Odds of a 4K UHD LOTR trilogy release?

John

Yeah, it was weird for me, too. But then, the title of the movie is The Return of the King (which Tolkien himself objected to on this very ground, of course) so all in all its probably not a huge issue.

Still kinda odd.

Not gonna lie, except for TBOTFA, I like these individual covers. Doesn't really matter to me though, I've already got my 4K digital copies for LOTR and that's enough for me.

It does make me wonder if we ever really will get a truly "Ultimate" edition. I never thought this would be it, but Jackson has hinted at a kind of Ultimate set over the years. This would not just include deleted scenes as part of the extras, but adding some back into the films themselves. There have also been hints of sticking Martin Freeman in the LOTR prologue, updating the FOTR Gollum, updating the SFX, and re-editing all the films altogether to play more like one long saga (as opposed to two separate but connected trilogies). All of which I'd be fine with as long as the original versions were made available as well (and Jackson said they would be). So if fans are disappointed with this release, it's understandable if they had higher expectations based on the bar PJ set.

I just think Jackson in some ways has moved on, and he's more of a documentary filmmaker than anything now, and I understand if he's more comfortable in the editing suite than managing a massive blockbuster film production.  That said, I do believe eventually he'll want to get back to Middle-earth and put this set out, it's his legacy after all and LOTR will be in the first line of his obit. The question is will physical media still be a viable product by the time he gets around to it? And if not, I can certainly see a streaming service wanting something like this, ala the Synder Cut, to bring in subscribers.

10 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Jackson has hinted at a kind of Ultimate set over the years.

Most of those remarks were made more in jest, I think; which is not to contradict your point: people joke about their real intentions all the time, and the fact that it is such a recurring joke (especially in the audio commentaries) would suggest its something he did have on his mind.

In a way, I really appreciate that he's let the franchise go: its much healither for an artist; less backwards-looking.

10 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

All of which I'd be fine with as long as the original versions were made available as well (and Jackson said they would be).

They already are available: whatever Jackson chooses to do, the fact of the matter is we already have the films, unchaged, both in 1080p and 4K...

35 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

They already are available: whatever Jackson chooses to do, the fact of the matter is we already have the films, unchaged, both in 1080p and 4K...

Right. I'm saying, going forward, if there's a new format, or a new colour grade, a new transfer, less obvious DNR, better compression, more sophisticated AI upscaling, immersive virtual reality edition, whatever, I'd like to see the original edits of the film given the same care and attention as any "special edition". There could be many advances in technology that will improve the home video experience we aren't even aware of.

It's easy to say "I'm fine with the 4K's we have", but just remember a lot of people feel that way about DVD. I mean, the original versions of Star Wars are available in VHS, but what good does that do anyone today?

I woulda been tempted to upgrade if the new features were more interesting to me, or if this were a comprehensive release otherwise (all old features on disc), but as it has neither, I’ll stick to my Blu-Ray sets and digital copies for now.

I'll buy a nice 4K BD set one day if it comprehensively includes all bonus features that have ever been released on all prior editions - and if I get a 4K player (or a PS5)

Until then, I'll stream the remasters when they show up on one of the services somewhere or just stick to my current 1080p blu rays I guess

Why do people want the old special features when they already have them? Is it to get rid of the old sets? I have loads of copies of the Appendices so it wouldn’t bother me if they never re-released them in a big set. Imagine the price of this set if it included all those extra discs? You’re talking 6 BluRays for the 3 Hobbits, 3 for the LotR, and maybe an extra one or two for the CB docs. That’s 44 discs straight away. Plus people would still want more new bonus features.

I’d say the chances are slim given the date of physical media.

Well, in my case, I'd want a single 4K disc that contains all the old features on that one disc, not a reprinting of each disc as they already are.

IE, if you think of each old DVD bonus disc as being 8gb each, that's only 24gb per film.  Even standard BD discs hold 25GB per layer

I think there’s a significant chance that this is the last time these films get a new release in physical media. I could be wrong but I’d be surprised 

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Have you ever said no to any LOTR merch?

Oh God yes. This is my first time buying these films since the original BluRay boxset came out in like 2011 or whenever. 

Outside of books I don’t think I have much LotR merch actually. 

• 1 month later...

This shipped today. Part of me wants to leave it for Xmas but I also want to rewatch the theatrical Fellowship for its 20th anniversary. 

On 22/10/2021 at 5:54 PM, His Royal Noelness said:

This shipped today. Part of me wants to leave it for Xmas but I also want to rewatch the theatrical Fellowship for its 20th anniversary. 

4 hours ago, His Royal Noelness said:

Think I’m going to watch the Cannes reel tonight 😬

I thought the release date of the fancy new box was November 16th?  How do you have it already?

52 minutes ago, Jay said:

I thought the release date of the fancy new box was November 16th?  How do you have it already?

Released in this part of the world on Monday. Don’t know why it’s later for the US but U.K. and Ireland got it Monday. 

Huh, I had no idea. Wow, that's great! I hope somebody puts the Cannes presentation online somewhere for us Americans to preview before the 16th...

