Fourth Abramsverse Star Trek film

John

Huh. I had no idea that not only had a director been hired for the fourth reboot film, but that it was a woman too. Neat!

‘Star Trek 4’: S.J. Clarkson Becomes the First Female Director in Franchise’s History (EXCLUSIVE)

10 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

@Not Mr. Big  Not the “Star Trek Star Trek” bullshit.  TNG era is my era.

He included Picard in there, who is not in the original series, so I don't see what you are going on about.

6 hours ago, Jay said:

Huh. I had no idea that not only had a director been hired for the fourth reboot film, but that it was a woman too. Neat!

‘Star Trek 4’: S.J. Clarkson Becomes the First Female Director in Franchise’s History (EXCLUSIVE)

Neat, though the headline is incorrect.

Women have directed Star Trek before.

7 hours ago, Jay said:

Hollywood now has faith in women because of Patty 'Wonder Woman' Jenkins.

I'd say bring back truly talented woman like Julie Taymor!

4 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Hollywood now has faith in women because of Patty 'Wonder Woman' Jenkins.

I'd say bring back truly talented woman like Julie Taymor!

Julie Taymor's films, while visually striking, are mostly pretentious and overrated. And can often lack discipline and focus. She made a mess of Titus. Her best film was Frida, which is quite good.

The best movie ever directed by a woman was Point Break.

4 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Julie Taymor's films are mostly pretentious and overrated. She made a mess of Titus. He best film was Frida, which is actually quite good.

That honour goes to National Lampoon's European Vacation.

33 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Julie Taymor's films, while visually striking, are mostly pretentious and overrated. And can often lack discipline and focus. She made a mess of Titus. Her best film was Frida, which is quite good.

Point Break is not a movie that I care about but Frida, Titus and Across The Universe really impressed me. Taymor's films are mainly artist-centred, yet not excessively so, and that happens to be my favourite kind. 

I was actually going to post a shot from Riefenstahl's visual masterpiece in the best shots thread, but I was afraid of triggering one of the snowflakes here.

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Her Olympic film is a fantastic piece of visual artistry.

Spielberg and Scorcese have defended Rieffenstahl.

Sure.  Her talent is undeniable.  But it still annoys me when puerile little shits think it makes them intellectual to talk about.  It's a nuanced subject and to think including the necessary context of it being truly despicable propaganda is being over-sensitive is grandstanding bullshit.  Just like the stupid teens who think it makes them cool anti-authoritarians to read Mein Kampf.  Same juvenile "you can't tell me what to do" instinct.

Her work will always have to be discussed in this way, with major asterisks.  That's just how it is.

37 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Sure.  Her talent is undeniable.  But it still annoys me when puerile little shits think it makes them intellectual to talk about.  It's a nuanced subject and to think including the necessary context of it being truly despicable propaganda is being over-sensitive is grandstanding bullshit.  Just like the stupid teens who think it makes them cool anti-authoritarians to read Mein Kampf.  Same juvenile "you can't tell me what to do" instinct.

Her work will always have to be discussed in this way, with major asterisks.  That's just how it is.

I mostly agree...but let's be clear these are the same types who wear Che' t-shirts and spout off about Marx as if they understand him.  It's the same psuedo-intellecutual bullshit coming from two different (well, actually not so different) ideological viewpoints.

1 minute ago, Nick1066 said:

I mostly agree...but let's be clear these are the same types who wear Che' t-shirts and spout off about Marx as if they understand him.  It's the same psuedo-intellecutual bullshit coming from two different (well, actually not so different) ideological viewpoints.

Yup.  Dumbass, "speak no word of inconvenient context" communists are very annoying too!

1 hour ago, Richard said:

Whoa! Geez, guys, it's only a movie. It can't hurt anybody. 

Tell that to Goebbels!

Triumph of the Will is overrated anyway.  Some people just feel all cool and dramatic talking like John Hurt in the first Potter.

14 hours ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

Tall, blonde, blue eyed dudes... they're interchangeable.

Correct.  It is universally known they are all interchangeable.

• 4 months later...

JFC i didn't post anything recently in this thread  clearly some dark aspergers obssesive compulsion is at work

8 hours ago, Richard said:

Is that official? I guess that without Pine or Hemsworth, it could never happen. What is the planned alternative? I hear that God's not doing much, at the moment. 

They both didn't come to an agreement and probably had other projects on the go. It's s shame because I think it could've been a chance for them to make this film as a conclusion to the Kelvin Timeline, especially with the time travel plot to mirror the first film. 

8 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

It is worthy of being staked in the heart

No more of that embarrassing MG score.

oZQn3g.gif