Star Trek: Picard (2020 TV Series)

Wojo

I made it through the first three seasons of Discovery, and finally gave up a couple episodes into Season 4. First time I've given up on a Star Trek series, though not the last, as I gave up on Picard at some point into Season 2.  I'd pretty much rank Season 2 of Picard, at least what I saw, as an absolute low point for Star Trek. Though I remain optimistic for Season 3.

SNW is a step-up, and I watched all of Season 1. But it still suffers from many of the same unfortunate tendencies of NuTrek.

57 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Isn't that what The Doctor has been doing, for the last 59 years?! :lol:

I would agree to some extent but there are few enough of them spread through its history that it never feels wearing, plus old DW was too low budget to show the universe exploding in glorious 4K so it never really felt as visceral as now when they can show a realistic planet explosion. I do agree that NuWho has got a bit too carried away with Galaxy/Universe threatening events, but has largely dealt with them much more imaginatively than NuTrek and weaved them in at a more personal level.

It's not really about the scale of the mission, i.e. whether they're trying to save the universe or just themselves. That's mostly incidental, like a MacGuffin. It's about the writing, characters and how well the story they have written is developed.  

Just now, Nick1Ø66 said:

It's not really about the scale of the mission, i.e. whether they're trying to save the universe or just themselves. That's mostly incidental, like a MacGuffin. It's about the writing, characters and how well the story they have written is developed.  

Exactly and I would say that DW has done that much more effectively than NuTrek most of the time. NuTrek tries to hard to elicit a response to the characters and their situation so it all feels rather overwrought (more so on Discovery than Picard I would say). Still, old Trek didn't have universe destruction of the season threats, it wasn't really meant to be about that... even classic big threats (Borg, Xindi, Tom Hardy) were only aimed at Earth, not the entire galaxy/universe.

14 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

I would agree to some extent but there are few enough of them spread through its history that it never feels wearing, plus old DW was too low budget to show the universe exploding in glorious 4K so it never really felt as visceral as now when they can show a realistic planet explosion. I do agree that NuWho has got a bit too carried away with Galaxy/Universe threatening events, but has largely dealt with them much more imaginatively than NuTrek and weaved them in at a more personal level.

And even now that NuWho has the sort of budget to depict them, it doesn't mean they'll be coherently depicted ... the Flux, anyone?     

2 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

And even now that NuWho has the sort of budget to depict them, it doesn't mean they'll be coherently depicted ... the Flux, anyone?     

Yeah that one was all over the place, it's a shame as if they had just been individual stories without the Flux backdrop, some of them would have been pretty good (the Weeping Angels and Sontaran episodes in particular).

Allegedly the opening of the new season still uses Jeff Russo's theme for the opening titles, but Goldmsith's theme for the end titles. Any verification? I'm in the UK, so it's not up on Amazon Prime until tomorrow.

Spoiler

EDIT: Nope, the title theme's Goldsmith-inspired too, but it's new.

The end titles uses an edit of the End Titles from Star Trek: First Contact.

A few tidbits from the end credits reveals the fate of a few ships:

Spoiler

-Enterprise A wasn't wrecked on its Voyage Home and is stored in the Fleet Museum, same with Excelsior.

-Voyager is also stored there, as is the Titan

-The USS Pioneer NCC-1500 is a TOS-era ship from Star Trek Online

Also, "For Annie" :crymore:

55 minutes ago, Giftheck said:

Allegedly the opening of the new season still uses Jeff Russo's theme for the opening titles, but Goldmsith's theme for the end titles. Any verification? I'm in the UK, so it's not up on Amazon Prime until tomorrow.

Hide contents

EDIT: Nope, the title theme's Goldsmith-inspired too, but it's new.

The end titles uses an edit of the End Titles from Star Trek: First Contact.

A few tidbits from the end credits reveals the fate of a few ships:

Hide contents

-Enterprise A wasn't wrecked on its Voyage Home and is stored in the Fleet Museum, same with Excelsior.

-Voyager is also stored there, as is the Titan

-The USS Pioneer NCC-1500 is a TOS-era ship from Star Trek Online

Also, "For Annie" :crymore:

The end credits reads "Title Card Music arranged and conducted by Jeff Russo" 

Also Jeff Russo receives a "Supervising Composer" credit

22 minutes ago, Jaaaackified said:

The end credits reads "Title Card Music arranged and conducted by Jeff Russo" 

Also Jeff Russo receives a "Supervising Composer" credit

Jeff Russo must have a good agent given that it’s not even really a hint of his theme in the opening titles.

Im always good hearing some Jerry in the context of Star Trek but can’t say that the music and style of the end credits matched especially meaningfully. But I’ll take it. Look forward to hearing the underscore and seeing the show itself (despite my low expectations after the first two dismal seasons). 

The score for this episode was all over the place, but enjoyable as it was like taking Eidelman, Horner and Goldsmith and throwing them all into a blender. Eidelman brass and snare here, Horner woodwinds and strings there, Goldsmith rhythms and punctuations taken from TMP...it's a Star Trek Music Melting Pot. 

The episode itself, on the surface it's as though they retained some of the edge of seasons 1 and 2 (which are both trainwrecks) but remembered that these characters were from another time in Trek history and finally gave them some respect and enthusiasm. It's a step up for sure. 

The End Credit theme should be at the beginning, and just the First Contact theme. It would run so beautifully.   

The score was a lot of very welcome pastiche, but some unwelcome modern garbage too. 

The episode is great. I got some chills and had my little kid smile on a lot. 

