Odds of a 4K UHD LOTR trilogy release?

John

Also will they finally reissue the extra documentaries from the limited EEs in a normal set? Were they in the big wooden shelf set?

The Fellowship of the Ring looked one way in the theaters, and on the initial DVD of its theatrical cut.

While simultaneously working on TTT theatrical and FOTRE EE, PJ decided that he wanted to color-grade the entire film trilogy more aggressively than he had done for FOTR EE.  So all versions of TTT and ROTK are pretty heavily color-graded, and so is the EE of FOTR.

Here are some comparisons

Good for those people who do 4K.  My final wish for LOTR is that Movies Anywhere or any of the other digital services had the entirety of the special features digitally, instead of just bits and pieces.  Then I'd never need to think about popping those Blu-rays out again

20 minutes ago, Jay said:

The Fellowship of the Ring looked one way in the theaters, and on the initial DVD of its theatrical cut. 

While simultaneously working on TTT theatrical and FOTRE EE, PJ decided that he wanted to color-grade the entire film trilogy more aggressively than he had done for FOTR EE.  So all versions of TTT and ROTK are pretty heavily color-graded, and so is the EE of FOTR.

Interesting, so is there a "correct" or "preferred" version generally? First time I'm hearing of this somehow. I've only ever really lseen the EEs though (except ROTK TE in theaters).

Most people prefer how FOTR looked in theaters than the green tinted EE. 

FOR TTT and ROTK we have no comparison because they were already color-graded in their TEs, apart from the oldest teasers and trailers with TTT and ROTK footage in them

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

Most people prefer how FOTR looked in theaters than the green tinted EE. 

FOR TTT and ROTK we have no comparison because they were already color-graded in their TEs, apart from the oldest teasers and trailers with TTT and ROTK footage in them

Was FOTR EE tinted to look like TTT and ROTK? Sorry if you explained all this. It's Monday morning where I'm at.

3 minutes ago, Gollum Cat said:

Was FOTR EE tinted to look like TTT and ROTK? Sorry if you explained all this. It's Monday morning where I'm at.

FOTR is mostly tinted green, TTT is mostly tinted blue, and ROTK is mostly tinted red

35 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Seeing them side by side, I'd certainly pick the theatrical version - but it's not something I ever notice when just watching the EE.

I would never have known it was a thing until the internet told me. Even now I don’t think I really care. 

2 hours ago, Holko said:

Also will they finally reissue the extra documentaries from the limited EEs in a normal set? Were they in the big wooden shelf set?

What do you mean? The Costa Boates (sp?) were released with the last BluRay set along with all the Appendices. 

The stuff from the original theatrical releases is all in standard def anyway and available cheaply so there’s no need to increase the price by adding additional discs.

Hopefully there might be some new stuff. 

Yes when LOTR premiered on blu, they came packaged with all the special features that had been on all the DVD sets.

In fact, they were even literally the same DVDs as the old sets.  They didn't make new BD discs or HD transfers for them or anything

23 minutes ago, Jay said:

They didn't make new BD discs or HD transfers for them or anything

The material in the extras was shot on SD, so there's no point in doing an HD transfer or using a Bluray for them.

As for the green tint in Fellowship of the Ring, its really not that bad, but I do hope they tone it down. In general, a more naturalistic look fits UHD better.

No doubt this is building up on Amazon (and New Line's) TV series. Can't wait.

3 hours ago, Chen G. said:

The material in the extras was shot on SD, so there's no point in [...] using a Bluray for them.

Since Blu ray discs can hold SD content, I would argue that instead of putting 9 DVD discs in the box set containing the special features, they could have included 2 Blu Ray discs that held the same content instead.

9 minutes ago, Evanus said:

Good, hopefully they'll find a way to release the Hobbit in HFR. 

At the moment I'm more interested in aspect ratio.

Will we ever get to see The Hobbit composed for 2:1, as it was for IMAX?

It requires less letterboxing of the image on a 16:9 TV. Plus, I’d be interesting to appreciate how some of the shots were composed for the taller aspect ratio.

I suppose the filmmakers considered the 2.41:1 the better composed of the two frames.

