Star Trek: Picard (2020 TV Series)

Wojo

4 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

'Cause the first thoughts anyone had in 1987 watching stuff like

ST-TNG_The_Last_Outpost.jpg

or

tumblr_inline_movhd2GE0d1qz4rgp.jpg&f=1&

was "Man, what a show for the ages!"

I'd rather watch either of those episodes than most hours of Discovery or Picard.

Finally watched the latest ep. Seeing Riker and Troi again lifted my spirits and then made me tear up; so many memories of TNG and how they interact with Picard. 

But my fucking God, can someone kill Tauriel already?

4 hours ago, Arpy said:

But my fucking God, can someone kill Tauriel already?

Tauriel! :lick:

The guy barely got the chance to do much of anything yet.

I'd hate for him to be killed before he got into his own.

Bit annoying that he's separated from the main cast now.

Doesn't give much chance for character-building interactions.

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I like Soji

I like her,  I like Rios, I like Elnor, and with this last episode I'm coming around on Jurati--and wouldn't ya know, uttered the most natural sounding curse in Star Trek since Alfre Woodard in First Contact.

What the fuck--it's okay for me as a Star Trek fan aka bitter failed optimist to say it--is Raffi's character though? Michelle Hurd is great, but her character seems to change every scene.

49 minutes ago, Pieter Boelen said:

Doesn't give much chance for character-building interactions.

From the beginning he's essentially been a vestige of Picard, so him being separated is actually a great opportunity for character building.

1 hour ago, Nick Parker said:

From the beginning he's essentially been a vestige of Picard, so him being separated is actually a great opportunity for character building.

Hope we'll be seeing that then. :D

I'm feeling rather shitty today but I got my fix of new Jean-Luc to see if it anything could be done to lift my spirits. Spoilers aplenty.

This episode had a metric fuckload of exposition. Opening with a bunch of Romulan witches going around a thing and seeing a vision that causes most of them to immediately brutally injure or kill themselves, I feared this show had finally gone completely off the rails. But like Jack and Rose, I stayed on the ship as long as possible and rode it out.

Seven briefly returns and saves Elroy, eventually liberating the Borg cube after taking control of it. I assumed this would happen and while it was just kind of ridiculous having her connect with tubes and blackened eyes to the collective, Jeri Ryan is so excellent and lovely, I didn't really have any issue with it.

On Rios' ship, basically everything is eventually laid out by the end of the episode, including a staff meeting scene. I thought it was a gigantic coincidence that Rios recognized Soji and had encountered synths from the Maddox planet in the past, but I also failed to take issue with this, as the performances were so good and the motif of broken former starfleet people all coming together on the ship works for me.

Dr. Murderer is a weird character and I'm not sure if they're trying to redeem her or she will actually depart the show due to her actions. The deal seems to be that she was given that hellish vision from the Romulan hag which had a sort of brainwashing effect that caused her to kill Maddox. It still seems too extreme, but I don't know.

All the exposition about the synth planet, Romulan conspiracies, Federation orders to kill synths upon first contact and Soji dipping fries into peppermint milkshakes is definitely off the rails, but again, I don't know. It might work. It's all really weird though.

Picard didn't do much in this one, but there are two poignant scenes with Soji and Rios.

Like every episode so far, it leaves you wanting to see the next one. And at least Seven of Nine will apparently return.

On 3/1/2020 at 3:11 AM, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

I'm wondering what @Dixon Hill thinks about all this.

I think it's finding its footing - despite starting off pretty weak and redolent of what makes new Trek so lukewarm.  I want it to be great eventually.

It is interesting that the Admonition, in effect, tells both sides the same thing, that one is destined to be destroyed by the other.  

45 minutes ago, Matt S. said:

It is interesting that the Admonition, in effect, tells both sides the same thing, that one is destined to be destroyed by the other.  

Both sides, driven by what seems to be fate to annihilate the other, with Picard as a voice to cast down destiny and choose peace! Classic Star Trek stuff!

