Odds of a 4K UHD LOTR trilogy release?

John

26 minutes ago, Holko said:

Why the hell would they? Though RotK already looks Hobbity (=bad) in places.

Weren't there complaints the Blu-ray were DNR'd?

Karol

Update:

Before we get to announcements today, we’ve learned from our sources that Warner should be officially announcing the 4K Ultra HD release of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings sometime in the next two weeks, if all goes well with delivery of the 4K masters. [Read on here...]

The U.S. street date they’re shooting for is definitely 12/1 or thereabouts (call it first week of December), with a simultaneous worldwide release planned. And, in fact, The Hobbit Trilogy and The Lord of the Rings Trilogy are now up for pre-order on Amazon.de with a 12/3 street date (click the title links to pre-order).

https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/100620-1400

https://www.amazon.com/Lord-Rings-Picture-Extended-Theatrical/dp/B08JBB1VZR/ref=tmm_frk_title_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Well it's getting more and more official! We just need the announcement to know exactly what's being included now. Doesn't appear to be any discs for the extras which is a little worrying!

Looks like a pretty poor release tbh. 

Hopefully they’re just getting this out of the way with the intention of going all in with 20th anniversary editions starting next year. 

2 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Wonder if the Hobbit will have a similar deluxe version with an actual attractive case - and if so, what artifact will they include in there?  Another One Ring?

Erebor key? Arkenstone? Sting?

71VBUMpynzL._SL1500_.jpg

So, one theatrical version disc and two extended version discs, labeled as 4K and HDR (at least, until that YouTube bloke starts going on about the "peak brightness").

https://www.theonering.net/torwp/2020/10/07/108839-uhd-4k-lotr-and-hobbit-announced-a-special-message-from-sean-astin/

Both trilogies are coming December 1, 2020, remastered personally by Sir Peter Jackson. A six-film boxset is coming in Fall 2021.

9 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

71VBUMpynzL._SL1500_.jpg

So, one theatrical version disc and two extended version discs, labeled as 4K and HDR (at least, until that YouTube guy starts going on about the "peak brightness").

I'm gathering that you have an irrational annoyance with the guy 😉

Vincent is an ISF certified professional calibrator btw. I find his videos an extremely valuable resource. He's also funny AF. 

Why would they shoot themselves in the foot by announcing those 2021 versions before the 2020 versions are even out?  Weird.

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

Why would they shoot themselves in the foot by announcing those 2021 versions before the 2020 versions are even out?  Weird.

I suppose there's a market for just the films on their own and the 2021 versions will probably be super expensive. But yeah, it is still weird. 

Anyone else extremely concerned about PJ's overseeing of the remastered/upscaled special effects in the 4K Rings movies? 

He can do whatever the hell he likes to the Hobbit movies, but he'd better not pull a Lucas on LotR. If he does he'll be beyond fucked by the fans. 

6 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

I suppose there's a market for just the films on their own and the 2021 versions will probably be super expensive. But yeah, it is still weird. 

Oh don't get me wrong - I understand RELEASING these 2020 versions now ahead of the versions with new special features in 2021

I just don't understand them letting us all know that's their plan now, instead of like, in January

4 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Anyone else extremely concerned about PJ's overseeing of the remastered/upscaled special effects in the 4K Rings movies? 

He can do whatever the hell he likes to the Hobbit movies, but he'd better not pull a Lucas on LotR. If he does he'll be beyond fucked by the fans. 

Not really because if the new versions look bad, I still have the 1080p Blu rays on my shelf and they will always look fine to me

5 minutes ago, Quintus said:

he'd better not pull a Lucas on LotR.

1. He said he won't.

2. Even if he did, WE ALREADY HAVE THE ORIGINAL MOVIES ON BLURAY.

Maybe it would have been better to say he might pull a Ridley Scott.

Clever fans will be able to undo his changes by just swapping in the Blu Ray video upscaled to 4K where needed anyway

They did the whole "but wait, there's more!" thing back with the original DVDs. We were told at the time of the theatrical cut releases that more elaborate Extended Editions were coming later in the year.

