Fourth Abramsverse Star Trek film

John

Simon Pegg is "confident" 'Star Trek' sequel will happen.

"I know we're doing more. I'd love to – I love those guys. It's, of course, difficult because we lost Anton [Yelchin] and moving forward without him still feels unimaginable".

"I don't think Quentin is going to direct it, because he's got his California movie [Once Upon a Time in Hollywood] to do and then I think [he's] only doing one more film after that".

• 3 months later...

I think it’s very telling about enthusiasm for the new film series that no one on JWFan has commented on Chris Pine’s seeming exit from the next movie over money negotiations.  News that has been around for days.

11 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I think it’s very telling about enthusiasm for the new film series that no one on JWFan has commented on Chris Pine’s seeming exit from the next movie over money negotiations.  News that has been around for days.

I have very little enthusiasm for any of the new Trek films after the worse than Trek V disaster that was the last movie.  But I sort of just assume this is a negotiating ploy on Pine's part. I assume he's going to end up in the film.

And Paramount has financial troubles so they probably couldn't give Pine and Hemsworth what they've asked for.

But still, you being a die-hard Trekkie, this can't be good news. 

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

With the exception of me, the previous Star Trek movie (ST: Beyond) is somehow quite liked at JWfan, is it not? 

No, you're not the only one. Here's what I said at the time...

On 10/8/2016 at 12:00 AM, Nick1066 said:

I finally got around to watching Star Trek Beyond.

This film should be hauled away as garbage. The worst two hours of Star Trek ever produced. Worse than Spock's Brain. Worse than Code of Honor. Worse than the worst two hours of Voyager or Enterprise. Worse than Nemesis. Makes Into Darkness (the previous worst) look like The Wrath of Khan by comparison. Absolutely awful. It has nothing to do with Star Trek, and is a disgrace to the name.  The cast, who are mostly decent (with the exception of Quinto's usual portrayal of Spock as a psychopath serial killer in waiting) is mostly wasted. Which is a pity because Pine & Urban are mostly good. And the score is OK. The Yorktown is in fact a beautiful creation but otherwise the CGI...terrible. No sense at all that the characters are in the space their supposed to be occupying. Just a lot of running around screaming and stupid trying to be cool one liners. If at some point in the development process there was message about exploration and reaching the frontier and loneliness it was lost by the time it hit the screen. And the less said about the Beastie Boys as a crucial plot point in a Star Trek movie, the better.

Anyone who actually thinks this is a throwback to the style of TOS is either drunk or doesn't know the first thing about Star Trek. It's the Die Another Day of the Star Trek franchise...a complete and utter misunderstanding of the source material. 

I'm glad this movie failed, and I hope they never make another Trek in the Abramsverse. I'm going to take a shower and then put in Deep Space Nine.

3 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

With the exception of me, the previous Star Trek movie (ST: Beyond) is somehow quite liked at JWfan, is it not? 

I liked the first two, but Beyond was mostly awful. For some reasons, it has apparently been well received especially by those who complained that there was too much Star Wars and not enough Trek in the first two movies of the new series. To me, Beyond was clearly the un-Trek-est of all Trek films. Not just a lack of Trek stuff, but a general anti-Trek sentiment. And people complain about The Final Frontier...

On 8/15/2018 at 4:53 PM, Disco Stu said:

I really liked Star Trek '09 and Into Darkness but once actual Star Wars movies started coming out again, I lost interest in New-Trek.

2 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

I really liked Star Trek '09 and Into Darkness but once actual Star Wars movies started coming out again, I lost interest in New-Trek.

Good! Star Wars scum should stay away from Trek!

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Good! Star Wars scum should stay away from Trek!

I like Star Trek Star Trek (the TV series with Spock/Picard/James Kirk) but the new Star Trek is more of a Star Wars substitute than one of those.

6 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

I like Star Trek Star Trek (the TV series with Spock/Picard/James Kirk) but the new Star Trek is more of a Star Wars substitute than one of those.

