Star Trek: Picard (2020 TV Series)

Wojo

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

They've fixed how Data looks since the SDCC trailer aired and now he looks just like he did at the end of Nemesis. Really well done, I feel. Looks miles better. 

data-comp.jpg

Comes from this interview with Spiner and Sirtis. 

The original looked terrible. I don't know why everyone was complaining about that stupid Sonic video game movie and not the poor Data CGI. It's Star Trek. They should have cutting edge effects...

He does look less 'fake' than he did in the original trailer. Funny he actually had to say to them 'hey, you don't need to make me 80s Data, just Nemesis Data'.

They didn't know that they could just make Data look like he did in Nemesis, and didn't know that Marina wore a wig and more importantly contact lenses, until the actors said something. Are the producers even really paying attention to what they're doing? lol

From that article:

“If you feel that each piece is handcrafted with care, then I think people really appreciate it,” said Alex Kurtzman, an executive producer of the many new “Star Trek” series. “If you feel like a universe is being shoved down your throat for speed and dollars, there’s no faster way to lose an audience.”

Oh boy.

Yeah, hopefully there's some spark there with Stewart involved - and the old returning cast.

Unfortunately they're definitely going to hybridize the TNG Trek with STD's action-oriented shenanigans.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

It's really hard to get excited about anything Trek at CBS as long as Kurtzman is still in charge.  But I'm still going into Picard with cautious optimism.

I find Trek is solid on All Access.  I find the criticism over the top. Don't get me wrong, I am the master of over the top criticism but not for this. 

6 hours ago, Giftheck said:

Funny he actually had to say to them 'hey, you don't need to make me 80s Data, just Nemesis Data'.

Why though? Why did he age through the series and the films, and then stop aging after Nemesis?

28 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Why though? Why did he age through the series and the films, and then stop aging after Nemesis?

Because he's dead?

13 minutes ago, Giftheck said:

Because he's dead?

Well, he or B-4 are obviously in this new series. Perhaps in flashbacks though... I've avoided most spoilers, so I don't know and don't want to know. But perhaps that renders my question pointless. Mainly I was thinking of how Spiner argued back then that he couldn't keep playing the character as he aged, because Data wouldn't age, but now he's arguing that It's alright to make him look like older Data rather than younger Data.

18 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Mainly I was thinking of how Spiner argued back then that he couldn't keep playing the character as he aged, because Data wouldn't age

Spiner is ofcourse incorrect, since the season 7 episode Inheritance states that Data does age physically.

The software inside the android might be Data or enough of him, but the hardware is B-4. A prototype. They could explain that he would age more dramatically than the later Data model. I don't know why because changing outer appearance requires more resources and a dynamic skin, but it's scifi. Look at any desktop computer that you might have lying around from the 1980s. Aside from dirt and dust, it didn't get wrinkled.

Data's body is space dust. 

Brent Spiner doesn't look bad anyway. The right makeup artists could make it work well enough. I just don't get why they originally made him look like his mouth was stuffed with acorns.

Sir Patrick sounds proper old now at times when he speaks. Then you hear him remember it himself, as he flairs out his chest and suddenly reanimates himself as if to declare his next sentence on stage.

The shitty designers on nuTrek stuff really have a back for making the technological future look frightening and inhuman.

”Wouldn’t be cool if these ugly scary things were just floating around in San Francisco?”

847F7327-707C-4BBB-9C52-1BD86F948E3E.jpeg

Good episode; seems like it's going to be a good series.  Too bad they couldn't be bothered to get some good theme music for it.  Whose ass did Jeff Russo eat to continue to get these jobs, as mediocre as his work is?

You'd really describe his scores for Fargo as "great"?  While watching, I didn't note anything particular about them one way or the other, beyond the parts where he just imitated Burwell.

1 hour ago, Bryant Burnette said:

Good episode; seems like it's going to be a good series.  Too bad they couldn't be bothered to get some good theme music for it.  Whose ass did Jeff Russo eat to continue to get these jobs, as mediocre as his work is?

It's the way it is these days, unless you watch The Orville.