) by example.

I have no idea whatsoever.  Doesn't really matter to me when he started writing something or how long it took >shrug<

Well, it doesn't really matter when it was composed in 1 year or less, but it matters when it's more than that. It shows the works's complexity and the effort the composer put on it.

For The Violin Concerto, it's really significant to know it took three years to achieve (and that it was then revised in 1998). I try to put all the info I have.

Well, especially when so much of it is speculation.  Perhaps after he's passed and we have years of scholars going through his papers, like with composers like Mozart, we'll have better information about actual composition dates.  For now, while he's a living, working composer, premiere date is most useful.

6 minutes ago, Miguel Andrade said:

The Bassoon Concerto was completed in 1993 but only premiered in 1995.

Different places choose to list it as 93 or 95.  I'm inclined to say 93 in this matter.

7 hours ago, TownerFan said:

It’s all valid arguments. However, the most usual way in which classical works are being catalogued chronologically, it’s when the finished composition is submitted to the publisher. It’s mostly for royalty and copyright sake, I know (hence why Stravinsky used to submit revisions many times, so he could renew and collect more royalty money), but from a music history point of view is also convenient and logical.

Not sure I agree.   Here is a music publisher listing of a work by Rachmaninoff

Symphony in D Minor (first movement) (1891)
Work Notes
Available in the USA and Canada only
Publisher
Hans Sikorski
Category
Orchestra
Year Composed:1891
Duration
15 Minutes
Orchestration
Availability

The year listed is composition year.  The work was not published during The Rach's life.

Notice Mahler's 10:

Symphony No. 10 (Cooke completion) (1910)
Publisher
Associated Music Publishers Inc
Category
Orchestra
Sub Category
Large Orchestra
Year Composed:1910
Arranger/Editor
completed by Deryck Cooke
Duration
1 Hour 14 Minutes
Availability

The year listed is 1910 however the version is Cooke III completed in 1989.  The premiere was 1924 for the first movement, 1964 for Cooke I, 1976 for Cooke II, and 1990 for Cooke III.  The original composition date is listed, not the premiere. 

The German publisher, Schott Musik, lists both composition date and premiere date separately.  Neither publisher lists publication date.  True about Stravinsky, there are multiple editions and those revisions were mostly made for copyright issues however the original editions still exist and are still performed so the publishers maintain multiple editions for rent identifying them by the year of the new edition. 

Ok, wait a second.  I just realized this is a stupid and pedantic side conversation and has nothing to do with how awesome Adagio from The Force Awakens is.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

An oeuvre that's especially fun (read: confusing) to delve into regarding dates is Charles Ives.

Dvorak symphonies were numbered in order of publication which annoys everyone.  His Symphony No. 2 was the second one published but the seventh one composed.  So some editions list it as No. 2 while it is known today as No. 7.  The famous No. 9 (From a New World) used to No. 5 then became No. 8 when reordered but Dvorak believed one of the earlier symphonies was lost but it was later found.  So four symphonies were published after his last one but were composed earliest in his career.  A mess!!

I just made a quick edit of this performance mixed with the Starkiller track from the soundtrack. Just something to listen to till a better recording comes along. PM if interested.

• 3 months later...
On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 1:08 AM, obijonkenobi said:

I just made a quick edit of this performance mixed with the Starkiller track from the soundtrack. Just something to listen to till a better recording comes along. PM if interested.

Obijonkenobi - you did a fantastic job with this!  Thank you.

On 8/5/2018 at 2:08 AM, obijonkenobi said:

I'm curious now; how come you needed the OST?

Glad the thread got bumped as I wasn't aware of this until now. I'm not a particular fan of the non-film, non-OST concert arrangements but this is a lovely piece, more delicate, hushed and unhurried than in any film, OST or pops concert context. Starkiller/Torn Apart, while most strongly sampled at 90 sec in, sounds more like what might've been a jumping off point for newly invented material. He's dedicated so much precious late in life time to spinning out new compositions based on his film work, which is fantastic but a part of me wishes there had been a body of numbered symphonies begun at some point. Like opera, just not his mission, I guess.

5 hours ago, The Five Tones said:

He's dedicated so much precious late in life time to spinning out new compositions based on his film work, which is fantastic but a part of me wishes there had been a body of numbered symphonies begun at some point. Like opera, just not his mission, I guess.

I like it based on film work.

It is my impression that Williams pretty much made it his life's work to prove that film music is worth being taken seriously.