Star Trek: Picard (2020 TV Series)

Wojo

4 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

One last time.

Screenshot_2021-03-10-15-00-17.pngI quit after three eps ( which I half-watched after episode one)

But yet you bothered to click on this thread, read the new posts and post this reply.  Again, your humor fails to resonate with me and probably many more here.

33 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

Shit show

"  Again, your humor fails to resonate with me and probably many more here"

On 3/10/2021 at 11:14 PM, The Big Man said:

It's shit

"Again, your humor fails to resonate with me and probably many more here"

On 3/12/2021 at 1:53 AM, The Big Man said:

Picard occupies an unenviable class of shows I truly despise.

"Again, your humor fails to resonate with me ..

"

I suggest Hustler start a "Picard appreciation Thread".

I promise I will not post in it.

I can't speak for Drax, though.

😅

• 2 months later...
5 minutes ago, Giftheck said:

The teaser actually gives me "All Good Things" vibes. Almost as if it carries on from that.

Its a starting point since we last saw Q in the TNGverse. 

40 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

It does what a good teaser should do.

Remind me what a profound disappointment this show turned out to be? Huh.

20 minutes ago, Jay said:

Q was last seen in 3 Voyager episodes

He actually looks better here than he did on Voyager.

• 7 months later...

The trailers for season 2 continue to suggest a Star Trek show that is devoid of pretty much everything I like about Star Trek. This crew just doesn't work for me and Picard doesn't really seem like Picard anymore. I wanted to like season 1 and I did enjoy the first 3rd and a couple of episodes in the latter 2 thirds, but the tone is all too serious and the characters don't endear themselves to me. 

13 hours ago, artguy360 said:

The trailers for season 2 continue to suggest a Star Trek show that is devoid of pretty much everything I like about Star Trek. This crew just doesn't work for me and Picard doesn't really seem like Picard anymore. I wanted to like season 1 and I did enjoy the first 3rd and a couple of episodes in the latter 2 thirds, but the tone is all too serious and the characters don't endear themselves to me. 

I really do not understand why this is the case. It’s not like the writers aren’t capable of it; Discovery has Saru and Pike who could easily have come straight out of Next Gen or its spin-offs, and they lift every single scene they’re in. But Burnham, Georgiou, Picard, Seven and all the rest are now just boring Star Wars characters spouting cheesy action movie lines every five minutes and emoting like they're constructing an Emmy reel.

Looking forward to Q and Guinan, but the damage season one did to the legacy of TNG and Picard as a character is irreparable. At this point, the tepid antics of Discovery make for a more entertaining Star Trek show than seeing some of my favourite characters again.

• 1 month later...

I read one rather spoiler heavy positive review that makes me maybe want to subscribe to watch this. Maybe once it's all out and I'll get a free month. 

Yeah, it's definitely a much stronger start than season 1 had.

I have to say, I thought they'd do one particular thing and I'm happy I was right:

Spoiler

Q appearing as his 'young' self to Picard first, then aging himself up to match Picard. It was just a very 'Q' thing to do IMO.

It's also nice to actually see some older starship classes rather than all-new ones. Even the new Stargazer fits the aesthetic of the TNG movie ships.

EDIT: Three STO ship classes appear in the armada as well as a Luna-Class, and even a Sovereign-Class appears I think.

31 minutes ago, Giftheck said:

Yeah, it's definitely a much stronger start than season 1 had.

I have to say, I thought they'd do one particular thing and I'm happy I was right:

Reveal hidden contents

It's also nice to actually see some older starship classes rather than all-new ones. Even the new Stargazer fits the aesthetic of the TNG movie ships.

Yes, I loved both those bits as well!

30 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I didn't even finish season 1 I was so disappointed, but I did read what happened and have they completely retconned the ending of that season?

It's more like they just don't really acknowledge it outside of brief little dialogue blurbs. I actually think, at least so far, that one could jump straight into season 2 without having watched season 1 and not be too lost.

Thinking on it... there's an observation that I can actually agree with re. season 1 vs season 2.

In season 1, maybe it's because he hadn't played the role for so long, but it felt more like Patrick Stewart was playing himself more than Picard.

In season 2, he definitely feels much more like he's playing Picard, at least so far. And John de Lancie is great as always, you wouldn't believe that he had ever left the role of Q.

MUCH better.  In fact, I'll say that this is the first show to "feel" like Star Trek that I've seen in quite a while.  It's nice that there is peril without every character being a miserable husk of a being.

So, basically, Q brought the Stargazer crew to the Mirror Universe by the looks of things, and they're going to show us how it originated?

I've liked the show since the beginning. It's both Trekky and "non-Trekky" enough to appeal to someone like me, who's not really a big fan of the ST universe. However, I do have one small misgiving about the season two premiere -- why is boy Picard dressed as a kid from the 1930s in the flashback? I know that fashion moves in waves, but isn't he supposed to have been born in the 2300s or something?

