Yo-Yo Ma about John Williams

TownerFan

He wrote a piece that’s a concert piece dedicated to a mother whose husband murdered her two children. 

Yikes! The liner notes only state "tragic circumstances", but I didn't realize it was that dramatic. Regardless, the Elegy is one of my top 3 JW concert pieces.

23 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yikes! The liner notes only state "tragic circumstances", but I didn't realize it was that dramatic. Regardless, the Elegy is one of my top 3 JW concert pieces.

Yeah, I did a double take there.

Yo-Yo Ma is super-lucid in this interview!

1 hour ago, Richard said:

Sycophantic BS.

He's a close friend, for crying out loud; you'd hardly expect to call him a talentless c**t.

When will "celebrities" (whatever the hell that means) ever get their tongues out of other people's asses?

Maybe their friends because of their artistic partnership?  Its like Nick says man.  Sure Yo-Yo Ma's being effusive with his praise, but let's face it:  Williams, weaknesses notwithstanding, is one of the great composers, and one of the last ones living.  Plenty to get effusive about.

Very true!  But I think it will be some time before we have some generally acknowledged legends among us like Williams, Morricone, Adams, and Part.

I'm not against mutual respect for people's talents, but I've seen, read, and heard far too many fawning interviews, where the backslapping is so hard, it rips the skin. What I'd really like see is a critique of someone's talents, by way of balance. It's as if no-one is afraid to even suggest any form of criticism, these days. Are we all scared stiff? Are we afraid of litigation?

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Why did he include the word celebrities in quotes like he wasn’t the one who introduced it to the current conversation

"he"? Meaning me? 

That sentence makes absolutely no sense, whatsoever. Stu, I know you're American, but could you try, at least, to make it readable? Is there meant to be a question mark, at the end?

54 minutes ago, Richard said:

I'm not against mutual respect for people's talents, but I've seen, read, and heard far too many fawning interviews, where the backslapping is so hard, it rips the skin. What I'd really like see is a critique of someone's talents, by way of balance. It's as if no-one is afraid to even suggest any form of criticism, these days. Are we all scared stiff? Are we afraid of litigation?

"he"? Meaning me? 

That sentence makes absolutely no sense, whatsoever. Stu, I know you're American, but could you try, at least, to make it readable? Is there meant to be a question mark, at the end?

1. I understand and agree with your intrinsic point, but is that really relevant in this case? Are we so cynical that we can't see two friends with a profound artistic partnership spanning 20+ years discuss the joys of their collaborations without dismissing it as celebrity brown-nosing or ass-kissing (or tonguing)?

2. Cute American jab, but the sentence made complete sense to me. Perhaps you could try to comprehend the possible rhetoric behind his post? 

On 8/21/2018 at 1:42 PM, Richard said:

• 5 months later...

Ma talks more about Williams (and Morricone) here in this pretty recent interview:

He says that Morricone is probably one of the most inspired melodists.