Star Trek: Picard (2020 TV Series)

Wojo

10 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

I only made it about 10-15 minutes into episode 2 (of Picard, that is) before falling asleep and there was a lot of murdering, sex, "shit" and two f bombs! What the hell is going on here?

And you fell asleep?!?

I was tired. I don't even have time until midnight tonight to watch the episode and I'll likely fall asleep again.

The f bombs were spoken by two older women. I actually had to repeat it the first time to confirm I'd heard it. Picard's 50-something attractive sweet Irish Romulan caregiver suddenly said "cheeky fuckers."

They didn't swear in the earlier shows so why start n...

Oh...

Swearing is cool now, guys! It's what the kids are doing these days!

Holy fucking shit motherfucking cunt!

I got an email that this is also on Pluto TV app for free for those interested.  Also, I signed up for CBS all access for 30 days free w/ promo code JANUARY

5 hours ago, Arpy said:

They didn't swear in the earlier shows so why start n...

Oh...

Swearing is cool now, guys! It's what the kids are doing these days!

Holy fucking shit motherfucking cunt!

Make it fucking so! En-fucking-gage this shit to warp 9! Son of a bitch!

"You have no sense of history. This interview is over."

"But we're still rolling, so it's not finished."

"I ended the conversation, so the conversation is over."

"But a conversation is two ways. You ended it, but I didn't, so this conversation is still happening."

"You fucking cuntbag of Earl Grey, I said this is over!"

produced by Alex Kurtzman, copyright 2020 CBS Media Inc.

Hearing the f bomb in Star Trek Picard is VERY VERY disappointing. Especially after hearing it TWICE in Star Trek Discovery. No way in hell would Roddenberry have allowed such a harsh word to be used in Star Trek and Kurtzman knows this very well.

Yes we get it, swearing (even f bombs) is part of our every day culture. You hear it almost 24/7. 

Hearing the occasional, "Damn it (or damn)", or "Hell", or "What the hell?" and the very first real swear word "Shit" in Generations was fine. However dropping this out-right now THREE times spread across TWO TV series is just down right stupid and is NOT needed in Star Trek. It does NOT belong in Star Trek!

I bet Gene is turning in his grave right now.

8 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Like how Shatner suddenly swore in Star Trek 4 and 5? Cool!

To be fair the word "Damn" is not as a harsh or strong word as the f bomb and can be easily overlooked. Plus it worked with those scenes.  It just was NOT necessary in Picard and the Admiral's conversation.

BTW interesting that the holographic image of the TOS Enterprise is actually the Discovery Enterprise and not the original (1960's) TOS Enterprise. It is a little annoying since they're trying desperately hard to make Discovery cannon prime timeline.

Cursing in Star Trek was usually done with more class and the swearing in IV was because they went back in time and the was the way people talked back then! F bombs are definitely not cool with me, but what the fuck ever.

It's just out of place in Trek which has envisioned a future where gutter-talk is eradicated. It might seem like some of us are being too nit-picky, but why introduce this change now, when it's supposedly in the same timeline as TNG etc. where we know people don't use such language.

12 minutes ago, Arpy said:

It's just out of place in Trek which has envisioned a future where gutter-talk is eradicated. It might seem like some of us are being too nit-picky, but why introduce this change now, when it's supposedly in the same timeline as TNG etc. where we know people don't use such language.

Not that I'm saying anything new, but this is indicative of a larger problem of Trek trying to feel "contemporary"--good lord do I use that word a lot talking about Star Trek. Almost as annoying as cuss words here are the awkward slang phrases, exacerbated by that obnoxious smirk, smartass delivery that's so popular with modern actors and actresses. It hasn't happened _too_ often in this show so far, but I grimace every time it happens.

5 hours ago, Arpy said:

It's just out of place in Trek which has envisioned a future where gutter-talk is eradicated.

Or is it just that Trek originated in an era when it was impossible to say "fuck" on TV?

I didn't even notice it. People talk like they talk. It would be odd for a show set in the future to talk like people talked in futuristic shows decades ago and justify that with not wanting to be contemporary. "Contemporary" lies right between when Trek originally aired and the time it is actually set in.

I threw this on Pluto TV last night while I was doing some other stuff, just to have something on in the background until I was ready to do something else.

Picard looked gracefully aged, but Data just looked CAKED with makeup.  Probably would have gotten away with it in SD but not in crisp HD.  

The borg cube at the end was pretty neat

2 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Or is it just that Trek originated in an era when it was impossible to say "fuck" on TV?

This.  Nobody swore because the show was on broadcast TV.  I know we like to believe they're all enlightened, but come on.

As for the scene where the Admrial swore at Picard, it was shocking and unexpected, and there was such anger and hatred in her face and voice.  But I thought it really worked to underscore just how far our good Captain has fallen from Starfleet's graces.

Maybe in season 2 they'll be given a budget to make a completely digital version of Data instead. Or what about an elaborate puppet? Jim Henson's Creature Workshop did some good stuff in Labyrinth.

22 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

The look of several places in this series reminds me of the SW prequels. Establishing shots of cities resemble Coruscant and, well...

Screenshot_20200131-104733.png

starwars2-movie-screencaps.com-3868.jpg

Screenshot_20200131-105009.png

starwars2-movie-screencaps.com-3170.jpg

God this is quite off-putting.

12 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Game Of Throne made bad language cool in Peak TV.

I think it was Battlestar Galactica 2003 which really started it. Now all sci-fi has to be populated with miserable people.

Second episode was good, or at least still intriguing.  It’s been 2 hours of set up so far.

I miss episodic TV.  I’d love a Trek formatted slightly more like Doctor Who.  Each episode a completely distinct story but with season-long character arcs.

Watched the first episode, wasn’t too impressed.

Why must everything look so bland and be devoid of color? 

Mark my words, they are going to bring Data back to life at some point in this series.

3 minutes ago, Ollie said:

Watched the first episode, wasn’t too impressed.

Mark my words, they are going to bring Data back to life at some point in this series.

They opened the door to have Brent Spiner play the role without having the look of Data, with Soji and Dahj (since the B-4 route got closed).

Also, Lore is still out there disassembled, isn't he? What would stop somebody retrieving Lore and overwriting him with Data? Might be more successful since Lore is much more similar to Data than B-4 was.

Unless Lore has already been found and reactivated and he's the one responsible for the synths going berserk.

I can’t remember what Data did with Lore’s remains but yes this sets up a

a full synthetic Data, sans makeup, for Brent Spiner to play

10 hours ago, Þekþiþm said:

images - 2020-02-01T174801.972.jpeg

This is Star Trek: Half-Brother. 

1 hour ago, Ollie said:

France looked like it was filmed in Arizona and the sky had nuclear fallout or something. But at least the Golden Gate Bridge is nice and colorful, and the Romulan playground is full of beautiful green.