Odds of a 4K UHD LOTR trilogy release?

John

I always found the whole colour grade/softness in these films to be a bit extreme, yeah. This isn't some kind of cutesy fantasy that would benefit from a "storybook" look.

Hopefully they'll pull back a bit for this release.

I'm more interested in seeing the cut footage PJ spoke about in the EE commentaries than worrying about superficial alterations. I wonder if this might also be a good time to push Warner for Hobbit CRs? 

Since the next year's edition might be likely to include mostly old extras anyway perhaps it is not such a dumb idea to get those "cheaper" ones instead? Or sell those sometimes next year. In any case I'll wait for the reviews first. December is usually expensive.

One thing for sure: I won't be paying $50 extra just for packaging. :lol:

Karol

The ring is likely the cheap replica offered with the sets when they first came out on dvd. Better to invest in the more accurate, Jens Hansen version.

19 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Since the next year's edition might be likely to include mostly old extras anyway perhaps it is not such a dumb idea to get those "cheaper" ones instead? Or sell those sometimes next year. In any case I'll wait for the reviews first. December is usually expensive.

One thing for sure: I won't be paying $50 extra just for packaging. :lol:

Karol

Next year has new bonus features apparently 

11 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

Next year has new bonus features apparently 

Probably something like 11-minute "looking back" featurette and a Paley Centre cast reunion Q&A. 😂

Karol

2 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Probably something like 11-minute "looking back" featurette and a Paley Centre cast reunion Q&A. 😂

Karol

Or that silly zoom thing from early in Lockdown...

Hopefully they do the job properly. I’ll be holding out to see what they do. If there’s nothing substantially new the current BluRay sets will do me. 

56 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Karol

If the promised new bonus features were this shit, why not just release the big set this Christmas? If anything, Warner would have likely made more money out of doing one big set (including Blu-ray copies), since UHD/LOTR fanatics will buy it regardless if it's the only game in town.

Given the delay, I have to think the new bonus features will be exciting/substantial. Warner will know that people aren't going to buy the UCE set and double-dip for the umpteenth time for any old garbage. They know the big draw is deleted/unseen material from the films. Include this, and you guarantee strong sales, even with the preceding UHD releases. Anything else, and I'm not convinced. After all, we've already been down this road with the big set with the shelf.

As for why Warner are rushing to get the bare-bones UHD editions out there, well obviously they have the Holiday period in mind, but let's not forget that the two new consoles are releasing later this year, which is likely to be a real boon to the UHD market.

Additionally, to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the first The Lord of the Rings film, a newly remastered Blu-ray trilogy of The Lord of the Rings films will be available in the Fall of 2021, also including the theatrical and extended versions.  

Damn, I hope these will have the "new bonus content" too, otherwise I'm still sticking with my EE DVDs since I have nothing capable of 4K.

Update:

Before we get to announcements today, we’ve learned from our sources that Warner should be officially announcing the 4K Ultra HD release of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings sometime in the next two weeks, if all goes well with delivery of the 4K masters. [Read on here...]

The U.S. street date they’re shooting for is definitely 12/1 or thereabouts (call it first week of December), with a simultaneous worldwide release planned. And, in fact, The Hobbit Trilogy and The Lord of the Rings Trilogy are now up for pre-order on Amazon.de with a 12/3 street date (click the title links to pre-order).

https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/100620-1400

All right Tolkien fans, this is it!

Warner Bros. Home Entertainment has just provided us with the official confirmation: Peter Jackson’s The Lord of the Rings Trilogy and The Hobbit Trilogy will officially arrive on 4K Ultra HD on 12/1.

The Hobbit Trilogy will include The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, and The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies, in both the theatrical and extended versions.

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy will include The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, and The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, again each in both the theatrical and extended versions. [Read on here...]

All six films have been fully remastered by Weta Digital in New Zealand in a process overseen by director Peter Jackson. For The Lord of the Rings, this includes new 4K scans of original camera negative and new 4K scans of the original VFX film outs. The Hobbit films were shot digitally in 5K.

All six films will include Dolby Vision and HDR10 High Dynamic Range. Each will also include Dolby Atmos audio. (Note that The Hobbit films will NOT include HFR high frame rate—they were shot in 48 fps, but 4K UHD supports 60 fps.)

What’s more, here’s a very interesting note from the official press release:

“In addition, it was also announced that a 4K UHD Middle-earth Ultimate Collectors’ Edition featuring the theatrical and extended versions of all six films, along with new bonus content, previously released Blu-ray discs of The Hobbit Trilogy, and remastered Blu-ray discs of The Lord of the Rings Trilogy will be released in the summer of 2021. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy featuring remastered Blu-ray discs of the theatrical and extended versions of the 3 films will also be released in the fourth quarter 2021, to celebrate the 20th anniversary of The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring.”

