Anyone else prefer Ghostbusters II to the original?

17 hours ago, Thekthithm said:

Anyone else get the impression that Venkman and Spengler didn't like each other much?

I'm not sure if Murray and Rietman liked each other, but then, Murray has a reputation for being a little "difficult", at times. I'm sure Mr. Dreyfuss would agree ;)

As to GHOSTBUSTERS II; I once thought it was better, by virtue of the fact that I knew what to expect - which I did not from the first one. I was never a fan of the original, but I've grown to appreciate it, at least. 

So...good things about II: the effects, the song (I think it's called ON OUR OWN), Sigourney Weaver, Rick Moranis.

Not so good things; the silly villain, the underused Peter MacNicol, the absence of William Atherton, and the sense that, as nice as it is, well...we've seen it all, before.

I wouldn't call II "rushed", but there is an "undercooked" feel, to it.

The biggest mistake (and no-one could blame Columbia for not knowing this) is that II had the misfortune to be released against a certain film, which became the phenomenon of '89. Now, one could argue that other films did alright, and that II failed due to its lack of merits, but how much better would it have been, if a later release-date, had been decided, coupled with some extra work? Of course, we'll never know, and, as it stands, II is a good film, but not the great film that it could have been.

6 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

The biggest mistake (and no-one could blame Columbia for not knowing this) is that II had the misfortune to be released against a certain film, which became the phenomenon of the '89.

Tango and Cash?

Saw Ghostbusters 2 last night. I prefer this one- I certainly found it to have a lot more laughs, likely a product of growing comfortableness after the first one, which is still a classic and highly esteemed by myself. Both are very fun romps.

On 9/11/2018 at 1:22 PM, jwalk713 said:

The first one may be the technically 'better' film of the two, but the second one is ... funnier to me? I don't even know any more. I love them equally. 

That's basically what I think of it. Despite knowing its faults, it just appeals to me more. How can one hate a movie where four guys control the Statue of Liberty with an NES Advantage, while "Higher and Higher" plays in the background? Just sublime.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Did this movie inspire anyone else to research whether the Pneumatic Transit System was an actual thing? It's really one of those "Dan Aykroydy" things about the script that he'd actually know about that stuff.

It must be a labyrinth of abandoned tunnels and layers of long defunct infrastucture beneath New York City that dates back centuries. That was the only thing about the 2016 film that I thought was about right, using the spooky subterranean infrastructure and vintage local government schematics to unravel the big bad's evil plan.

Dan Aykroyd tours our area every year or two to hock bottles of his space vodka.  Looks like he mainly does voice acting now, and the occasional live-action cameo.  What a weird career turn for somebody who was one of the biggest comedy actors on the planet for an entire decade.

On 10/26/2019 at 8:50 AM, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

He must be insane.

I thought he was a Pisces.

On 10/26/2019 at 9:48 AM, Thekthithm said:

I've maaaaade over a hundred films... how many have you maaaaade??

He's...still...the #1...guy.