Star Trek: Picard (2020 TV Series)

Wojo

It's all clearly shot in Southern California, but that's traditionally where Trek is filmed. The Starfleet locations are the Anaheim Convention Center next to Disneyland.

Path.jpeg

ECN-072014_SW_Anaheim-Convention-Center-expansion.jpg

3 hours ago, Trent B said:

Score release information.  Spoiler regarding Maddox in track list. Proceed at own risk.

http://blog.trekcore.com/2020/02/first-star-trek-picard-soundtrack-coming-february-7/

Maddox is in this show??

images - 2020-02-02T141406.460.jpeg

Picard feels closer in spirit to Discovery which is also closer to Abrams' Trek.

I thought the second episode was better, things are beginning to move, slowly, and before anything gets going, it's over already. Grrr. I miss TNG where two characters would just talk in an office or on a monitor and not cut between them to make for a Sherlockian scene. Just simple scenes, cheap sets, that what I love.

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

And the depictions of suicide!

But TNG had suicide that Lwaxana was painfully against, but which the PD said she could not violate. 

Well Netflix's bland carousels turned up a blank tonight so I ended up hitting play on the first episode of this instead. It's very common for me to fall asleep midway through episodes when I watch them in bed last thing at night, but I managed to stay awake for this, and long enough to see that cool visual twist right at the end.

See, maybe this means Amazon should be making Star Trek; not Netflix.

So yeah, this setup was somewhat derivative of Firefly, with the triggered ultra killing machine female on the run thingy, but at the end of the day it is these hooks that sci-fi and fantasy TV need - a McGuffin that drives the intrigue, at least in the early stages of a bigger overarching storyline which has yet to develop. So I think it's forgivable to rely on timeworn clichés/devices if it helps to bed in an audience; always a challenge, in these genres.

I *might* yet get into this then.

It has to be better than that Altered Carbon I tried last week. The bonehead chad they got to lead that Blade Runnery thing made it pretty much impenetrable to a normal dude like me. Mr zero charisma is it least not something that can be levelled at Patrick Stewart.

7 hours ago, Quintus said:

It has to be better than that Altered Carbon I tried last week. The bonehead chad they got to lead that Blade Runnery thing made it pretty much impenetrable to a normal dude like me. Mr zero charisma is it least not something that can be levelled at Patrick Stewart.

I think if you give the show more of a chance, it'll grow on you. There are other strong characters, and after a while he might kinda grow on you.

Yavar

15 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I think if you give the show more of a chance, it'll grow on you. There are other strong characters, and after a while he might kinda grow on you.

Yavar

Well the central premise was pretty darn fascinating (immortality via proxy host), but since I didn't feel like I could take to the main character I went online after the pilot to see if I could gauge some impressions of the series further in, which is where I noticed some folks saying the show got really good up until some event after the second half, at which point it suddenly fell off a cliff and went downhill from there. True? 

8 hours ago, Quintus said:

Well the central premise was pretty darn fascinating (immortality via proxy host), but since I didn't feel like I could take to the main character I went online after the pilot to see if I could gauge some impressions of the series further in, which is where I noticed some folks saying the show got really good up until some event after the second half, at which point it suddenly fell off a cliff and went downhill from there. True? 

I have yet to see the last two episodes (Don’t ask; I’m married...). Pretty awesome thus far IMO. And according to IMDb episode ratings the last two are 8.5s (highest rated episode of the season being #4 at 8.6).

Yavar

17 minutes ago, wowbobwow said:

This feels like it's from an alternate reality, where the show is actually good.

12 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Jerry Goldsmith and Star Trek..... work!

The first episode I would consider truly good (not just potentially intriguing), and I'm excited to see that the show seems to be leaning towards a more straightahead adventurous feel, if the end is anything to go by.

11 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Well, I have no fucken clue what's going on with the girl on the artifact and the ex-Borg Romulan psych ward, but I liked Picard's new crew. That ending was nice.

Spoiler

As I mentioned, if what I remember from my first watch is accurate, the lady is a foremost authority on Romulan myth. Soja or Sonia or whatever robot girl is wants to use a shared cultural narrative network, that mythology provides, to ground ex-assimilated Romulans to their culture to aid and enhance their rehabilitation. 

3 hours ago, Giftheck said:

I should have expected Hugh would be in charge given he was basically elevated to leadership in TNG. I expected some random cameo.

I had no idea it was him! Did they even say his name?

10 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

I had no idea it was him! Did they even say his name?

They didn't mention his name but I recognised the actor and his voice.

Gonna be interesting when he comes across Picard again.

22 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Well, I have no fucken clue what's going on with the girl on the artifact and the ex-Borg Romulan psych ward, but I liked Picard's new crew. That ending was nice.

It's STD's Tyler/Volk all over again!

Hey it's not too bad this is it. I've sat through two instalments and it's pretty watchable. Two f-bombs in epi 2 were diabolically out of place, but it's low level distraction compared to the omnipresent cringe I felt while wading my way through Discovery's entire first season. But they have to stop with this attempt to force a trendy culture upgrade in this franchise, because it's just embarrassing and it lets itself down with it every time (I still shutter at the memory of crew disco scenes in Discovery).

But the plot, while a bit on the pseudo smart/needlessly confusing side, is rather compelling. And I like how it looks.

One thing: who is this Bruce Maddox guy I heard mention of? It was probably explained at some point, but I can't remember anything about it. If he isn't integral then don't worry about it, but maybe I'll benefit from knowing who he is moving forward. Is he a legacy character?