Basically the Mirror Universe on steroids.

And I think I agree with Picard: Q is 'unwell' but there's still enough of him there to offer Picard help to get out of it.

I'm unsure, but at the moment I'm also unsure if the Borg Queen at the end of episode 1 is supposed to be the same one we see in episode 2 (and that Borg Queen is quite clearly patterned after Alice Krige's Borg Queen from First Contact - speaking of which, it's kind of a shame she didn't at least voice the Borg Queen like she did in Lower Decks)

Having seen this episode... wow, I think this may be more brutal than the original Mirror Universe. There is most definitely something wrong with Q and I'm wondering if it's related to either the space-time rift the Borg came through or something in the 'new' reality.

4 hours ago, Giftheck said:

I'm unsure, but at the moment I'm also unsure if the Borg Queen at the end of episode 1 is supposed to be the same one we see in episode 2 (and that Borg Queen is quite clearly patterned after Alice Krige's Borg Queen from First Contact - speaking of which, it's kind of a shame she didn't at least voice the Borg Queen like she did in Lower Decks)

Having seen this episode... wow, I think this may be more brutal than the original Mirror Universe. There is most definitely something wrong with Q and I'm wondering if it's related to either the space-time rift the Borg came through or something in the 'new' reality.

It seems pretty similar in its level of brutality and darkness as the other mirror universe episodes as far as I can tell, this just showed yet another nasty side to it. I had to let out a little groan at yet another mirror universe story. I never much liked them, but as an occasional sidestep allegory from the utopia of the regular Star Trek universe, they're fine, but the Disco/Picard people seem obsessed with it. Disco must surely have the highest proportion of its entire running time set in the mirror universe and they seem keen to try and ensure Picard runner up. A little goes a long way and the longer you spend in it, the more you realise that the entire premise doesn't really stand up - you're not going to achieve interstellar civilisation with everyone scheming and murdering their way to the top. There'd never be enough cooperation to reach orbit, let alone warp powered travel.

That having been said, Patrick Stewart doing a bit of a Richard III and looking (if not being) evil is a lot of fun and I'm enjoying this series more than the last one, but it's pretty marginal. I'm afraid I'm in the "imagine them going off into happy retirement" camp than wanting to see characters' lives turn into some depressing future where it's all much more grim than pretty much anything they face in the original show.

I personally had a blast with the second episode.  Not quite a Mirror Universe, since it’s their own Universe, but a BTTF Part II style timeline hijack.  But yeah, same outcome. 
This felt urgent in a way Season 1 didn’t.  So, while not wholly original, I felt happily entertained.  It also feels like they are giving the new characters small comedic beats in the midst of the grim situation. Some of the humor doesn’t stick the landing, but they are making the characters more likable. 

Thumbs up. 

• 2 weeks later...

Cool that Lea Thompson is directing the Back to the Future inspired storyline.   I know this has been done before, and the fish out of water time travel has even been covered by Trek multiple times, very famously in Voyage Home.  There's even a wonderful callback in Episode 4, which made me giggle.

But I'm loving this.  It may not be original, but dang they have me looking forward to each episode and wondering what happens next.

Well done to the team for course correcting from Season 1 and bringing the sense of fun and adventure back to Star Trek.

I dunno, I'm somebody who skips the Mirror Universe episodes.  I kinda despise alternate timeline stories except for in very limited circumstances (like BTTF2 doesn't actually spend much time in its alt '85)

To be fair, they only spent one episode in the alternate universe.  Since then it's been all time travel and the past.  So they gave us a deliciously fun look at the corrupted timeline, but didn't dwell on it long at all.  That is another improvement over Season 1, story momentum versus glacial pacing.

There's even a wonderful callback in Episode 4, which made me giggle.

You're of course referring to

Spoiler

The punk who's playing the exact same song on a boombox - it's the same punk that Spock nerve-pinched to 'stop the damn noise', played by Kirk Thatcher. He even reaches for his throat after Seven makes the same demand, as if remembering the last time.

That actually brings up an interesting point about how far-reaching Q's change goes, and here's what I'm going on about:

Spoiler

Guinan should absolutely remember Picard - because she's already met him, back in Time's Arrow. But she does not. However, the punk appears to remember Spock's actions - even though those events would be gone too.

Time travel makes my head hurt :lol:

Nevertheless, I did like this episode.

Well when you start meddling with time you also change any event caused by whatever timetravel happened after that point.

Spoiler

If Picard cant meet Guinan first on the Enterprise, he wont be on any path to meet her in the past either.

It does drive you a bit bonkers if you think too hard.  In this timeline, 

Spoiler

Future Confederacy Kirk still must’ve time traveled to get the whales to communicate with the probe, or there would be no earth for General Picard and the rest of the Confederacy.