Odds of a 4K UHD LOTR trilogy release?

John

Interesting that they had Gladiator in the temp track so shortly after the release of the album. Prior to that, the temp track was mostly Shore stuff and Last of the Mohicans and Braveheart "for the more epic scenes."

Of course, Ian Nathan (with whom I had a nice chat recently) had already reported that the Cannes reel had Gladiator stuff in there, but still!

Nah, that was long before that.

There wouldn't have been footage to have music composed for: it was mostly behind-the-scenes material and animatics. It had a temp track of Shore, Last of the Mohicans and Braveheart.

On 29/10/2021 at 5:21 PM, Jay said:

Ah, maybe that is what the NZSO version of the finale was recorded for?

The NZSO finale was recorded to picture and still synchronises apart from a section in the middle. Footage was apparently deleted between Frodo and Sam rowing across the river and the cut back to Gimli and company on the shore.

The recording was never finished - the tail end of the piece is missing choral overlays which were never recorded - and the entire composition was tweaked and re-recorded in London in Autumn 2001.

Right, but why did they record that the same time they recorded all the Moria music?  Who were they planning on showing this recording synced to the finale to?

27 minutes ago, Jay said:

Right, but why did they record that the same time they recorded all the Moria music?  Who were they planning on showing this recording synced to the finale to?

Good question, and I don't have an answer! They also recorded more Moria music than was used in the preview. Perhaps the Cannes preview went through several different editorial concepts, or the finale was previewed to New Line executives at some time? 

3 hours ago, Jim Ware said:

Perhaps the Cannes preview went through several different editorial concepts

I think this is the answer.

The Cannes reel was edited jointly by Jackson and Robert Shaye, so it makes sense that it ping-ponged between them with all manner of permutations.

For all the banging on I do about not caring about fancy packaging/boxes/art...... I'm a bit surprised how flimsy, and just a tad bland this set looks. Doesn't look like it would withstand a lot of unfolding and removing/replacing discs.

Although that's far from the only reason you wouldn't get me buying this - I have no reason on this earth to own any Hobbit movies.

Far more meaningful to me are the statues that came with the Limited EE DVDs, of which I tracked down unopened sets 2 or 3 years ago. (and form part of the reason I have four copies of the EE of RotK on DVD)

1 hour ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I find weird the roman numerals….looks like star wars

I was thinking they should have gone with another numbering convention, but what would it have been? Just 1-6? A-E? I suppose the archaic nature of roman numerals works for the aesthetic of The Lord of the Rings just like it did to Star Wars.

7 hours ago, Jay said:

I imagine the New Line execs were very pleased to see the finale synced to that recording.  I'd be sold!

I’d love to have seen how they reacted to the Cannes reel. I was buzzing after seeing it last week 20 years after seeing the actual film! It made me want to watch the whole trilogy right there and then. 

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

I'm a bit surprised how flimsy, and just a tad bland this set looks. Doesn't look like it would withstand a lot of unfolding and removing/replacing discs.

The only bit I find flimsy is the box for the extras and merch. The rest of it seems no more flimsy than any other set tbh. One of the unboxings has someone’s peeling or something but there’s none of that on mine. I love the all black with the golden ring spell on in. It seems sturdy enough to hold up to amount of use I’d expect to give the set. You’re not going to be messing with the configuration every day like. 

I just noticed that on Amazon UK, the regular BD set is just £35, whereas 4K will cost you a whopping £200 :o

I've been half meaning to pick up FotR (most nostalgically important to me) in BD if I found it cheap enough.

23 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I find weird the roman numerals….looks like star wars now and i think it is wrong for this series….

22 hours ago, Chen G. said:

I was thinking they should have gone with another numbering convention, but what would it have been? Just 1-6? A-E? I suppose the archaic nature of roman numerals works for the aesthetic of The Lord of the Rings just like it did to Star Wars.

To this point, there was a nifty six-volume (seven including Appendices) "Millennium" edition of LOTR that was released some time ago, created more in accordance with the six "books" (and their originally conceived corresponding titles) that comprise Lord of the Rings (which is one book).  I quite like it, and it wisely didn't use Roman numerals.

In any event, there's nothing in this new set that makes me even remotely tempted to buy it. The Cannes reel is nice (though the New Line presentation would be even better), but I'll find that elsewhere.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS_RGmA6rvJcWx_dEMV8hN

I wonder why they edited it down for the Fan Club credits instead of just giving us the entire thing there

33 minutes ago, Jay said:

I wonder why they edited it down for the Fan Club credits instead of just giving us the entire thing there

Either:

1: because of the unrecorded choir

2: because of length with all the other credits inclusions.

• 2 weeks later...

Bill Hunt's review is up

https://thedigitalbits.com/item/middle-earth-6-film-2021-4k-uhd-bd-box

It looks like a nice set that'd be worth owning for like, a fourth of the price, if it also had the existing DVD special feature discs.

I believe if you were to assemble this set from the various individual trilogy sets the price doesn’t work out that much more expensive to buy the 31 disc set.

And plus, anyone buying the 31 disc set most definitely already has the appendices #JustSaying

7 hours ago, His Royal Noelness said:

anyone buying the 31 disc set most definitely already has the appendices

And the appendices are available to those who purchase the set via streaming.

And its not like there's a benefit to physical media over streaming when it comes to SD-shot extras...

• 1 month later...

I completely forgot, is there any news on when we're getting EE blus with the new master? I'm refusing to get the tinted FotR and don't have a 4k player.

I mean, I linked to an Amazon US entry for the US version of that boxset; I'd look up your region's version in your country's amazon

12 hours ago, Doctor Faust said:

Is that footage available to view anywhere online? Seems like it is just available for those who purchase the new box set.

yes, it is just available on the box set.

So the UK only has a theatrical blu box and a big 30 disc Hobbit+LotR EE box with no appendices. And that US Amazon page has zero info about region locking. Bah.

20 hours ago, Jay said:

I wonder why there's no UK-native version of that box set?

@Jim Ware are we just missing something obvious?

There is - it's an HMV exclusive.

https://store.hmv.com/store/film-tv/blu-ray/the-lord-of-the-rings-trilogy-extended-editions-(h

Ah there we go, that perfectly explains why it's not on Amazon UK

I guess it's a limited time exclusive, and will be sold everywhere eventually?

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

I guess it's a limited time exclusive, and will be sold everywhere eventually?

yeah in a barebones release without the third extra disc that I've been wanting for years and never seen, knowing my luck and this despicable industry!

21 hours ago, Jim Ware said:

Warner Bros. blu-rays typically have no region coding (and may even be the same physical discs in different regions).

The DVDs are unfortunately another question, someone on reddit said they'd be Region 1. I have the Appendices from the Region 2 DVD set but not the Costa Botes ones. :( That's also why I wouldn't want to wait for a future potential non-exclusive but barebones movies-only set. Though now that I'm checking, the movie discs in the EE DVD set are explicitly marked Region 2 and the Appendices discs aren't, though they have the UK age rating and stuff like that on them.

22 hours ago, Holko said:

Any volunteers for being the middle man?

I wasn't joking about this by the way, I'd be very grateful if we could handle this with someone!