Wasn't the color problem with the FotR EE only present on the Blu-ray? I remember that looking strikingly off, while the EE DVD looks the same as the TC.

That said, I went to a cinema last year where they screened the Extended Editions off a DCP and FotR had the correct colors. So there should be a proper hi-res version out there. I hope they use it for the new discs.

Also, now would be the time to finally release those Ultimate Edition bonus materials they held back on all those years ago!

• 1 month later...

By the way, there are fan-made Extended Edition of the Fellowship of the Ring without green: LOTR EE color re-grade and 44rh1n’s “The Fellowship of the Ring” Extended Edition Color Restoration.

• 2 months later...
On 10/10/2019 at 5:37 PM, John said:

Looks like the LOTR and Hobbit trilogies are finally getting 4K UHD releases!

Further confirmation from The Digital Bits:

There have been a lot of rumors floating around regarding the 4K Ultra HD release of Peter Jackson’s The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings films in recent weeks. As many of you know, Amazon has a new Lord of the Rings [prequel] TV series coming to Amazon Prime in 2021. So this means Warner will want to get the Jackson films out on 4K around the same time.

What I can tell you is this: I’ve confirmed with multiple sources now that work is underway in New Zealand to prepare new 4K masters of these films. The work is moving at a slow but steady pace. We don’t yet know which versions of the films are being prepared, but Warner will almost certainly want both finished on 4K at some point. If the studio follows past release patterns, it would be reasonable to assume that the Theatrical Editions will be released first, followed by the Extended Editions later (but this is just speculation). As for when you’ll see them on physical 4K, it’s possible they could be done in time for the holidays this year (sometime in Q4) or they could appear in early 2021. Again, much of this is still TBD. But the films are indeed coming.

4K Filme says that a six-film boxset is coming out in October.

Was the CGI in those films rendered in 2k? If so I wonder if they're going to spend any time redoing shots or if they'll just upscale them. 

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Five days.

2 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Shorter than any of The Hobbit movies.

Fools of a Took!

I'm just curious to learn how much more there is, that can be reinserted (no sniggering, at the back!) into each film.

7 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I'm just curious to learn how much more there is, that can be reinserted (no sniggering, at the back!) into each film.

How much can be inserted at the back? Well, I guess that depends...

4 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

If each Middle Earth film had all of its deleted scenes put back in, what would be the running time of each film?

The rough cut of The Fellowship of the Ring was four-and-a-half hours. Return of the King was closer to five, I think The Battle of the Five Armies was well over three, as well.

I don't think any of this footage will (or should) be reinstated into the films. Maybe a few revisions to tie the six films together but that's it, in my mind.

I personally don't want any more in the way of new inserted scenes into extra extended cuts. Deleted scenes as additional bonus material could be interesting though. But don't make the official cuts any longer than what they already are, it's already exhaustive enough. I've even been toying with the idea of making my own cuts recently. There's always been a couple of bothersome sequences in the LotR EEs which I'd ideally like removed, to the extent that I tend to prefer the theatricals for this reason.

I vastly prefer the extended cuts, although as with any films there are things one likes and dislikes: I don't need to bother recutting a film myself just because there's something in it that bothers me.

I'm all for a deleted scenes featurette.

Well, I really HATE the EE Hobbiton opening of FOTR to the extent that I can't abide that cut of the film - even though there are a couple of vital additions made to the film later on. So after nearly twenty years of ignoring my nitpicks, I think i might finally approach a version of my own making as a simple hobbyist's pastime one weekend..

If I were making this set, I’d definitely do a version of “Concerning Hobbits” that slightly shorter, and slightly less reliant on voiceover, but I’m talking maybe thirty seconds’ difference and a line or two less, at the most, and I’d probably add other stuff to the sequence instead.

I’ve seen FOTR-TR and FOTR-EE once each, both in theaters; I thought the latter was a much better film. Better pacing, despite overall length. And, of course, a better adaptation of the source material.

For the other two movies, I have only seen the EEs, so I can’t compare them to the TRs, but, it seemed like a good chunk of their lengths were devoted to original material which wasn’t very good.

• 4 months later...