Star Trek: Picard (2020 TV Series)

Wojo

2 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Have they digitally de-aged Brent Spiner for this? Androids shouldn't have wrinkles, after all. 

They de-aged Spiner to make him resemble his Nemesis appearance. It's not quite there but it's miles better than what Data looked like in the first trailer.

7 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Thats ignoring hundreds of hours of Berman era scoring

Don't be absurd. The Berman era had wallpaper

Berman was a visionary. He grasped before anyone else what music set to picture would turn into 30 years later. 

7 hours ago, Stefancos said:

19 hours ago, Pellaeon said:

For my money, the gold standards are Fred Steiner’s TOS underscoring and TNG’s main title (Courage fanfare/Goldsmith theme).

Thats ignoring hundreds of hours of Berman era scoring

By not naming it the gold standard?

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

TNG established that Data ages physically.

I thought it was that Data could alter his appearance to look aged?

30 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Data looks....off. So it really didnt work that well.

He had a weird hairline and his face looked swollen. It wasn't off-putting but it was noticeable. 

They probably blew the show's budget on deaging him too!

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I wonder if we will see Section 31 on this show? 

I hope not. I'd rather have that confined to Discovery and their own separate series.

Seems like something that should just be left alone. It was fun on DS9 for a couple episodes (if rather ludicrous in the last one), but they're supposed to operate in the shadows, like black ops. Leave them in the shadows.

55 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Seems like something that should just be left alone. It was fun on DS9 for a couple episodes (if rather ludicrous in the last one), but they're supposed to operate in the shadows, like black ops. Leave them in the shadows.

Agreed.  I will state thought that was always something that bugged me in Discovery how EVERYONE seemed to know the existence of Section 31.

I think Discovery lost the heart of Trek when it abandoned the sense of intrigue, exploration and... discovery that the older shows had, in order to make a long series arc drama. It has its moments but it's a bit sloppy all the same.

Prime has it outside of the states. I believe only the US was forced to either get CBS or pirate it. I'm considering dropping Prime at this point because CBS has Trek, meanwhile Prime has removed all 007, Doctor Who and Twin Peaks. Even if Picard starts to suck, I can just watch the old shit.

On 1/26/2020 at 3:27 PM, Arpy said:

He had a weird hairline and his face looked swollen. It wasn't off-putting but it was noticeable. 

They probably just accessed the data ports in his skull too many times over the years. His face used to swell up every time they did that on TNG.

47 minutes ago, Quintus said:

When was the last time RLM actually really loved something anyway? They're just whining geeks with a budget. All they do is pick stuff apart (for hits), it's their schtick.

Pretty sure they've talked about multiple films they really liked, this past year. I only wish they had reviewed Knives Out...

Yavar

Maybe I'm a little soft on Picard because it's been such a long dry spell with Trek between the original series imitation movies and Discovery, which I didn't like at all. Maybe all it really took for me was Picard asking the replicator for Tea, Earl Grey.

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

When was the last time RLM actually really loved something anyway? They're just whining geeks with a budget. All they do is pick stuff apart (for hits), it's their schtick.

Recent positive reviews I’ve seen: Joker, Shazam, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, The Mandalorian, the trailer for Ghostbusters: Afterlife.

2 hours ago, Giftheck said:

What does it matter what they think, anyway?

How can anyone know what to think about this new Picard series if the RLM boys haven't told people how to feel?

3 hours ago, Quintus said:

How can anyone know what to think about this new Picard series if the RLM boys haven't told people how to feel?

I that really a thing or just a myth that internet people struggle to decide on whether they like something until RLM gives its verdict?

Regardless of what you might think about them, especially with how grumpy they can get, they still bring up some points which I think hit the nail on the head about some of the episode's truly awful moments. 

I thought it was a rough start, but I don't despise it the same way they do.

Well, I enjoy the prequels and TNG movies as you all know, but I still found the reviews funny. I do wonder if either they or their fans are taking the Plinkett character too seriously. It's like people can't form their own opinions and quote their shit verbatim. Meanwhile, they apparently loved the 2009 Star Trek, which was nothing like Star Trek and basically laid the groundwork for a turd like Discovery, which they hate. I don't understand where they're coming from sometimes.

Mostly, I agree with Jay and find Mike's deadpan deliveries amusing. They're just silly internet videos about movies.

Yes, although I think they mentioned in Macaulay Culkin's podcast that they enjoyed TLJ on a technical level, just not as a Star Wars film. Even then it doesn't stop their anti-Johnson crusade elsewhere. 

11 hours ago, Quintus said:

If I want your opinion, I'll give it to you :P

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

That wouldn't fit with their anti-Rian Johnson narrative so they've completely ignored it. Didn't even get a mention in their miscellaneous 2019 movies video.

I don't care if they hate Last Jedi but sticking fingers in your ears and acting like Johnson is some talentless hack who should never work again is just gaslighting the toxic internet culture. They've become a lot worse in this regard over the years; they used to be more level-headed, laughing about movies they didn't like. There's a really nasty edge to some of their videos now. 

It's disingenuous because Johnson is talented as fuck. Jay never even stands up for him despite being a Breaking Bad nut, and he directed (arguably) the best episode of the entire series. 

I'd heard things, but I didn't realise they were this hateful.

25 minutes ago, Giftheck said:

I'd heard things, but I didn't realise they were this hateful.

I've also noticed that ugly politics are creeping into their reviews (especially since Trump's election), especially in their videos for Ghostbusters and Captain Marvel. Sadly it's started creeping into things like Best of the Worst as well.

I think RLM’s high point was their original Plinkett reviews, the ones for the four TNG films. I rewatch those every now and again because they are very entertaining. Even though I don’t have super strong feelings pro or anti the TNG films.