SCHINDLER'S LIST 25th Anniversary Edition from La-La Land Records

Jay

I'm more interested in that "Dolby Cinema" for now. I hope that means a 4K Blu-ray with Dolby Vision is on the way as well. I don't think there's any B&W movie released in 4K yet, let alone in Dolby Vision or any HDR format. And SL with that beautiful B&W cinematography by Janusz Kaminski...

The film has been also remixed in 7.1 audio, as Spielberg says in this interview:

https://ew.com/movies/2018/08/29/schindlers-list-returning-theaters-25th-anniversary/

It’s likely the score tapes have been remastered, so it’s safe to assume LLL new release (surely produced by Matessino) will be something along the lines of the their new Saving Private Ryan release, i.e. OST program + a handful of bonus tracks.

5 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

It’s likely the score tapes have been remastered, so it’s safe to assume LLL new release (surely produced by Matessino) will be something along the lines of the their new Saving Private Ryan release, i.e. OST program + a handful of bonus tracks.

It's what we expected for this score no?

It does the job for me!

I'm happy for two reasons: many people who wanted an expansion for a long time will be happy, and another item I won't think twice about not getting comes off of the "one for the books" list.

6 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

The film has been also remixed in 7.1 audio, as Spielberg says in this interview:

https://ew.com/movies/2018/08/29/schindlers-list-returning-theaters-25th-anniversary/

... which should include the earlier versions of some cues (Schindler's List Workforce was altered several times), some inserts and other stuff that was not on the OST. Instant-buy for me!!

Wonderful news!!

The OST program is a beautiful presentation of the score, so I’m happy if it will be preserved. However, whatever the assembly is gonna be, I’m sure Matessino and JW put a lot of care in this one.

1 minute ago, TownerFan said:

The OST program is a beautiful presentation of the score, so I’m happy if it will be preserved. However, whatever the assembly is gonna be, I’m sure Matessino and JW put a lot of care in this one.

Hey, maybe we'll get a 2CD presentation with the film version on disc 1 and OST on disc 2? Who knows.

Karol

Just now, bollemanneke said:

Instant buy for me as well, though the love people are suddenly showing for OSTs is... curious.

It's just that both SPR and Schindler's List were already "almost complete" on OST, which does not apply to most of the other JW releases. 

True, but they are also celebrating their 20th and 25th anniversaries this year so if you're going to release them it has to be this year. If I were running a label like LLL this is exactly the thing I'd do.

Karol

I hope we'll finally have I Could Have Done More film version!

1 minute ago, bollemanneke said:

And that's exactly what kills the SPR OST for me as well. You cannot have the hymn before the story, and certainly not twice either.

Completely agree.   I always begin listening with Revisiting Normandy, and only listen to Hymm To The Fallen at the end.

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

For one, I have no need for non-Williams pieces (OYF'N Pripetshok & Yeroushalaim Chel Zahav) in the middle of my nice Williams score.

Was the Yeroushalaim Chel Zahav arranged by Williams? Anyway I think both pieces add to the whole experience. Or perhaps I am so used to them by now in the programme I think they are integral part of the whole now. :) 

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Completely agree.   I always begin listening with Revisiting Normandy, and only listen to Hymm To The Fallen at the end.

Ditto. I omitted the opening track from my playlist so the hymn is the natural conclusion of the score.

With Schindler's List I see the album almost as a concept album type of affair even though it contains a lot of the actual film score. The OST makes for such a lovely listening experience on its own.

10 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Wasn't that version of  Yeroushalaim Chel Zahav arranged by Williams but they opted to go for the different version from 

The version of Yeroushalaim Chel Zahav in the film itself is the same as the version on the Pour Sacha OST album from 1992:

Pour_Sacha_COL468428.jpg

http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/title/6543/

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00008FX4T

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GKR8A4/

I guess the version on the OST album was recorded by Williams, but I'm not a big fan of either version really.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

The version of Yeroushalaim Chel Zahav in the film itself is the same as the version on this CD:

Pour_Sacha_COL468428.jpg

http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/title/6543/

I guess the version on the OST album was recorded by Williams, but I'm not a big fan of either version really.

Ah I completely forgot the name of the film from which it was taken from. Cheer Jay!

Oyf’n Pripetshok is the exact same situation, BTW.  The version in the film itself is the same as the version on the Billy Bathgate OST album from 1991:

Billy_Bathgate_Milan_262_495.jpg

http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/title/5622/

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000008DH9

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AXLWIIW/

While I guess the OST album version was recorded by Williams, but I don't really like either version.

So besides the I Could Have Done More film version, a 50-second bass drum cue, one recorder version of the main theme and tons of source music arranged by Angela Morley and John Neufeld, is there anything missing from the OST?