So you can buy the films in 4K now, or wait if you wish for the truly ultimate box set with new bonus content and remastered Blu-rays too. Our hats off to Warner Bros. Home Entertainment for letting people know that in advance.

Here’s great news too: The SRP for each trilogy is just $89.99, which means sale prices will take them even lower.

Audio options on the 4K discs will include English (Dolby Atmos), Latin Spanish, Canadian French, and Brazilian Portuguese. Subtitles on the US release will include English SDH, Latin Spanish, Canadian French, and Brazilian Portuguese. There are no extras in either trilogy (ie the audio commentaries are not included). And the extended editions are split over two 4K discs to allow for maximum video data rates.

https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/100720-0900

lotr4kgiftset_open.jpg

24 minutes ago, Barnald said:

If the promised new bonus features were this shit, why not just release the big set this Christmas? 

Because the new consoles launching next monyh have 4K Blu-ray players and they want a piece of that cake. And they want you to buy it twice. Have you learned nothing about big studio strategies? ;)

Seriously though, I hope you are right.

Karol

30 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Because the new consoles launching next monyh have 4K Blu-ray players and they want a piece of that cake.

I did mention that...

I'm only getting these if they have new bonus features. IIRC, Jackson and the documentary producer withheld stacks of bonus material from the EEs in the hope WB would fund new bonus material for a high definition release down the track. Surprise surprise, WB didn't fork out the cash when the Blurays came along and just upscaled the existing (admittedly excellent) bonus material.

But I'm psyched for LOTR deleted scenes, really hope those are finally released. So much unused material!

They didn't even upscale the DVD bonus features.  The Blu Rays literally come with DVDs in the case for the special features, identical to the old ones.

Yeah, it was almost enough to make me not buy the Blu-rays, although I did eventually on a sale (and then much later, HD digital on sale).

My hope for the 4K editions is that they give us something resembling the way the picture looked on screen as closely as possible, warts and all, in the highest resolution possible.  That's it.  No, like, Freeman inserts or updated Gollum models.  I'll be very interested to read the reviews, even though it'll be months or years down the line before I upgrade (certainly not before the edition with the new features).

I hope as part of this, even if they wait until next year for their box, that they update digital copy libraries to include ALL the special features.  The EEs have one or two documentaries each available for digital viewing on Movies Anywhere.

(I have them ripped onto Plex, so I already have access to them digitally, but I generally think digital copies should come with the same features as the discs, IMO.  Some studios are much better at this than others, and sometimes it depends on where your digital copy exists (Vudu may have features not on Movies Anywhere, iTunes may have access to features not on either of those, etc.).

I still haven't seen 2/3 Costa Boates documentaries and 2/3 Hobbit appendices, so I guess I don't know why I care so much about the features anyway...

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

They didn't even upscale the DVD bonus features.  The Blu Rays literally come with DVDs in the case for the special features, identical to the old ones.

That's even worse! Shamefully lazy.

Fox set the benchmark of converting DVD bonus material to Bluray with the Alien Anthology set. They rehired the same producer who created the documentaries on the Alien Quadrilogy set, who went back to the original edit files and upscaled everything from SD to HD, converted footage from 4:3 to 16:9 where possible, created brand new title graphics, scanned all the older photos/images in high resolution, and even inserted new material that couldn't fit in the older versions due to space limitations.

Clearly a smart guy because he hired MM to recreate all the isolated scores as well! I love the feature that lets you listen to cues via the menus (without watching the film itself).

I really miss the days when studios invested heavily in bonus material.

17 minutes ago, mstrox said:

My hope for the 4K editions is that they give us something resembling the way the picture looked on screen as closely as possible, warts and all, in the highest resolution possible.  That's it.  No, like, Freeman inserts or updated Gollum models.  I'll be very interested to read the reviews, even though it'll be months or years down the line before I upgrade (certainly not before the edition with the new features).

From memory FOTR was finished on film, so they can definitely strike a new transfer of the OCN in 4K and make it look stunning. New colour grade (without teal) would be nice.

TTT and ROTK, no idea. I thought those were finished entirely in AVID with a digital intermediate, meaning there's no analogue master to transfer anew (thus it can only be an upscale of the existing masters). I can't imagine they'd go to the expense and energy of sifting through all the dailies and re-transferring every shot from scratch, much less re-composite all the CGI.

Although curiously TOR.net notes that the special effects have been "remastered," whatever that means.

Peter Jackson and the team remastered the entirety of both trilogies (and extended editions), including the special effects, to make these masterpieces of cinema look as amazing and breathtaking on your modern devices as the day we saw them in the theater. And most likely a lot better!.

Of course I'd love TTT and ROTK to be "true" 4K with the original negatives scanned in high resolution and the CGI re-composited over the top, but realistically it's never going to happen. They couldn't even do it for Jurassic Park and it only had 60 CGI shots.

