Danny Elfman's MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - 2019 2CD La-La Land Edition

Jay

Yea, I completely understand why the industry as a whole is shifting to downloads and streaming, and hope that liner notes don't go away if the film score niche industry heads that way too.

Although I suppose we're starting to see this happen with stuff like Ghostbusters getting a major label release with no notes (and missing cues) instead of a specialty label getting to do it right

On 9/11/2019 at 11:13 AM, Jay said:

Five or Six Years!?  Five or Six Years!?

I mean, how long have people been waiting for Conan the Destroyer? How long did they wait for The Ten Commandments? From the time MV first hinted that Harry Potter was "close" to the time of its actual release was 5 years. That's a long time, sure, but it doesn't seem terribly unusual anymore, well, not to me anyway.

Sure but you don't understand, the liner notes usually don't get written towards the beginning of the process, they typically get written towards the end. You can't very well refer to track names and numbers before a program's even been assembled! 

Lucky!

I didn't get a shipping notice until late Saturday, and tracking says it's still in Burbank, so I guess I won't get it until Tuesday or later

22 hours ago, Jay said:

Still no shipping notice for me. 

And Mark this is absolutely worth picking up. Get it AND Howard

I probably will, I have the original release. 

Nice!  I hope mine arrives soon, tracking hasn't been updated today so I don't even know if it left California yesterday or not

@OneBuckFilms any further commentary on the set?  Have you read Jeff's notes yet?

I've listened to the score a couple of times, and the film versions of the cues are interesting. I can see why they put certain versions on the album, bu as per my ways, I much prefer this complete presentation.

There are some real gems in there, Langley being a really good presentation of the TV theme.

Also really enjoying the mastering on CD 2, nothing sounds off or poorly crossfaded, with good separation between Zoom A and Zoom B in the track, for instance.

For me, this score really flows well in complete form. Lots of fun, whimsy and tension at the same time. There's a groove that comes out in this score that reminds me a lot of Men In Black, and a couple of people said it reminded them of "The Simpsons", which made me chuckle.

The artwork seems great, but I've yet to read the liner notes. "Good morning, Mr. Cruise..." made me chuckle.

It appears the track breakdown is only for CD 2, and the score album is simply mentioned as being the original album presentation from what I saw on a quick skim.

Sound quality is impeccable as usual.  Liner notes were a nice quick read but does a great job of explaining the various themes and motifs, some of which aren't necessarily as obvious as others.  Such a good action score and you guys are right about all the percussion.  Really great stuff.  

Listening now. Contrary to my initial reservations, the expanded presentation works quite well as a listening experience. I always assumed the original album was going to be the best possible version but the film version actually works very well. It's a very intricate score, almost to a fault, so having it all really makes sense. For my money, it doesn't really have any fat per se. The music itself is fantastic - not like anything heard in these type of films.

Interestingly, the liner notes never mention Alan Silvestri or the fact Elfman worked on a very tight schedule. It sort of jumps straight into the musical analysis. But maybe mentioning troubled production goes against the myth of impossibly smooth artistic collaborations on Tom Cruise movies. Either way, I'm happy to report the notes go in quite a depth to analyse how specific motifs are used throughout the film. I also noticed how The Plot theme is merged with Elfman's own theme in many places kind of like what he did with Alan Silvestri's Avengers theme in Age of Ultron. While there are quite a few strong scores in the series, this one remains the most satisfying on creative level.

Karol

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

Interestingly, the liner notes never mention Alan Silvestri or the fact Elfman worked on a very tight schedule. It sort of jumps straight into the musical analysis. But maybe mentioning troubled production goes against the myth of impossibly smooth artistic collaborations on Tom Cruise movies.

Woah, that's really interesting!  MV posted this last year:

"LLLCD 1411 - Mission Impossible 20th Anniversary 2 cd set (yes, it was supposed to be released in 2016, but we are still waiting on a rewrite/interview for the notes). Maybe next year? :("

So maybe that's exactly it, the original notes mentioned all that, and then they were asked to change it.  Interesting!

Either way, I'm happy to report the notes go in quite a depth to analyse how specific motifs are used throughout the film. I also noticed how The Plot theme is merged with Elfman's own theme in many places

Oh yea, I have always loved that about this score!

Well I came home from work last night to find my CD waiting in perfect condition in a nice bubbler mailer from LLL! (Y)

Opened it up this morning to put it in the car to listen to on the way to work....only to remember my wife's car (which we bought last November) doesn't come with a CD player :lol:

So now I go to rip it so that I can put it on my phone and listen via bluetooth on my commute tonight... only to remember my work laptop doesn't come with a disc drive :lol:

So I found an old USB drive in the IT closet, got it working, downloaded EAC, got it installed and configured, broke through the firewall because freedb is blocked at work apparently... only to find out they don't even have this disc in their DB yet!  :angryfire:

So now I have to manually type in all 24 track names, or just put them on my phone unnamed.... :bash:

• 2 weeks later...

Whooo boy, I love this CD.

I've listened to it a few times, and it's just terrific.

I always thought the old releases - the song OST, the Point score CD, the Music For a Darkened Theater suite - sounded kinda muddy.

The recording session leak was great, not only because of all the remaining music, but also the raw unmastered sound was an improvement over whatever happened when making the old 90s CDs.

However this release improves on that even more, really showing the difference mastering for listening can make.  The unmastered session files sound fine, there's nothing wrong with them, but everything just pops a little more with Matessino's mastering work here.

And the whole main program is just expertly assembled, it flows super well the entire time, never a dull moment, nice ebb and flow, nice narrative structure.

I will listen to this release very often, it's very very good. Kudos to all involved!

Just ordered it along with HOWARD THE DUCK, and AIRFORCE ONE. 

I never warmed to it with an exception of a few cues. So Iam taking an awful risk, Jay. :sarcasm:

If you didn't like the OST, the complete score won't change your mind or anything. It also wouldn't make sense to compare it to your other Elfman favorites because it's so different from what he normally does. But on its own it's such a fun and interesting score.

Actually reading Jeff's liner notes might increase your appreciation of it, as him going through all the themes and how they appear in various configurations is fairly enlightening 

• 1 month later...

Finally ordered this after the Veteran's Day discount. It's not much, but it's within the range I'm willing to pay for a 2 disc set.

Is it safe to say that "Betrayal (film version)" is the only thing that wasn't on the leak? There is only one version there, and the alts that were present for other cues are accounted for on the LLL release. Perhaps this was the one thing they needed to pull out a separate source for.

• 4 weeks later...

This is the release of the year for me, can't believe this has finally been released. The OST release probably had the most micro-edits that I wanted back in of any OST, barring perhaps Revenge of the Sith.

Can echo the statements here as well. I was so frustrated with how inaudible a lot of the elements were on the leak, so it's nice this managed to remedy that. I probably like Intrada's Young Sherlock more in terms of its contents and presentation, but this was pretty darn nice as well.

• 1 year later...

I'm going to blind-buy this based on all the positive recommendations, and the samples sound great!

I remember liking the score from seeing the film, so I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

Agreed! This was one of several scores that got me 'into' film music, so to finally get an expansion after 15+ years of being a fan was very exciting.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

THE FOLLOWING TITLES ARE GOING OUT OF PRINT ON 6/30/23 (or when the stock sells out...whichever happens first)

LESS THAN 200 UNITS REMAIN

MISSION IMPOSSIBLE '96 ELFMAN (2-CD SET)

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=151424&forumID=1&archive=0

• 1 month later...