Pacing of this show is all over the place. The first 5 episodes could have easily been condensed into 2-3 and we should've landed on this planet last episode. Seven reclaiming the Borg cube and fighting the Romulans should've gone way longer and delved into the psychological ramifications of Seven reinserting herself into a collective and controlling free drones. Picard and co took all of 5 minutes to find her and Elnor in the crashed cube that had NO POWER. Good thing they entered ten metres away from the other cast members! 

Blergh, so many good ideas terribly executed.

Yes, it's like the writers were vaguely familiar with TNG, but didn't understand it or the characters. I get the feeling there's 50 writers and no singular vision, exactly like Discovery.

For a first season it's a real bummer.

I'll be canceling my subscription after the last episode.

The series really did nothing compelling aside from bringing old characters back and tugging our Trekkian heart strings. It's worth a watch and has its moments, but it's also many hours of nothing happening stretched out over a season and some wacky shit to remind us all that Alex Shitsman is running Star Trek now. 

Why bring back the gang? Why bring back anyone? Why continue to abuse and defile classic films and series with remakes? Why not create something new for a change? 

Well, to be fair, it's not just Kurtzman behind the curtain, it's several of the writers from Discovery too that can't write.

I was hoping that whoever was making this show would have the decency and respect for not only Picard's character, but Patrick Stewart as an actor so that he wouldn't be caught in this shitshow. 

What is it with film and tv production these days that they insist on bringing in diverse, younger talent when what is so clearly and easily achieved is going for trusted writers who have experience. It's easy to make a show with better production value than TNG, however it's a challenge to match the ethics, the morality, the heart of the scripts which is what I tended to care about; the story, not the ridiculous prosthetics and sets. Picard is none of that. It's an empty shell with references to a greater show. 

Picard is really no better off than the sorry state Trek was in when it ended in the 2000s. In many ways, it made perfect sense to open the series with a reference to Nemesis. It seems to have been made by people who really like Nemesis.

I kind of liked the finale but I feel that there were a few things that could have been different. The Mars attack had Lore written all over it and that wasn't followed through. And what happened to the USS Enterprise and the USS Titan?

Yes, I was hoping the Soong was Lore in disguise. Not much of a wrap-up to all the questions, but some parts had a vague similarity to TNG.

I liked Riker's cameo even though his "kick your ass" line was a bit over the top, shall we say. Everything else was ass from the robo-tentacles coming out of a black hole in space to the do-fuckall-you-want gadget, the cat fight, the death scene followed by overly dramatic scenes of people crying that I honestly don't really care about at this point crying and crying followed by ressurection (what is this? The Rise of Picard?) and Picard now being a fucken' machine. Also, random implied lesbian hand-holding because LGBTQ+! It was a complete and total disaster.

What a disappointing season.  You get the chance to make a new show starring Patrick Stewart, and THIS is what you come up with?  You ain't got no business making things.  And by "you" I refer to Akiva Goldsman, who should never be allowed near a film production of any sort.

2 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

I liked Riker's cameo even though his "kick your ass" line was a bit over the top, shall we say. Everything else was ass from the robo-tentacles coming out of a black hole in space to the do-fuckall-you-want gadget, the cat fight, the death scene followed by overly dramatic scenes of people crying that I honestly don't really care about at this point crying and crying followed by ressurection (what is this? The Rise of Picard?) and Picard now being a fucken' machine. Also, random implied lesbian hand-holding because LGBTQ+! It was a complete and total disaster.

- I liked the Riker moment, very typical Riker sass.

-Robo tentacles were so goddamn lame. I'd feel better if they just stopped it before the portal opened.

-The gadget is an underlying problem of the series so far. We got like four episodes of Soji and Narek having passive aggressive pillow talk but then this miracle ocarina comes out of nowhere in the last episode?

-The cat fight was whatever...from a storytelling point of view I guess it was to avenge Hugh but I think it would have been cooler if the re-integrated Borg from Seven's command took her out.