It's classy of them. I like it :)

Good to know that the super-duper-mega editions are actually happening!

I prefer my own 1080p cuts anyway, which do look fantastic. I'm not exactly chomping at the bit to own these newer versions, although the HDR aspect is very tantalising to me (and my main incentive to upgrade). 

27 minutes ago, Jay said:

Clever fans will be able to undo his changes by just swapping in the Blu Ray video upscaled to 4K where needed anyway

I'm confident these upcoming releases are unaltered: there's certainly nothing in the announcement nor on the box or the discs themselves that suggests any revision. Heck, if Jackson was anything like Lucas, the box wouldn't have included both the theatrical and the extended cuts to begin with.

A couple of quotes of Jackson's own the matter. From the An Unexpected Journey audio commentary:

It we did, I'd still want the old version to be available and not be discarded, because that belongs to the history of The Lord of the Rings films.

And:

I think life goes on. I don't even watch my films, let alone want to fiddle with them.

The 20th Anniversary Edition might include some changes, although strictly from this announcement it seems more like they're putting-in a "deleted scenes featurette", which we know Jackson already wanted to put on the Bluray.

Jackson is a very fundementally different person to Lucas. Here's Lucas in 1979:

The original screenplay, which was very involved and lengthy, like War and Peace, took me about eight months to write. Afterward, I said, 'I can't possibly shoot this movie; it's going to cost eighty million dollars, and take five years to make. I'll cut it in half and make two screenplays'  So I did, and rewrote the second half. When I looked at that screenplay, it was still very long and complicated. [...] A little over 200 pages. It was like a worm. I cut it in half and both halves got to be as long as the original. [...] So I took the screenplay and divided it into three stories [...I] split into three parts each, two trilogies.

And here's Peter Jackson in 2014:

We did the "wrong way around", we did The Lord of the Rings first, then The Hobbit was going to be two movies, then it was three. And so its all very wierd, unpredictable and there doesn't seem to be anything in control, its just circumstances and "fate" push you around.

So Lucas was bound to make the Special Edition so as to support this bullshit about having planned the entire series in advance (its also where nonesense like "Jabba was always intended to be an alien creature" comes from). Its why he added "Episode IV: A New Hope" and its why he doctored a version of the script to give the appearance that said title was there at the beginning. Jackson is entirely absent these pretentions.

I really think it would be better to compare to Ridley Scott than to Lucas.

I would guess they will replace the FOTR Gollum with the Gollum seen in the other 3 films, perhaps, though

Given that the set contains both versions, maybe the theatrical will stay as-is and the extended will have a revised Gollum. In that case, you'd also expect them to put Martin Freeman into the scene; neither of which would be egregious changes by any stretch of the imagination.

Just speculating.

Again, you'd figure that if there was any revisions made to the film, they would be stated in the announcement or on the box. They're not, so I'm going to assume there are no alterations to content.

Funny, back in the day, you couldn’t turn around without seeing Elijah Wood’s weepy visage on every billboard.

Now it’s like Star Wars, all you see are helmets and puppets and spaceships.

J/K, I love the Tolkien Doors of Durin art. And maps. Always a good call. Though I wouldn’t complain if they put Miranda Otto on the cover.

b288811bbd2c0aab53e02cfdb7aa521d.png

One of the few casting choices I think they completely nailed.

I really hope next year's deluxe edition finally brings us deleted/extended/alternate scenes (for all six movies). Can't say I'm interested in much else in the way of new bonus content.

15 minutes ago, Barnald said:

I really hope next year's deluxe edition finally brings us deleted/extended/alternate scenes (for all six movies). Can't say I'm interested in much else in the way of new bonus content.

TBH I just want new features to rip unreleased music from lol

15 minutes ago, Quintus said:

imagine they went over Ian Holm's Bilbo with Martin Freeman's! 

For a couple of brief shots in Gollum's cave? In a scene that we already have unaltered in HD? Cry me a river...

9 minutes ago, Quintus said:

No for the entire Shire opening! 

That would be wierd, if he were to appear in Rivendell as Ian
 lol