I’m way way more of a Trek fan than an SW fan and I agree with this.  Abrams made his Trek what it was because he never dreamed he’d get actual Star Wars, so he just made a very Star Warsian Trek.  Then he got actual SW and said forget that Roddenberry stuff

Just now, Stefancos said:

Star Trek is so much more than Kirk/Spock/Bones. Its a pity SW fans never seen to realize.

Agreed.  There's also Crusher/Riker/Troy (Riker's lover/wife).  And that episode where Wesley goes to a nudist planet and gets sentenced to death for falling into a flower bed.

36 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Explain anti-Trek sentiment?

I've mostly forgotten the film, but I seem to recall that it gave up typical Trek traits like compassion and a reliance on intelligence and cunning over pure force for standard modern action set pieces. I don't remember enough to compare my thoughts of the details now, but I remember mostly agreeing with Wil Wheaton's thoughts back when he posted them.

I will watch it again and reevaluate it at some point, when I can pick it up really cheaply. But I don't expect it to move up from its clear last place on my personal ranking of Trek films.

Also I’m not sure why a mod moved my post about Chris Pine to this thread.  The 4th Bad Robot Trek they’ve been planning is NOT the Tarantino Trek that’s also being talked about 

5 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Sigh.... TNG season 1. Get over it.

I've been slowly rewatching TNG on (the first time) Blu-ray. Very slowly made my way through S1, had a break watching some other stuff, then picked it up again and watched S2, which still has a lot of crap but actually some solid stuff that makes the season overall better than I'd remembered it. But now I'm at the end of the season, and for the past week or so I just haven't been able to bring myself to watch Shades of Gray.

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I liked the first two, but Beyond was mostly awful. For some reasons, it has apparently been well received especially by those who complained that there was too much Star Wars and not enough Trek in the first two movies of the new series. To me, Beyond was clearly the un-Trek-est of all Trek films. Not just a lack of Trek stuff, but a general anti-Trek sentiment. And people complain about The Final Frontier...

I'm glad more people than I thought didn't like it. Personally, it was impossible for me to watch the entire movie (it was almost like watching Stargate SG-1). My son felt exactly the same so it isn't because I'm too old. 

15 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

The problem is, because of the "sudden" third act plot twist, anything it was trying to tell before was rendered moot. 

What was that? I just remember Picard's takedown of the dude at the end.

That episode completely changed my perspective on AI...before that, I honestly sympathized with the Flesh Fair people in Spielberg's 2001 film. 

Also, I'm very fond of "Peak Performance" and the episode where Riker does the exchange thing on that Klingon ship. That said, Season 2 has the Irish episode and "Samaritan Snare", which might be the dumbest Star Trek episode I've ever seen.

41 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Also I’m not sure why a mod moved my post about Chris Pine to this thread.  The 4th Bad Robot Trek they’ve been planning is NOT the Tarantino Trek that’s also being talked about 

The system doesn't make mistakes, the system is never wrong. 

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

Peak Performance is an incredibly fun episode. And the true season 2 finale. Fuck Shades Of Grey!

Ha, I heard it was a clip show and just went to Season 3. I don't wake up in a cold sweat wondering what I missed out on in that episode.

5 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

The 4th Bad Robot Trek they’ve been planning is NOT the Tarantino Trek that’s also being talked about 

Wait, really?  I guess I didn't pay enough attention to the Tarantino stuff.  I absolutely thought he was in talks to direct the 4th entry in the Pine series.  You're saying it's not connected at all, and Paramount is planning on both continuing the Pine series AND having a unrelated Tarantino one come out?

30 minutes ago, Jay said:

Wait, really?  I guess I didn't pay enough attention to the Tarantino stuff.  I absolutely thought he was in talks to direct the 4th entry in the Pine series.  You're saying it's not connected at all, and Paramount is planning on both continuing the Pine series AND having a unrelated Tarantino one come out?

2067E58F-5D51-40EC-B061-42AA5F26DDD0.jpeg