SAVING PRIVATE RYAN 20th Anniversary Edition from La-La Land Records

Jay

8 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

I was being sarcastic, I think that you propose an interesting idea.

No, you were not. Just saying the opposite of what you want to say is not necessarily sarcasm.

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

E6EC331B-21B3-4321-9273-0F859AB7AD2C.gif

On anti-sarcasm-day you would get banned for that gif forever!

I just went to the lalalandrecords site and saw the page for Saving Private Ryan and then it was immediately taken down.

The track listing was:

The Original Album tracks.

Followed by two additional tracks:

The Film Version of "High School Teacher" which was only like 4 and a half minutes (vs. 11:03 on the original album)

and

The Film Version of "The Last Battle"  which was like a few seconds longer than the original track so like 8:03 instead of 7:57.

Description mentioned that Mike M did some clean up of the original masters.

Yes, it was at this page https://lalalandrecords.com/saving-private-ryan-20th-anniversary-limited-edition/   which is still in my history.  But now displays a page not found error.  

They must have been getting it ready for tomorrow.  

I wish I could remember what the description said, but thought the mention of the album master having some clean up by Mike M might make some folks happier???

Mentioned that the film versions were sourced from another source like the digital files or something or other... I wish I had a better memory.  But I am sure they will be posting it soon enough.

I know.

I went to their site because of this thread.  And then saw it listed right on the home page.  And was like "Wow, they released it a day early" and went to the page but it was only an Add to Wish List button instead of order.   So I went back to the homepage to see if they mentioned it was "Coming Soon" and then thought I should go back and get a screengrab, but then it resolved to an error.   

I would imagine they are preparing to release this info in social media any minute though since it was all prepared.

JW vetoed the two unreleased tracks, disapproved the "cleaning" of the master and asked to replace the essay written on the booklet with a half page introduction by Steven Spielberg on one page, the tracklist and random photos of the production on the other page. That's why the link was pulled down.

1 hour ago, ConcertAttendee said:

I just went to the lalalandrecords site and saw the page for Saving Private Ryan and then it was immediately taken down.

The track listing was:

The Original Album tracks.

Followed by two additional tracks:

The Film Version of "High School Teacher" which was only like 4 and a half minutes (vs. 11:03 on the original album)

and

The Film Version of "The Last Battle"  which was like a few seconds longer than the original track so like 8:03 instead of 7:57.

Description mentioned that Mike M did some clean up of the original masters.

Well, if the sound quality is even slightly improved, that's good news.

Bummer about there being no alternatives (or even songs!), though.

13 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Just saw this in my inbox. As expected, OST plus the two film insert tracks. 

Yes, also because, as far as I know, no more music has been written for that score. The release should be complete.

49 minutes ago, crumbs said:

RETAIL PRICE: $19.98

Well, the score is from 1998!

35 minutes ago, Score said:

Yes, also because, as far as I know, no more music has been written for that score. The release should be complete.

I'm sure they saved a three-second insert for a future release, which will be "discovered" once the current expansion is sold out.

So which part of the lengthy High School Teacher is that film version from? If I remember correctly there is only a short added snippet somewhere in the middle of the sequence.

I knew this would be the OST with bonus tracks but I would have loved to see a C&C version of the score without the entirely needless opening with Hymn to the Fallen which is like starting the whole listening experience with the finale of the work. Which of course is a regular JW modus operandi of album compiling.

Still I guess as a hyper fanatic John Williams collector I'll order this as soon as it comes available.

2 minutes ago, Incanus said:

I knew this would be the OST with bonus tracks but I would have loved to see a C&C version of the score without the entirely needless opening with Hymn to the Fallen which is like starting the whole listening experience with the finale of the work.

You only have to skip the first track, you know. ;)

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

You only have to skip the first track, you know. ;)

The OST isn't entirely chronological if I remember correctly.

I guess the most logical option is to delete the opening track then replace the Last Battle OST track with its equivalent film version (is this the microedited track or the one with the insert?)

1 minute ago, TownerFan said:

Here's the chronological playlist:

Revisiting Normandy 4:06
Omaha Beach 9:15

Approaching the Enemy 4:31
Finding Private Ryan 4:37
Wade’s Death 4:30

High School Teacher (Film Version) 4:31

Defense Preparations 5:54
The Last Battle (Film Version) 8:02
Hymn to the Fallen 6:10

Thank you Maurizio! :) 

6 hours ago, crumbs said:

We already knew MM had cleaned up the original digital masters, probably making subtle tweaks to edits or removing studio noises. This is not news. 

I like studio noises, especially breathing of brass and woodwind players.  

31 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

Here's the chronological playlist:

Revisiting Normandy 4:06
Omaha Beach 9:15

Approaching the Enemy 4:31
Finding Private Ryan 4:37
Wade’s Death 4:30

High School Teacher (Film Version) 4:31

Defense Preparations 5:54
The Last Battle (Film Version) 8:02
Hymn to the Fallen 6:10

Out of interest, where does that leave the 11 minute OST version of High School Teacher? Does that just have repeated music from elsewhere on the OST? 

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Not $19.44?

Because 19.98 seems to be the base price for LLL one disc expanded scores. Which was correct assumption btw.

36 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Why does the hymn need to be repeeated twice anyway? Wouldn't it be much more moving if the album starts with Normandy? I seriously doubt they'll ever sell those 4000 units too.

Yes but they wont press another 4000 right away. I suppose they will be press 1000 first and as sale proceeds they will keep bringing it up. I'm sure the 4000 units was probably part of the deal they signed and they have the LP vinyl also planned.

I wont rush out to get this immediatley but will pick this up as more lucrative titles are prepared in coming month(s).

Shit, that means an expansion from 2018 is going to be $20.18! Stop it now before it's too late!

3 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Because 19.98 seems to be the base price for LLL one disc expanded scores. Which was correct assumption btw.

I was wondering whether they'd include the exact same version of Hymn to the Fallen again twice. They did.

Here it doesn't bother me overmuch, however, since there's no more missing music anyway.

Looking forward to this!

1 hour ago, lemoncurd said:

I like studio noises, especially breathing of brass and woodwind players.  

Yeah, me too.

But more. I've grown fond of the creaking chair at the end of Journey to the Island.... 😂