Star Trek: Picard (2020 TV Series)

Wojo

I will watch ep 4 tonight. Then watch the ready room.

I don't have to talk about it here. I watch with my husband and I discuss with Stefan. 

I must get the Eaglemoss diecast model of the taxi on Picard it is so retro.

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

How come nobody is talking about it here? I thought this was a big show for JWfan? 

I'll probably try to watch epi 3 tonight.

The show is still entertaining, but the serialized storytelling bothers me to an extent. It was more apparent in this one because they're actually in a spaceship traveling to a place and literally all that happens is that they pick up a guy Picard knew. Picard was helping these people in flashbacks and in the present day, the planet has gone to shit. The older Trek shows would have done something with this as a self-contained storyline. I don't know, maybe he brings everyone together and saves the planet with a speech or something. Instead, a guy gets his head cut off and brief action/chase/escape occurs.

Very uneventful episode, but Patrick Stewart carries the whole thing once again. The new Romulan swordsman guy gave me Lord of the Rings vibes, but overall I like this crew they've assembled. 

43 minutes ago, Trent B said:

I too like how things are going. HOWEVER I am absolutely annoyed by the amount of type of language (f bomb gd) and how often it's being used in this show.  That type of language does NOT belong in Star Trek.

You'll hear it in SW next.

16 hours ago, Þekþiþm said:

How come the word "fuck" no longer has the power it once had? How did that change?

I still get yelled at for using it at work. Feckin pansies. 

4 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Really? Here at my job people curse all the time, my boss included. And he's a lawyer and a businessman.

Where I work, there's a lot of old women who do not like that language, so they complain about it. Anything that makes a workplace hostile is bad for business. 

Yeah, I don’t like cussin’ in the future. I’ll make an exception for Scotty, though. Would it have hurt for him just one time to have said, “Ah canhn’t doo it, cap’n. Ah just DOON’T haave tha FOOKIN’ POW’R!”

20 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I demand a cameo from Admiral Janeway!  Give us the Janeway!  Give us the Janeway!

There'll be an "alternate universe" episode, where Geneviève Bujold is Admiral Nicole Janeway.

On 2/15/2020 at 9:15 AM, Naïve Old Fart said:

There'll be an "alternate universe" episode, where Geneviève Bujold is Admiral Nicole Janeway.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

On 2/14/2020 at 1:52 PM, Edmilson said:

Really? Here at my job people curse all the time, my boss included. And he's a lawyer and a businessman.

where I work foul language is a Class B infraction and can lead to termination. 

Tonight I'm giving Star Trek Picard one more chance. If it has the profanity I do not like and care for again (I mean the f bomb and other colorful metaphors) I am not going to watch anymore of it and I don't care if it's Star Trek.

The type of profanity being used in Picard is a major turn off for me. As I've said it's Star Trek and in MY opinion that type of language does NOT belong in Star Trek.

1 hour ago, Trent B said:

Tonight I'm giving Star Trek Picard one more chance. If it has the profanity I do not like and care for again (I mean the f bomb and other colorful metaphors) I am not going to watch anymore of it and I don't care if it's Star Trek.

The type of profanity being used in Picard is a major turn off for me. As I've said it's Star Trek and in MY opinion that type of language does NOT belong in Star Trek.

Hope you enjoyed it while it lasted!

I might tune in in Season 3. Maybe it’ll find its legs by then. Star Trek shows (at least, from TNG on) have always taken some time to settle into their format, and lately it seems worse than ever.

2 hours ago, Trent B said:

Not only does it have the profanity, it's got Saw-level graphic violence right at the beginning.

Star Trek -- ACTUAL Star Trek, I mean, as opposed to bullshit with a "Star Trek" in the title somewhere -- is apparently dead.

4 minutes ago, Bryant Burnette said:

Not only does it have the profanity, it's got Saw-level graphic violence right at the beginning.

I didn't expect to have to wince away from the screen watching a Star Trek episode! It's also always nice to start out with mercy killing.

Overall, this was an interesting episode. Pretty weird, and not just 'cause of all the goofy infiltration stuff.

40 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Speaking of which...wasn't there a "bullshit", in FIRST CONTACT?

Yes there is Lilly said it. I forgot about that but it seemed natural with how she responded to Picard when that scene happened. Since Picard was trying to justify as to why he killed two of his officers who were assimilated on the holodeck.

Is it just me, or is the camera constantly moving a major distraction - like all modern shows feel the need to keep the camera moving as if the cameraman needs to piss. 

4 hours ago, Arpy said:

Is it just me, or is the camera constantly moving a major distraction - like all modern shows feel the need to keep the camera moving as if the cameraman needs to piss. 

I gotta take a leak!

20 minutes ago, Trent B said:

Well glad they didn't use the profanity like last week's episode. I did like tonight's so I'll keep going.

Isn't that stressful to get invested a show, just waiting for the bomb to drop and bounce out when a few "un Star Trek" words appear?

Also, if I remember correctly, the only cuss word last episode was when the captain said "fucking", and this latest episode Raffi says "You're shit out of luck". I don't understand where you're drawing the line, and where you'll go no further.

Good question, Jerry.

I've not seen a full episode, but I watched a YouTube clip, where a Romulan is beheaded. Sheesh!

2 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

I gotta take a leak!

I need to go piss, real bad.

Ah, yeah. You, and me, in Japan. Watch me dance.

4 hours ago, ATXHusker said:

Watching new episode now, just caught some of the Voyager main theme as Seven beams back down to the planet, cool!  Nice touch...

Good catch! I really got a kick out of that as well. Caught me quite off guard.

The more graphic violence and bleak, almost dystopian tone are making me wince much more than some naughty words.  But I’m still enjoying the characters, I’m in it til the end.  I also wish it wasn’t relying so much on the story structure of withholding information/motivations from the audience just to string us along from episode to episode.

I just rewatched Voyager seasons 6 and 7 over the past few weeks, so the killing of Icheb actually hit close to home for me.  That was definitely the single most satisfying and well-developed relationship Seven had in the original show, outside of the vaguely mother-daughter-ish one with Janeway.