I think it's funny people bring up the Titan interior sets being so dark, because they're brighter than previous seasons. Definitely brighter than the Stargazer. More in line with the Enterprise-E sets than anything else.

31 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

I think they needed a better composer, but they were all dead.

(It's not a dig, it's a quote! The music is fine!)

I mean technically (if very sadly) all the best composers Star Trek ever had are indeed no longer with us…

That was good. While I can't say it quite lived up to the hype, it was very good...certainly the best hour of Star Trek since 2005. 

12 hours ago, Andy said:

The End Credit theme should be at the beginning, and just the First Contact theme. It would run so beautifully.   

I'm guessing the end credits for the first episode will be the opening credits for the remainder.  And I agree that the score was a bit of a pastiche (and quite intentionally sentimental), and didn't flow together quite as well as it could have. But in this case, it's a very welcome tapestry, even if all the threads don't fit together perfectly.

I think, despite having things I did like about the first two seasons, this should have been what they did from the start. This is their best foot forward, but only after repeated mis-steps. The Riker episodes were the best of Season 1. It was nice to see that rapport continue on. They actually felt like old friends.

I find the design of the new Titan interesting - it's very Motion Picture-esque, and at first I figured it risked being too backwards-thinking, but seeing it in motion, it's pretty cool.

I love the ending titles with all the Easter Eggs for sure. IDK if that'll be different for them all, with little references in each and teasing what's to come (pretty sure we'll be going to the Starfleet Museum in the next episode, though whether we'll actually get to see the Enterprise-A and Excelsior docked there is anyone's guess. I'm pretty sure we'll keep the opening titles from this episode for the next ones though. I do find it a bit odd that they just reused and edited the First Contact end titles rather than using one of their newer recordings.

As for Jack Crusher, I've heard an interesting rumour/theory regarding him and it ties into why Beverly left Starfleet and kept her distance from the Enterprise crew.

39 minutes ago, Giftheck said:

As for Jack Crusher, I've heard an interesting rumour/theory regarding him and it ties into why Beverly left Starfleet and kept her distance from the Enterprise crew.

Do tell.

7 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Do tell.

Spoiler

He's Picard's son.

EDIT: Shouldn't have to tell you this but some people click spoilers not expecting spoilers. This is just a rumour, but caution where it's due. Don't click it if you genuinely don't want to know.

22 minutes ago, Giftheck said:
  Hide contents

He's Picard's son.

EDIT: Shouldn't have to tell you this but some people click spoilers not expecting spoilers. This is just a rumour, but caution where it's due. Don't click it if you genuinely don't want to know.

LOL. Yeah, I'd call that more of a theory than a spoiler, but it's also something every Star Trek fan guessed/assumed about the guy from the start. In any event, it doesn't explain why Crusher would leave Star Fleet and cut off contact with everyone.

I hope it's not true.

When I heard they’d be using the First Contact theme, I thought what a nice opportunity to get a clean new recording without the jarring Borg transition at the end. 

A gorgeous theme that would fit perfectly in the time needed for credits, and also a mature theme that would fit the emotional core of the “elder statesmen” having one last go. 

I’m disappointed they gave into the temptation to rush the arrangement and segue into the TMP theme.   Riker can’t March anymore with his rickety knees anyway. 

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It's not a very difficult concept. 

I've seen plenty of people think that things in spoiler tags are jokes and then get mad when they actually contain spoilers. So, yeah...

3 hours ago, karelm said:

How do I find this show?  Star Trek used to be on Disney channel but now ca't find any of those shows.  That's how I watched all of SNW.  Did Disney remove it?

Disney+ is Star Wars (and Orville) 

Paramount+ is Star Trek 

Without spoiling anything, is it possible storywise to skip S1 and 2 and jump straight into S3 as if the other two didn't happen?

16 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

I experienced my first ever combined jerrygasm and hornergasm in one sitting. 

Multiple scoregasms?

7 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Without spoiling anything, is it possible storywise to skip S1 and 2 and jump straight into S3 as if the other two didn't happen?

Multiple scoregasms?

Applause!

And yes, it appears you can jump in. If there are existing characters you'll just be meeting them for the first time. Even the showrunners are saying you don't need to watch the first two seasons.

I wondered if we were getting another brooding, dark villain with Vadic. I love that she's just having fun.

Also, we got our first new appearance of the Blaster Beam as the Titan goes into the 'nebula' cloud, as well as Goldsmith's Klingon theme when Worf appeared.

IIRC most of these Paramount+ Star Trek shows have their scores released after their season is over?

That animated one that kept getting tracks added to the existing album seemed to be the exception

Still waiting for Strange New Worlds to be released, as that one has not been put out there.

Some good stuff there.

Back to Picard S3: I'm really loving the series so far, and there is some great fun music with a TON of nods to Horner and Goldsmith.

I really liked this episode. I saw a noticeable dip in quality between the first and subsequent episodes of the previous seasons and I didn't get that here.

Have to say, I am unsure as to why Riker was so pissed off at Picard for following his orders. Then again, Picard had been rather insistent on a fight right after totally disregarding Riker's advice about Jack. Gotta sting slightly. On top of that, Picard brought up his history with wrecking ships, which had to have annoyed him (not Riker's fault the saucer of Ent-D crashed, he got it out and away from there as quick as he could before the warp core detonated and it still wasn't quick enough) And Riker had to be seen to be doing something so I suppose sending the one giving bad advice from the bridge was the best thing to do.

Also, preview of the next episode.