Star Trek: Picard (2020 TV Series)

Wojo

• 3 weeks later...

That's weird.  I can't remember the last time I saw a popup anywhere.  I have adblocker installed in Chrome on my computers and phones

https://www.google.com/amp/s/io9.gizmodo.com/alex-kurtzmans-plan-for-more-star-trek-than-ever-before-1835617146/amp

I'm thinking the putz wasn't fired. Here he is talking out of his ass.

What [Star Trek does] have is new generations, and what I can tell you is that Trek in general finds people when they’re about between nine and twelve. It’s never reached younger than that. It’s never tried to, and to me that’s a hugely missed opportunity

As a child well under the age of nine during Star Trek's prime in the late 80s and 90s, it reached me. It did so without pandering to little kids with the exception of dolls and tricorder toys, charming by-products of the series' popularity. This guy is an idiot.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/deadline.com/2019/06/michael-chabon-showrunner-star-trek-picard-cbs-all-access-series-1202638580/amp/

Well there we have it. Any of y'all read his stuff? Michael Chabon is a dude I have a lot of respect for, and feel like I would enjoy his writing very much...but everytime I've tried, I never felt that connection and always fell off.

All that said, I'm a lot more confident about the show now that he's at the helm.

24 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/deadline.com/2019/06/michael-chabon-showrunner-star-trek-picard-cbs-all-access-series-1202638580/amp/

Well there we have it. Any of y'all read his stuff? Michael Chabon is a dude I have a lot of respect for, and feel like I would enjoy his writing very much...but everytime I've tried, I never felt that connection and always fell off.

All that said, I'm a lot more confident about the show now that he's at the helm.

I loved The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay/

1 minute ago, Wycket said:

I loved The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay/

That's one of the ones I _didn't_ try for whatever reason. From what you read, how fit do you feel he is for a Picard series?

22 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

That's one of the ones I _didn't_ try for whatever reason. From what you read, how fit do you feel he is for a Picard series?

Well, the book itself is basically on take on the creation of Superman, with the title duo replacing Siegel and Shuster.  There are a couple of good action pieces in the novel, but he has a good way with relationships, particularly those that go bad.  I do not know if it will translate well to this show, but he's definitely a good writer. 

I mean, he can't be any worse than Kurtzman.

All I know about him is he is a somewhat underwhelming selling novelist, nothing he has ever written would appeal to me.

I hope he does well.

• 2 weeks later...

Why is it funny? Two episodes of TNG dealt heavily with the Picard vineyard estate...

In "Family," he visits his family after being de-Borgified to vent emotionally, and in "... All Good Things," Picard's alternate future is shown tending a French vineyard. It's a future that never comes to pass, but now elements of it could. 

After his surviving family dies during Generations and he quits Starfleet, a vineyard is Picard's last logical tie to his roots. 

Is it funny because it's predictable?

I wish that Ian McKellen showed up to show us the social media scene on late 24th century Earth with his best bud, but I don't see it happening. 

I hadn't seen those episodes, or knew of that backstory. In which case I now better understand the angle. But still, it's a bit cheesy, the tone they *appear* to have landed on. Everything about that poster screams cornball to me, but hey ho, just my opinion. I ain't no Trekkie am I. Maybe this is just what was needed for you guys, after Discovery.

26 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I hadn't seen those episodes, or knew of that backstory. In which case I now better understand the angle. But still, it's a bit cheesy, the tone they *appear* to have landed on. Everything about that poster screams cornball to me, but hey ho, just my opinion. I ain't no Trekkie am I. Maybe this is just what was needed for you guys, after Discovery.

I love those episodes, but this "poster" is still lame.

On 6/27/2019 at 11:31 PM, Nick Parker said:

Is this the same person who wrote THE MYSTERIES OF PITTSBURGH? I like that novel, especially as I used to live ninety miles away, and I visited many of the locations that are in the book.

This is the grown man’s Star Trek, where Picard ponds his life decisions, sits calmly and reflects about times long gone and reminisces about how he ended up on this vineyard with his one and only friend, his faithful dog...

Snoooooore!

OK, so is old man Picard just a framing device? Is the show about flashbacks, and it’s the flashbacks that has the action and the actual stuff that people want to see?

In that case, the whole show will be like that episode of Young Indiana Jones that had Harrison Ford in it, where the framing is young Indy, but the audience just wants Harrison.

11 minutes ago, rough cut said:

This is the grown man’s Star Trek ... Snoooooore!

You want Star Trek for kids? Star Trek Babies?!

fbcd2172e995164290c9104859108e9a.jpg

5 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

You want Star Trek for kids? Star Trek Babies?!

fbcd2172e995164290c9104859108e9a.jpg

Daddy's little Number One looks like he's taking a Number Two in his pants. 

4 hours ago, The Original said:

Maybe he's making a captain's log.

You ever think you're done, you wipe, you put your pants on, stand up, but you need to go more? 

Captain's Log: Supplemental

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

“Because he’s no longer in Starfleet, he no longer carries the weight of that behind him,” Kurtzman says. “In some ways, it’s easier to be [a great man] when you’re a captain. But it’s an entirely different thing when you don’t have an army behind you. When you want to get something done and fight an injustice, how do you do that when you’re really only one man?”

That sounds like it could be really cool.