-I was affected by Picard's death, but it was dampened by the fact that they announced another season before this one began. I liked the scene of Rios and Seven taking alternate swigs of Flubber booze.

-I thought it was gonna be Q or something when he awoke in the room, but the following stuff with Data was far more poignant. I don't know how I feel about robo-Picard...it raises an interesting question on what we perceive as being intrinsic to a person--done many times in sci-fi of course, but rarely with someone the iconic status of Picard. It feels a little glossed over though...guess when you're old and free of an uncurable disease some of the philosophical ramifications go out the window.

-The hand holding was weird. Seven is bi, I guess? Okay, whatever. Apparently it was something Jeri Ryan wanted in Voyager, so I suppose it's nice she finally got what she wanted. Oh but Raffi is at least bi, too, now, I guess? Maybe that's why she and her husband/partner/spouse broke up? Whatever, awfully convenient. And the Rios-Jurati thing doesn't feel earnt.

Overall, an uneven season, for sure. A lot of narrative pitfalls if you look in the corners...but on the other hand, there are a number of elements that definitely feel like the work of a talented novelist such as Michael Chabon. The season definitely had philosophical and thematic underpinnings that were well-integrated and woven throughout the episodes. Ideas such as the fusion and symbiosis of organic and machine, exemplified as extremes by the Borg as a violent means of this melding, and pure organics and synthetics on either side of the divide. Picard, in some ways, a broken man, was rehabilitated and made "complete" by his new adventures, completing the path that Hugh wanted for the ex-Borg. And at the end with his consciousness being transplanted into the golem, represents a benign coming together of natural and artificial. (All of this being foreshadowed in the title sequence that depicts fragments of experiences, DNA, etc. forming together to complete Picard).

And for the finale, I loved that you had these two giant opposing fleets, ready to duke it out and prove every Star Trek fan right about modern Trek being nothing but pew pews, cussing, and sex...but the fleets never fire a shot at each other, because Picard sacrifices himself to send a message of peace and agency to a member of a despised, forbidden race, who then takes it upon herself to rewrite what seemed to both sides--the Romulans and the synthetics-- as foregone destiny and bridge a gap between peoples. If that ain't Star Trek, I don't know what is.

So naturally fans hate it and accuse the writers of not understanding Star Trek.

Watched the two part finale just now.

I like it.

Quite positive and uplifting in the end.

Clearly they did make an effort on this series to do things right.

And, from my side, they succeeded.

It was a fun and interesting adventure to be on.

I genuinely looked forward to the new episodes as they aired.

And that's a good sign.

• Elnor and Seven were wasted, by the end none of their characters felt earned. 
  • I was disappointed the Borg returned, one of the galaxy's most deadly synthetic forms of life and it's just a Romulan subplot.
  • Soong and the Synths are arseholes, Sutra should be deactivated for murder and attempted genocide, whilst Soong was complicit.
  • Jurati still murdered Maddox, but I guess they'll just let that slide.
  • Narek is forgotten about, but it sort of fits the disposable nature of this new Trek.
  • I was pleased they avoided Discovery's huge space battle, but believe me, when I saw the giant space centipedes from The Avengers almost fly through the portal, I almost flipped and lost all hope for this show.

Such a messy, haphazardly paced season, not a good start by any means and hopefully they can think very carefully about how to craft a more cohesive story for the next season. 

4 hours ago, Arpy said:
  •  Elnor and Seven were wasted, by the end none of their characters felt earned.
  • I was disappointed the Borg returned, one of the galaxy's most deadly synthetic forms of life and it's just a Romulan subplot.
  • Soong and the Synths are arseholes, Sutra should be deactivated for murder and attempted genocide, whilst Soong was complicit.
  • Jurati still murdered Maddox, but I guess they'll just let that slide.
  • Narek is forgotten about, but it sort of fits the disposable nature of this new Trek.
  • I was pleased they avoided Discovery's huge space battle, but believe me, when I saw the giant space centipedes from The Avengers almost fly through the portal, I almost flipped and lost all hope for this show.