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yea those Alien and Aliens BDs are absolutely top notch

I'd argue the documentary for 3 is the best of the lot. A warts-and-all insight into how it became such a trainwreck film production, and doesn't shy away from stripping back the veneer of Hollywood PR gloss. Wildly refreshing seeing actors, writers and executives all discussing how the production imploded.

Highly recommended, even if you hate or have no interest in the third film (and the extended cut of the film is a big improvement on the theatrical cut too).

On 10/7/2020 at 6:53 PM, Jay said:

I don't expect them to put Martin Freeman in FOTR!  Are other fans expecting that!?

I don't think so. I hope not. Changing the FOTR Gollum would be fine (and something Jackson has said he'd be inclined to do) but erasing Holm's performance would be another thing altogether. In any event, the scene in AUJ plays out much differently than in the FOTR prologue, and more like the version Bilbo told. I hope Jackson leaves it as it is.

17 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

In any event, the scene in AUJ plays out much differently than in the FOTR prologue, and more like the version Bilbo told

I'v seen clips that manage to cut it quite well into the Fellowship prologue. Its such a little change, and since we already have the films as-is in high-definition, who cares?

16 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

If I had to guess, I'd say they'll leave it alone for this release, but for the big, mega, super release coming next year, I can see Jackson tinkering a bit more. In which case I'd be all for it, as long as we have the original versions in the highest quality currently available.

Yeah, maybe the new bonus material is Uber Ultra Extended Editions, 5 hours each!

2 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

In any event, what I'm more interested in is the colour grade for this release, and if they'll get rid of that damn green tint in Fellowship.

They would've done a completely new colour grade due to HDR, so... hopefully!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm probably reading too much into it, but the colours look different again in this promo shot. I actually quite like it in this instance, but it still fills me with dread that Jackson might have re-graded the entire trilogy, for the worse (knowing him). 

PK2Hu4T.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Awesome news! Can't wait to start seeing screenshots. 

FOTR will look incredible, it should have the most native 4K shots of the trilogy (instead of upscaled vfx shots). 

8 hours ago, crumbs said:

FOTR will look incredible, it should have the most native 4K shots of the trilogy (instead of upscaled vfx shots). 

Actually, for now it seems it fared the least well, because some of the early VFX shots were finished on film, and look worse scanned back than shots that have been digitally upscaled.

https://thedigitalbits.com/item/lord-of-the-rings-trilogy-2020-4k-uhd

I'm actually tempted to buy these now and sell later when the other version comes out. I wasn't going to do it but it has been such a shit year that I could use a bit of a cheer. Positive reviews only make me want to do that even more. I haven't seen those films in many years. I don't think I've seen the Blu-rays. 

Karol

On 11/26/2020 at 3:01 PM, Chen G. said:

I think its worth the wait to at least learn a little bit more about the upcoming "collector's edition" coming next.

I heard there's going to be one new piece of extra content but the old extras won't be included.

Karol

2 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I heard there's going to be one new piece of extra content but the old extras won't be included.

Karol

No way, even the lazy previous blus threw in the appendices and PJ's been teasing more stuff like deleted scenes definitely coming later since the DVDs came out! What's the source on that?

4 minutes ago, Holko said:

No way, even the lazy previous blus threw in the appendices and PJ's been teasing more stuff like deleted scenes definitely coming later since the DVDs came out! What's the source on that?

I was reading this review and there's this passage:

Be aware, Warner has also announced plans to release both 4K sets together in one more deluxe package next summer. That set is expected to include the same 4K movie discs coming on 12/1, with the same Hobbit Blu-rays already available (the movies only, not the extras), and newly-produced Lord of the Rings Blu-rays upgraded with better image quality from their 4K remaster (those remastered Lord of the Rings Blu-rays will also be available separately next year, in honor of the 20th anniversary of The Fellowship of the Ring). That package too will include Digital Copies, but according to Warner Bros. Home Entertainment it will NOT include The Appendices or any of the other previous extras (with the likely exception of the audio commentaries on the regular Blu-rays). We’re told that it will, however, include one new piece of bonus content that’s still yet to be determined. And that package is likely to include deluxe packaging and swag items too (possibly a book of some kind, artwork cards, and maybe replicas of the One Ring and the Key to Erebor).

So if you’re considering upgrading to these films in 4K, what you have to decide is which version you want: The movies only now in two separate packages, or the movies later in one package, with Blu-rays too, and one new piece of bonus content? (I must tell you, I couldn’t wait myself, and you’ll see why below. But that’s just me.) Either way, you’ll need to keep your previous Blu-rays if you wish to retain all of The Appendices and other bonus content.

I'm not sure where did they learn that. Or indeed if there is any truth to that.

Karol