Odds of a 4K UHD LOTR trilogy release?

John

If they're just upscales of the 2K master, the improvement will be marginable at best. Hopefully they went the extra distance and remastered these properly, scanning the film elements (for any non-VFX shots) and grading them from scratch at proper 4K resolution.

5 hours ago, crumbs said:

If they're just upscales of the 2K master, the improvement will be marginable at best.

Not necessarily. It all depends on how much love and care is taken with the upscales. They can look quite good.

Super-35mm only resolves around 3K, anyway, so the jump in resolution is such that you're not going to - say - discover new leaves on a tree: you'll just be getting more defined edges on leaves that are already there.

Besides, the biggest improvement will be the grading for HDR.

I’d like some new 20th anniversary documentaries to go with this. I’m pretty happy with the current Blu-ray sets (not that I won’t buy these anyway). 

41 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Besides, the biggest improvement will be the grading for HDR.

Yes, I'd assume a HDR grade means they can't just reuse the existing digital intermediates. They'd need to grade the films from scratch, which hopefully means far less bloom.

Even if they went back to the original renders from WETA and started from there, that would yield a huge improvement in mastering. I don't think anyone expects them to rescan all the original film elements and re-composite all the VFX from scratch, even if it's one of the few films that deserve such treatment. Even Cameron didn't go that far with Titanic, and those renders were done in 1997.

I just hope those withheld bonus features finally see the light of day, considering there was apparently a 'goldmine' of unreleased stuff they kept off the DVDs to save for a future release (only for WB to cheap out and not bother commissioning new bonus features on the Blurays). There's so many more deleted scenes that we've only seen fragments of! Would love to see more footage from those early cuts of FOTR/ROTK.

No.

Jackson wanted to have a deleted scenes reel for the Bluray, apart from the presentation of the film. Warner Brothers declined to have the negative rescanned just for the sake of deleted scenes.

21 hours ago, crumbs said:

Yes, I'd assume a HDR grade means they can't just reuse the existing digital intermediates. They'd need to grade the films from scratch, which hopefully means far less bloom.

Begone, green tint of FotR EE! Also last time I watched, RotK looked very Hobbity in places, which is not a good thing.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The release is seemingly confirmed for December by these preorders:

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/movie/detail/-/art/der-hobbit-die-trilogie/hnum/10323949

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/movie/detail/-/art/der-herr-der-ringe-die-trilogie/hnum/10323948

6 and 9 discs accordingly should mean The Lord of the Rings films again go on two separate discs per film (good) and that the extras are put on a single, discrit Bluray for each entry (also good).

46 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I don’t think they’ll ever match the quality of the original very smple EE artwork

If I ever upgraded, you can be damn sure I'd just switch the discs and keep that beauty of a box on my shelf!

3 hours ago, Quintus said:

Is HDR mentioned at all? A full upgrade re-release won't be complete without HDR, IMO. 

Ah yes, where would we be without that guy on YouTube counting nits and peak brightness in The Fellowship of the Ring...

At any rate, yes there does seem to be a confirmation of this:

Der Fantasy-Epos erscheint somit erstmals in 4K Qualität mit HDR

4 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Ah yes, where would we be without that guy on YouTube counting nits and peak brightness in The Fellowship of the Ring...

Which channel, can you link me please. 

6 hours ago, Holko said:

If I ever upgraded, you can be damn sure I'd just switch the discs and keep that beauty of a box on my shelf!

Yeah, that artwork is terrible. They also suggest just theatrical cuts too. 

It's possible they'll have this in a couple of different versions - Theatrical, EEs, and Both.  As trilogies.  Then, give em a year or two and they'll do individual releases.

I certainly won't upgrade from the DVD EEs unless this contains the Appendices, LE docus and new stuff like deleted scenes.

I begin to understand the old farts who got an aneurysm over the old Star Wars films being put on DVD remastered. 

I'm content with the original EEs, and don't need any update, be it Bluray, 4k, 5k, or special k. 

Its just a higher-definition format. As of yet, we don't know of any changes to content, and even if there were any I'm sure they would be selectable. Heck, even if they weren't, we already have the original versions of the film on high-def; completely dissimilar to Star Wars.

5 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

We expect the discs to include both the theatrical and extended versions.

Probably not in the same boxset: the pictured boxsets are for the theatrical versions.

25 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Probably not in the same boxset: the pictured boxsets are for the theatrical versions.

It might be though. It looks like the set contains 9 UHD discs. Perhaps no standard Blu-ray are included. That way you could have two spread over two discs plus one disc of extras per film. After all previous Blu-ray only had multiple discs of extras because they were DVD's.

Karol