Star Trek: Picard (2020 TV Series)

Wojo

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Without reading the article, that sentence is basically what Picard did in the future timeline in "All Good Things..."  He went into space without rejoining Starfleet to, well, it was to solve a mystery. 

Bloody hell, the madmen, they did it. This actually has me hyped in a way Discovery did not and could never have.

Spoiler

Seven of Nine, Hugh, the Borg and Data! And Troi and Riker confirmed to appear too!

What did they do to convince Brent Spiner to come back?

It's been about 20 years in-universe since Nemesis. Reckon Riker's still in command of the Titan, or do you reckon he got his wish and he's now commanding the Enterprise?

They're getting the gang together for maximum nostalgia, a la The Force Awakens. Cool!

Now listen, mind: none of you better go spoiling this whole decade by fondly remembering this in years to come! Enjoy the show by all means, but don't undermine the entire Noughties with it. Don't be frivolous with your memories!

9 minutes ago, Quintus said:

They're getting the gang together for maximum nostalgia, a la The Force Awakens. Cool!

Now listen, mind: none of you better go spoiling this whole decade by fondly remembering this in years to come! Enjoy the show by all means, but don't undermine the entire Noughties with it. Don't be frivolous with your memories!

Dammit, this decade will be known as the Decade of Disappointment, or so help me... :P

Remember STTNG was bagan in the 80's so it cannot be remembered fondly by 80's haters.

2 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Improve digital anti-aging technology?

I guess people forget Data is designed to age.

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Paging @Dixon Hill.  Don’t think any of us in our wildest dreams hoped for Voyager love in this series

Sadly like Justin said she'll probably only be in the first episode or something but I'm letting myself get excited now.  Looks like it has potential.  Anyone else think Jeri Ryan looks even better now than she used to?

4 hours ago, Dieter Stark said:

I'll offer some criticism.

Gee, the storyline is that a young girl with magic powers is here to save the universe. Where have I seen this before...in everything now? One thing this series absolutely did not need is a chosen one story but then, there it is.

Agreed.  Hopefully it's not that formulaic but we'll see.  Seeing a Cube again made me pretty giddy I will admit. 

5 hours ago, Quintus said:

The 2040s will be even better than today!

Maybe it's 'cause I've been in a funk for the last hour or so, and watched the trailer in this period, but...

I don't know, watching this trailer reminded me how much I dislike most modern television aesthetics, and only upon watching this has the worry struck that this show will be molded in that, especially if they get a Jeff Russo type to score it. I hope there's more levity in how they handle the plot and all that than the trailer lets on, because if the plot is indeed the Chosen One With the Key to the Universe, I think it will need some whimsy and romance (think the more quiet and contemplative renditions of Ilia's Theme, tonally). 

In other words, while yes I want the show to capture the more meditative and introspective aspects of what the concept practically has by birth, and the franchise as a whole, I _do_ also want to see a twinkle in its eye, a feeling of adventure as it hints at when it shows Picard getting with a younger crew.

Also, am I the only one who thinks Data looks _really_ weird?

Also also, damn Jeri Ryan is fine.

I share your concerns, I've said a number of times I'm sure that CBS has me very skeptical given their typically milquetoast - at best - tendencies.  I would be very surprised if there's much attempt made to respect the actual roots of these characters and the franchise as a whole, so I'm just hoping for something that isn't absolutely dreadful.  My reaction to Seven showing up and my wife's reaction to my reaction was basically this meme brought to life.

gettyimages-493656728.jpg

8 hours ago, Dieter Stark said:

Gee, the storyline is that a young girl with magic powers is here to save the universe. Where have I seen this before ...

I know I've seen the same story in Whedon's Firefly.

Isn't The Matrix the preeminent Jesus fiction? After the Bible, I mean. So pretty much everything after it drinks from the same source, and tedious shit runs downhill.

8 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Isn't The Matrix the preeminent Jesus fiction? After the Bible, I mean. So pretty much everything after it drinks from the same source, and tedious shit runs downhill.

Its The Heroes Journey.

But neither Bilbo or Frodo were the prophesied ones, or the chosen. In fact Frodo volunteered, and he wasn't the obvious choice. His is the purest form of the hero's journey arc, I feel. And I never really thought of Luke Skywalker and Neo in the same terms either.

Luke doesn't even affect the outcome after the first movie and only then after Han aids him. In Jedi, the rebels would have destroyed the Death Star anyway. He's not really that important.

5 minutes ago, Quintus said:

But neither Bilbo or Frodo were the prophesied ones, or the chosen. In fact Frodo volunteered, and he wasn't the obvious choice. His is the purest form of the hero's journey arc, I feel. And I never really thought of Luke Skywalker and Neo in the same terms either.

The Hero's Journey doesn't require a prophecy I believe. 

Tolkien makes it pretty clear that Frodo is supposed to bear the Ring, and that things would have gone ill otherwise.

Naturally, this thread is taking a dive in on the forum. You so much as post a photo of C3PO's elbow and you'll have pages and pages of Star Warsian nonsense. Picard and other beloved Trekian characters reappearing after decades and no one cares.

I miss when people on this forum were Trekkies.

I watched the trailer. 

It looks like a fun show! 

I guess I finally need to see Nemesis now