You laugh, but I'd literally watch along with you if you did that

It's crazy to me this set is already out in the UK, and there's like no discussion of it online anywhere.  I found exactly one thread on reddit from someone who has it, and they don't even mention the Cannes reel

https://www.reddit.com/r/lotr/comments/qg35uy/the_bluray_discs_in_the_middle_earth_ultimate/

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

You laugh, but I'd literally watch along with you if you did that

It's crazy to me this set is already out in the UK, and there's like no discussion of it online anywhere.  I found exactly one thread on reddit from someone who has it, and they don't even mention the Cannes reel

https://www.reddit.com/r/lotr/comments/qg35uy/the_bluray_discs_in_the_middle_earth_ultimate/

Yes, I found no details online at all. 

I guess since WB already launched the 4K editions last year and the new bonus features in this box are mostly a dud is the cause of that

That’s probably it. There’s be more hype if the transfers were new but it’s just a rerelease of a 12 month old set with fancier packaging and an extra disc of features. 

Awesome, thanks for the report!

So is the NZSO "The Breaking of the Fellowship" not in the Cannes preview?

21 minutes ago, His Royal Noelness said:

“9 companions to match the 9 ringwraiths.” - Elrond

I remember seeing this in the EE documentaries, and thinking it was weird it was muted in the film, because the shot still lingers long enough where it would have fit in.  Must have been muted at the very last minute

Dwarrowdelf and Ballin‘s Tomb music sounds as is in the theatrical. So long since I’ve seen the theatrical though. Is Sam’s “I think I’m getting the hang of this in the theatrical?”

It is.  The only bit restored for the EE that wasn't in the TC was when the troll is hunting Sam and Boromir and Aragorn save him, then an orc is about to kill Boromir before Aragorn saves him

“I think there’s more to this Hobbit than meets the eye.” Is Hobbit in the film? I always thought he said outfit. 

It's always been "hobbit" and not "outfit"!

15 minutes ago, Jay said:

Aw, drat. I thought for some reason it would be

I thought it was too for some reason but today I read a report from the time and there was no mention of the breaking. 

do we know why it was even record with the NZSO?

@Doug Adamshave you answered this before? If so, apologies for asking! 

Just now, Jay said:

It's always been "hobbit" and not "outfit"!

Weird, I’ve always heard outfit before! The dialogue seems a lot clearer here. 

1 minute ago, Jay said:

It is.  The only bit restored for the EE that wasn't in the TC was when the troll is hunting Sam and Boromir and Aragorn save him, then an orc is about to kill Boromir before Aragorn saves him

I believe that’s missing here too. It must be the locked theatrical cut. I really need to rewatch the TE! 

That sounds like one helluva preview!! Imagine sitting in that Cannes audience and getting to see all that for the first time...insane...

9 minutes ago, His Royal Noelness said:

I thought it was too for some reason but today I read a report from the time and there was no mention of the breaking. 

do we know why it was even record with the NZSO?

The only thing the Annotated Score PDF says is that it was recorded "at the same time"

image.png

I thought I remember reading somewhere once it was was recorded for the preview, but maybe it was a different preview? Hmm.

1 minute ago, KK said:

That sounds like one helluva preview!! Imagine sitting in that Cannes audience and getting to see all that for the first time...insane...

Absolutely! I can totally see why it generated the hype that it did. It was worth the wait I have to say. Waiting 20 years to see it!

1 minute ago, Jay said:

image.png

I need a re-read of all of Doug’s stuff.

The original version of that scene with the NZSO Breaking Of music would have been nice in this set. 

I do wonder why they recorded that at the same time though. Was it just because the music was written and they had the time booked or did they intend to show that footage at some point 🤔 

27 minutes ago, His Royal Noelness said:

I believe that’s missing here too. It must be the locked theatrical cut. I really need to rewatch the TE! 

I was thinking about watching the theatrical cuts this winter.  It's been a while

Oh, and we have a 4K tv, and I haven't seen the new 4k remasters yet

15 minutes ago, His Royal Noelness said:

I do wonder why they recorded that at the same time though. Was it just because the music was written and they had the time booked or did they intend to show that footage at some point 🤔

That sounds familiar actually, that perhaps it was originally going to be shown at the same preview then they changed their mind?  Or they thought they'd have two previews and the other one never happened?  Hmmm

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

was thinking about watching the theatrical cuts this winter.  It's been a while

I’m definitely going to watch Fellowship for the 20th anniversary. 

I don’t think I’ve seen the TE since the original BluRays came out. 

I saw TT and RotK with the orchestra but that’s nearly 10 years ago now too.

26 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

They did.

That’s why it doesn’t appear in Shazam so. It isn’t particularly good, interesting, or memorable. It’s the most boring part musically anyway. 

Plan 9

Gothic Power

Music from Gladiator

Shore

I'm still curious to hear some of the non-Shore pieces that are out there: there's another diegetic Hobbit sound they had composed and performed, there's another composition of Viggo's as a replacement for Arwen's Song, etc...

Just because its not composed by Shore doesn't mean its not part of the musical fabric of the Middle Earth films!

13 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Just because its not composed by Shore doesn't mean its not part of the musical fabric of the Middle Earth films!

Don’t think anyone has said otherwise. 

The Plan 9 music in the reel is pretty bland though. It’s cool to hear it but my life would not feel incomplete if I never heard it. In all honesty it sounds like generic Library music that could have been written for anything. It fits less well than the music from gladiator actually.