Fourth Abramsverse Star Trek film

John

Bruce your attachments are still enormous in file size and take forever to fill in. Can you figure out what you are doing wrong and fix it? It seems like you are taking uncompressed screenshots and not doing any compression before uploading or something

7 hours ago, Jay said:

Bruce your attachments are still enormous in file size and take forever to fill in. Can you figure out what you are doing wrong and fix it? It seems like you are taking uncompressed screenshots and not doing any compression before uploading or something

How do you compress them?

Are the photos I post also a problem- like the Ron Cobb pics?

The one above I copied from this site, like you asked.

The bird picture at the top of this page is a huge 600KB PNG file.  I did a quick conversion to JPG and got a 124KB file that looks identical.

The John Cleese pic you posted a bit up is an ABSURD 2MB PNG file.  I did a quick conversion to JPG and got a 440KB file that looks identical.

I don't know what you're doing, and I don't have the time to be your tech support.  I've been using this forum software for 18 years and read basically everyone's posts, and nobody else ever attaches massive images unless it is a special occasion, like they met John Williams or something.

Everybody else embeds a picture that is actually hosted elsewhere, or directly uploads the occasional picture that is of normal, web-standard size.

Literally no one does or has ever done what you do here

Picking some file size number and using that as your goal isn't the point, the point is you are attaching massive uncompressed PNGs.  Start saving your stupid pictures as JPGs instead and don't repost the same ones as fresh attachments over and over again or you lose your attachment privileges

Im not trying to cause problems.

Im not an expert.

You previously said " keep it under 1 mg."

Maybe someone here can pm me on how to do it properly.

I thought it was ok to copy and paste pics I already uploaded.

That image is still a fresh attachment and still an uncompressed PNG file, not a re-use of a previous upload like I suggested

EDIT: and now you've removed the image this post was a comment on and replaced it with a bunch of words that weren't there when I first replied....

I never said you were trying to cause problems, nor that you were a tech expert.

I never set a line in the sand and said anything over such and such size was bad, but anything under such and such size was good.

I did use 1MB as an example of the absurd attachments you bring to this board that nobody else ever does, because they are simple pictures that should be a 10th of that size

About the copy/paste thing, I said you should copy and paste the URL of a picture you already uploaded to our servers once if you want to repost the same image later; copying and pasting the picture itself results in a a fresh attachment, which is what you need to avoid.  I've already explained this to you before.

I'm consulting my ' personal asst.'

😊

Fwiw

I post on a site that uses the EXACT template as here.

Nobody complained

?

Same with FB.

Im learning new things all the time....like the SUPERMAN main title switch!😁

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Picking some file size number and using that as your goal isn't the point, the point is you are attaching massive uncompressed PNGs.  Start saving your stupid pictures as JPGs instead and don't repost the same ones as fresh attachments over and over again or you lose your attachment priviledges

You may want to edit that elephant sized spelling mistake. 

4 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

How did I do?

Much better, that is only 43KB!

Again I will say that it is obvious that you are posting screenshots of your phone though, instead of the raw picture as it exists.  I don't know why anybody would do this.

Do you still want me to cut and past URL of pics I've already posted?

Yes please

or can I dowload jpegs even if I've already used it- since its so much smaller?

Download?  Do you mean upload?  Nothing has changed in that regard.  We can't have you taking up space on our servers with endless copies of the same images over and over again as fresh attachments.  Host them on an outside server and link from there, or re-use the first URL of a new image.  I've already asked you to do this months ago and nothing has changed

I will miss Zachary Quinto's Spock and Karl Urban's Bones but otherwise not a huge loss. The three films they did were "fun" but hardly great or essential. They had very little to do with Star Trek really.

Karol

• 3 years later...