Star Trek: Picard (2020 TV Series)

Wojo

Come on, Trent. It showed some promise and kept us watching for Patrick Stewart and returning characters, but in the end, it's more or less disposable aside from the f-bomb memes. Major disappointment. 

Only in YOUR opinion. 

While yes I still don't agree with the profanity that is used in the show but as I said I for one do not think the show failed and I like it as does my wife.

Although I should have said that anyone who thinks the show failed is only OPINION not a statement of fact.  There's a clear difference.

5 hours ago, Trent B said:

I for one did NOT think this show failed. If someone think this show failed....well I dunno what to tell them.

That's fair.

And glad to see you managed to enjoy it in the end.

If indeed it did fail, I'd say there are far, FAR worse failures.

The finale is what cemented the themes in Star Trek. I love, love, love the moment when Soji explains their rationale for exterminating all organic life as aesult of having no choice, and Picard gives a classic Picard response: "To say you have no choice is a failure of imagination."

The series has some good ideas and moments for sure, but it just doesn't all come together.

The whole Borg thing with Seven of Nine, for instance. What was the point of her becoming the "Queen" and taking the cube to crash on the planet, only to leave and apparently join Picard's ragtag crew? Was she liberating them when they were (for some reason) already being freed from assimilation by the Romulans? I don't know. You don't know. I don't think the writers know. It was just a cool idea to them to have her take a Borg ship and arrive when Picard was in peril from space plants or whatever.

There's a good idea in there. Seven of Nine liberating Borg from assimilation. Certainly better than her being a space ranger or whatever. It's not the way it played out, though!

My introduction to Star Trek was relatively late compared to many of you. A friend introduced me to Next Generation in 2013, and my memories of starting the show as an adult are pretty fresh. I watched each episode with excitement and anticipation. Why? It wasn't because each episode was a masterwork of storytelling and philosophy...no, it was the opposite in many cases. I kept watching because I kept seeing potential in the characters and ideas; in other words, the show earnt my trust, propelling me until I got to the really good stuff that happened later. 

This show has earnt my trust.

I think Star Trek has hit its new 'Enterprise' moment where it has nothing new to say or offer, a relative dark patch, much like Doctor Who's late 80's-2005 period. 

The next show must embrace the future, show us a federation in the future of TNG, not this constant retrospective back into some nostalgic past. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
2 hours ago, Thor said:

Nils Jacob Holt Hanssen reviews the Jeff Russo score:

http://celluloidtunes.no/star-trek-picard-jeff-russo/

Nice review, I really must pick up his Picard and Discovery scores. As I commented in the other thread, I ended up getting LLL's lavish releases of TNG/DS9/Voyager/Enterprise music and not really getting much from them. But for Discovery and Picard I've yet to acquire them, despite having actually enjoyed the music while watching the shows themselves. My only issue with Russo's music is actually his main themes which are fine themes in themselves, but feel a bit underpowered in context. The Picard main theme is a great theme for the character, but against the drama implied by the imagery in the title sequence, is far too delicate. The Discovery one just takes too long to get going - it's still in the build-up stage halfway through the credits appearing on screen so the ebb and flow relative to the graphics feels all out of joint, plus the weird build-up to the Courage fanfare at the end doesn't work and isn't nearly as effective as the TMP/TNG hint at the end of the Picard titles.

Neither do we, Jean Puke😞😒

Screenshot_2021-03-10-15-00-17.png

There were fifteen pages of comment before the show aired.

There have been six pages of comments since the show aired and finished it's run.

Draw your own conclusion

On 4/9/2020 at 8:48 AM, AC1 said:

" Star Fleet is a diversity paradise".

😆

I knew i was right in fleeing this Dreck after disc one

1 hour ago, Darth Wojo said:

It was a terrible show. 

I can't believe they turned Picard into an android using a deus ex machina device. In all of this I feel sorry for Stewart who was taken advantage of by hack writers.

1 minute ago, Arpy said:

I can't believe they turned Picard into an android using a deus ex machina device. In all of this I feel sorry for Stewart who was taken advantage of by hack writers.

I quit after three eps....😒

23 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Eh, the first couple of episodes of Cobra Kai are free and that's one of the most enjoyable series on telly. 

It is. The first season moreso than the subsequent ones, but they're alright too. Still hoping for Hillary Swank to return at some point.

It's my current favourite, I love its pitch perfect tone. I wasn't even big on the Karate Kid movie as a kid, but this show is ideal light entertainment for me. The school brawl at the end of the second season was as thrilling as anything I saw in Game of Thrones and tbh I think Cobra Kai is low key genius. 

5 minutes ago, Quintus said:

was as thrilling as anything I saw in Game of Thrones and tbh I think Cobra Kai is low key genius. 

I stand by my previous comments.

Did Quintus really equate GOT with CK?!

That should result in a LIFETIME ban!

9 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Philistines!

Personally, I have a window open to all forms of entertainment. I can get pleasure out of an unpretentious and straightforward show like COBRA KAI one day, and then heady material like Bela Tarr's SATANTANGO or Antonioni's IL DESERTO ROSSO the next. It all makes up the spice of life!

(it obviously also helps that I have a huge nostalgic connection to the original KARATE KID).

I guess KAI is better because I watched more than.three eps before bailing😅😅😅😅😅😅😅

Just now, The Big Man said:

That's why I've spent a fortune fortifying my home.

You forget, " I have a particular set of skills"

• 4 weeks later...