LotR (Shore) OSTs - special editions?

Pellaeon

Yes, for each release there was the standard jewel case edition, a "Limited Ldition" with a faux leather cover (no additional music though as far as I can remember) and then there was the "Internet Edition" of the Limited Edition (for TTT and ROTK). Same music, but came with useless enhanced CD content, trading cards and most interestingly a different colour scheme for the covers.  Those are also quite rare, but somewhat cheaper than the EE's on the second hand market.  Interestingly, the website for these editions is still active, complete with (non-working) order links.  

These "Internet Editions" are among the few titles that survived my great CD purge of 2012.

22 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Yes, for each release there was the standard jewel case edition, a "Limited Ldition" with a faux leather cover (no additional music though as far as I can remember)

That's not correct.

FOTR had no additional music at all, true.

TTT had a bonus track at the end called "Farewell to Lorien " that was made up of music from the FOTR EE recordings - music we now have on the FOTR CR in the tracks "Gilraen's Memorial" and "The Fighting Uruk-hai".  As a result of adding this bonus track, both "The Uruk-Hai " and "The Black Gate Is Closed" are shortened on this version of the OST.

ROTK had no extra music on the CD, but the included DVD has music that isn't even on the CR or Rarities Archive ("Use Well The Days").

21 minutes ago, Pellaeon said:

Okay, so the FotR with “Includes two new songs by Enya” is just referring to the songs she sings on every version of the OST?

Yes.

Yes, I remember about Farewell to Lorien...I plugged it into the FOTR OST in iTunes. But I didn't know it resulted in shortened versions of those two tracks!  Wow.

The ROTK DVD also has a featurette on Howard Shore, if I recall correctly.

It's pretty silly they did that, considering adding the bonus track still resulted in a CD well under 78 minutes.  Oh well

#Marketing

It was a cue from the FOTR "expanded edition," which was recorded after the release of the FOTR OST - so it was fresh and new.  So it's a bonus track and it served as cross-promotion for that DVD box as well.

2 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

And what's the logic behind putting a bonus track from the FOTR EE on TTT TE soundtrack anyway? I always thought that was an odd choice.

1) The music there literally hadn't been recorded yet when the produced the FOTR OSTs

2) The FOTR EE DVD set was a new item on the market around the time the TTT OST was coming out, so it is smart cross-marketing

3) The TTT OST album is theoretically Shore's preferred presentation of music recorded for TTT, so it is logical that the bonus track could be some FOTR EE music he really liked

Meh. In retrospect, I don't think it made a lot of sense (and they certainly didn't repeat the stunt with the ROTK OST). And I doubt it resulted in selling even one additional EE DVD.  And now that you tell me two tracks are shortened b/c of it, it makes even less sense.

At the time, I remember thinking I'd rather have more music from TTT.

The editing done on Howard Shore's OST albums is always  first rate. He's  very good in doing sensible  and  functional  micro-edits. (The Bridge Of Khazad Dum, for instance)

I downIoaded the OST versions of those tracks from Napster or whatever P2P was hot at that time. I wanted those extra snippets, but didn't think this practice should be encouraged by buying the same score twice.

On 8/8/2018 at 5:22 PM, Jay said:

It's pretty silly they did that, considering adding the bonus track still resulted in a CD well under 78 minutes.  Oh well

There was a technical restriction (CD-ROM content or similar) at the time necessitating delivery of a 72 minute album.

I decided to get the normal OST CDs. They’re inexpensive, and a definitive listening experience. The other night we had the limited editions playing during our game night, and it was incongruous for TTT to not end with Gollum’s Song.

On 8/10/2018 at 9:54 AM, Jim Ware said:

There was a technical restriction (CD-ROM content or similar) at the time necessitating delivery of a 72 minute album.

And to think that technology ran Jurassic Park. No wonder things went tits up.

• 4 weeks later...