Star Trek: Picard (2020 TV Series)

Wojo

22 minutes ago, Ghostbusters II said:

That's not canon.

Yes it is. The Destruction of Romulus took place in the Prime timeline.

21 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

True, it's nikon.

Forget it Alex, its Star Trek.

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Yes it is. The Destruction of Romulus took place in the Prime timeline.

Wait so what got taken out in Nemesis? I thought I remembered a planet getting blown up at the beginning. 

5 minutes ago, Ghostbusters II said:

The Romulan senate. Well they didn't blow up, they were turned to dust. That was canon.

Oh yeahhhh! I just remembered that dope-ass growly trombone melody Goldsmith wrote and thought it was a super-cataclysmic thing.

6 minutes ago, Ghostbusters II said:

Abrams Trek is not canon

Kurtzman is drivin' the boat, chief!

17 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Wait so what got taken out in Nemesis? I thought I remembered a planet getting blown up at the beginning. 

Romulus gets destroyed in the Prime timeline at some point after Nemesis, despite efforts of Spock to save it.

The destruction sends both Spock and Nemo back in time, which causes the Kelvin timeline.

Its not difficult!

10 minutes ago, Ghostbusters II said:

Abrams Trek is not canon.

The Kelvin timeline is completely canon.

11 hours ago, Stefancos said:

No one here cares, they prefer The Orville, Joe.

Oh yeah aka Special Needs Star Trek.

Wrong Stefan, Kelvinverse is not canon...

Its mostly 3 bad films with energetic casts and mostly suck ass MG music.

Remember, it's only canon if it doesn't retcon stuff in a way that a significant subset of fans dislikes. The Last Jedi also shows us that it's not canon if it features strong women or minorities. Really, the only part of Trek that is canon is Code of Honor.

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

TOS devotees didn't immediately like TNG.

As a STAR TREK fan I did. 

Btw Star Trek is the only show you can call just Star Trek. 

I guess he was made to look even older in Logan

K.M. Who needs to post a bit more to raise his popularity and make someone's list

I was hoping they'd pick up from the end of All Good Things with Old Man Picard and he recounts 'Lost' tales aboard the Enterprise involving characters we never got to see on the other decks of the ship.

22 hours ago, Ghostbusters II said:

My "blah" reaction to TLJ had nothing to do with minorities or strong women.

Nor mine. But many others', obviously.

21 hours ago, Ghostbusters II said:

A lot of people didn't immediately like TNG. By most accounts, the show only became great in the third season.

There wasn't much to like about TNG immediately. The first season is shit, and the second isn't much better.

1 minute ago, Marian Schedenig said:

the second isn't much better.

Mostly agreed, but I've always been a Pulaski fan!  She was a more interesting character than Crusher.

41 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Mostly agreed, but I've always been a Pulaski fan!  She was a more interesting character than Crusher.

Oh, nothing against Pulaski! Although I don't mind Crusher in the later seasons. 

3 hours ago, Arpy said:

I was hoping they'd pick up from the end of All Good Things with Old Man Picard and he recounts 'Lost' tales aboard the Enterprise involving characters we never got to see on the other decks of the ship.

Terrible idea. I don't want to see them reinvent the D and maybe E using the design aesthetics of contemporary Star Trek (JJ-verse and STD), and claim it's a continuation of tech from twenty years ago. It doesn't fly. 

I want to finally see a post-Voyager Star Trek timeline that's not the ST Online franchise. 

4 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Oh, nothing against Pulaski! Although I don't mind Crusher in the later seasons. 

She had some great episodes in S2, and she had a sassy mouth to throw barbs at JLP. 

The actress was also delightful in TOS' Return to Tomorrow. We haven't gotten to Diana Muldaur's other episode yet. 

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

A common myth. Season 2 is already a vast improvement.

I think they both get lumped in together often because Season 1 and 2 have this really weird and low-budget vibe that came from experimenting and finding what the playbook of the show would be. Stylistically, on a lot of fronts, they're definitely the odd ducks compared to Seasons 3-7 (although I personally feel that a lot of Season 7 fits tonally and quality-wise with 2, and, unfortunately, 1). And both of them to me have this sci-fi pulp short story kind of feel to them, like a story you would read if you picked up one of those crusty, goldenflower page, funny-smelling sci-fi anthology books from the '50s.

But on a fundamental level, I agree with you that Season 2 was a jump up. It has some of my favorite episodes in the series, such as Q Who, Peak Performance, Measure of a Man, and that one where Riker does some culture study on the Klingon ship. Can't think of any highlights from the first one. 

3 hours ago, Ghostbusters II said:

Pulaski is underrated.

When I first went through the series 6 years ago, I thought, "Yayyy, get the old lady off, bring back Crusher!" But as time progresses I understand more and more her appeal. Shame they totally dropped her ass and treated her like a sub for a gig, never once revisiting her in any way.

TNG S1&2 had some shitty sets and lame character designs, but I've always been more concerned with the stories which is where the real magic is.

15 hours ago, xWxzek said:

Terrible idea. I don't want to see them reinvent the D and maybe E using the design aesthetics of contemporary Star Trek (JJ-verse and STD), and claim it's a continuation of tech from twenty years ago. It doesn't fly. 

I want to finally see a post-Voyager Star Trek timeline that's not the ST Online franchise. 

I know, it's shit, but I wouldn't put it past any of the ideas they actually looked into for this show!

16 hours ago, Stefancos said:
22 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

There wasn't much to like about TNG immediately. The first season is shit, and the second isn't much better.

A common myth. Season 2 is already a vast improvement.

Some of it is. Some of it isn't.