Oh sure, there's plenty of interesting alternate material that you can hear in the 4CD recording sessions leak like

• 2M2B (drum beat / march overlay)
  • much longer version of / different sections to Schindler's Workforce (2M3/3M1 The Money Exchange and 3M1B Recruiting)
  • 5M2 The Luggage Scene without choir (first part of Stolen Memories)
  • 7M2/8M1 Nacht Aktion with clarinet reverb
  • 10M1 The Perlman Family with a completely different guitar performance (second part of Stolen Memories)
  • 14M2 The Burial Scene without choir (Immolation)
  • 15M2/16M1 Typing The List (Making The List) has some differences among all the takes there IIRC
  • 19M2/20M1 I Could Have Saved More (I Could Have Done More) has a bunch of differences too (but not the insert used in the film)
  • A bunch of differences as they were working out 20M4 End Credits (Remembrances) including a version with a flute solo, etc
  • Recorder Theme, whatever it was (maybe an option for the End Credits?)

And the leak isn't even complete (since it doesn't contain the final film version insert for 19M2/20M1 I Could Have Saved More), so who knows what other alternate takes or unused cues or whatever else could still be in the vaults that never leaked

If it will be a single disc release like SPR there will probably just be a few pieces Williams might have deemed worthy to include as bonus tracks. There is little under 15 minutes of disc space left after the OST programme. But luckily there isn't much missing. And I don't think JW would include those pieces without the choir overlays since they were never meant to be used that way anywhere. Unless Matessino can sway him somehow.

Especially when you consider some of the alternate takes that leaked out where never meant to be heard by anyone, just early and sometimes incomplete takes as they worked on getting the final version of the cue they wanted.

The only real score music in film that is not on the OST is the full Money Exchange and Recruiting cues (Schindler's Workforce), and the film version insert for I Could Have Saved More.  It's interesting how often Spielberg has Williams tweak strings at a pivotal moment towards the end of his films!

I think the cues without choir appearing in the sessions leak appear that way only because the choir was recorded later. I don't think they were ever meant to be played without choir, so there would not be any reason to include them. The most interesting additions would be the alternate performance of 10M1, the various versions of the End Credits and the alternate versions of Schindler's Workforce.

EDIT: written at the same time as the posts by you and Incanus.

I can't recall offhand if Williams has ever approved a choir-free version of a cue for a specialty label CD

I like the album presentation of the OST as it is. I think if its being remastered then it should be as disc 1 and Disc 2 should be the archival film score in its proper chronological presentation with the alternates closing the album. What ever the arrangements I will trust Matessino's judgement on this as usual. Look real forward to it.

So its coming out in December as a tie in to the theatrical release? I'm surprised they announced it this early.

16 minutes ago, Amer said:

So its coming out in December as a tie in to the theatrical release?

No release date is indicated at all, just that it is "forthcoming".

The leaked recording sessions are spread over 4 CDs, totalling about 4h30mins. But that's because all the takes that comprised a specific cue are there. Many years ago someone shared an edited version of the leaked sessions. I have no idea if the right takes were used for each cue and if only the music presented in those sessions were used, since I'm not very intimate with the score (I believe I read here that SL was recorded on two different recording studios, and the sessions from one of those studios are the ones that leaked, though it does have the majority of the music recorded). That edited version, with alternates, is 2h27mins long. Anyway, here's the tracklist.

Sem título.png

I don't expect much alternates on the new CD... I think it will be a rather "mainstream" (or general public) expanded CD... 2-3 bonus tracks... not more... just enough to justify the Anniversary reissue, not more.

2 hours ago, phbart said:

I have no idea if the right takes were used for each cue 

I also have no idea if anyone ever compared the OST takes to the film takes for all the cues.  Other than the obvious differences ("The Money Exchange", "Recruiting", and "I Could Have Saved  More"), the rest SOUNDs the same between album and OST (other than, of course, the non-Williams source pieces on the OST as pointed out above).

27 minutes ago, Jay said:

No release date is indicated at all, just that it is "forthcoming".

Ok. I hope it comes early. But I suppose if the movie is coming out in December the this  CD set should be 'basically' in that time frame.

Ok Update from MV on Facebook :

"Deeply honored to be part of the 25th Anniversary release of this landmark film and it's score... 

Expanded and remastered 2 cd edition and Vinyl coming from La-La Land Records December 2018" 

Well, LLL only has AT MOST 7 release dates left this year - 2 in September, 2 in October, 2 in November, and then Black Friday.  And they can always drop any of those off if things aren't ready.

I think the only time they've released something after Black Friday but before Jan 1 was for current in-theater films - Jack Reacher in 2012 and Krampus in 2015

This year, Black Friday is Friday, November 30th, so the titles would release Tuesday, December 4th.  With the theatrical re-release happening Friday, December 7th, that seems most likely to me.