Such a messy, haphazardly paced season, not a good start by any means and hopefully they can think very carefully about how to craft a more cohesive story for the next season. 

- Perfectly in line with TNG then! ;)

- See my post above about the Borg. Their inclusion was important on a thematic level.

- I don't remember if we see what happens to Sutra after Soong shuts her off. With him, it makes sense from his point of view: essentially the father of this damned race, cut off from civilization at large, and at that point believing Narek's actions reinforced his views on other organics. After he learns the truth, by seeing them as "real" or "human", mirroring Jurati's conversation with Soji, he recognizes they're just as capable of the same pratfalls as organics ("You're no better than we are".)

-They were real quick to handwave that one. They try to justify it with quasi brainwashing, but I was a little uncomfortable in one of the episodes when they had to go and she said "Am I still going to jail?", and they all look at her with a kind smile like "Ooooo, gee, sorry, afraid you'll have to do that later.*wink*" And then they're so chill about it for the rest of the season!

-I thought it was funny Narek disappeared.

It started out alright because it was far more Picard-centric, although I still don't get the Federation Romulan android thing. While the series somehow connects them all, what the hell did the android attack have to do with rescuing the Romulans? Why call off rescuing the Romulans from certain doom when Starfleet's mission has always been one of peace? They want you to just accept this stuff because it's in the script.

16 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Why call off rescuing the Romulans from certain doom when Starfleet's mission has always been one of peace?

I think because the rescue was a massive operation, so they were building new ships especially for that.

But the Android uprising destroyed the shipyards.

Or something along those lines?

55 tracks!  wow, that's a lot of music to digest all at once

1. Star Trek Picard Main Title (1:43)
2. Star Trek Picard End Title (1:44)
3. Walking With Number One (1:16)
4. Dahj Activates (1:10)
5. Dahj and Picard Speak (3:54)
6. Dahj’s Last Fight (1:51)
7. Picard Decides (1:46)
8. The Painting (2:58)
9. Twins (4:15)
10. Picard Requests Help (2:15)
11. Romulan Collusion (2:21)
12. Trouble For Picard (1:18)
13. Rafi Decides To Join (1:51)
14. Rafi Turns Down Picard (2:06)
15. Sizing Up Rios (4:15)
16. Happier Times (3:25)
17. Leaving With Elnor (1:52)
18. Mystery Ship (3:10)
19. Picard Goes Back (2:08)
20. Picard Leaves Elnor (1:41)
21. Soji and Narek Waltz (4:42)
22. Home Movies (1:52)
23. Jurati and Maddox (1:55)
24. Leaving With Maddox (3:47)
25. Seven Needs Revenge (3:02)
26. What’s Your Emergency (1:25)
27. Page (1:58)
28. Children of Mars End Credits (1:43)
29. Jurati and Rios Get Close (2:37)
30. Raffi Calls Bosch (3:26)
31. Raffi Opens Up (1:34)
32. Borg Cube (4:28)
33. Looking For Picard (5:10)
34. Walking Around Nepenthe (2:25)
35. Picard and Riker Reunite (2:34)
36. I Was Human (3:04)
37. Elnor Fights Narissa (2:47)
38. Picard Bids Farewell (5:01)
39. Tal Shiar Admonisher (2:46)
40. Staying Close (2:59)
41. Rios Feels Lost (2:06)
42. Hologram Meeting (1:06)
43. Raffi and Rios Talk (4:40)
44. Rios and Picard (3:13)
45. Unexpected Visitor (2:32)
46. Leaving the La Sirena (2:51)
47. Sutra Arrives (4:23)
48. Narek Escapes (8:07)
49. Butterfly (1:41)
50. Romulans Arrive Pt.1 “Romulans Arrive Pt.1 Romulans Arrive Pt.1 (2:12)
51. Romulans Arrive Pt.2 (4:35)
52. Talking To Data (6:32)
53. The Crew Leaves As One (1:24)
54. Blue Skies (2:46)
55. Star Trek Picard Episode 110 End Credits (Full Version) (2:10)