SCHINDLER'S LIST 25th Anniversary Edition from La-La Land Records

Jay

But Schindler's Workforce (The Money Exchange) opens with a nice presentation of the Main Theme, anyway, so it has the same effect.

"Placing The Stones" is not a typical score cue.  Williams was not scoring onscreen action with this part of the movie, he was scoring a montage where he had an opportunity to put a big concert arrangement-style version of the Main Theme there that didn't need to adhere to specific onscreen visuals.  Rarely is there an opportunity to do something like this outside of a Main or End Title credit sequence.  And Williams will typically open his albums with a rendition of theme either in the form of a big Main Title statement or as a concert arrangement.  So I would bet that Williams intended/knew that "Placing The Stones" would be equivalent to the Main Theme concert arrangement.

A lot of the shocking imagery and brutality that is in the movie is not represented in a listening experience of the score because Williams and Spielberg left a lot of that unscored.  So, hearing the Main Theme at that point in the movie makes sense given the three hours of visuals that preceded it.

But hearing it at the end of a straight musical listening experience wouldn't work for me because the music itself never gets as harsh as the imagery in the movie does.  The music is not horrific, it is in reaction to the horror.  (Didn't Spielberg say something like in the liner notes?)  So, I like the OST presentation of bookending it with the two different versions of the theme.  Opening with the beautiful full statement of the theme and closing with a somber and reflective version.

I read somewhere that the music in Schindler's List was less of a traditional film score and more like the chorus in Greek drama.  We hear John commenting on the action, or rather, what is behind the action, in a musical language.  

To be clear, I don't think Williams made a poor assembly decision when creating his OST program - it makes perfect sense to open it with that cue, and is VERY typical of how he crafts his OST albums.

It's really just my own personal preference to only hear it at the end, and I don't expect everyone to agree with me or anything.

12 hours ago, TownerFan said:

Speaking of puzzling credit, I just saw that the OST booklet says that the score was recorded both in Symphony Hall Boston and at Sony Pictures Scoring Stage in Culver City, LA. I assumed the whole score was recorded in Boston (and choir in Toronto), but I didn't know about parts being recorded in LA.

The LA tracks will of course sound oddly distorted on the 2CD release.

SL for me works as the first Williams/Spielberg collaboration where the music isn't exactly part of the narration, a character, like it was in all of their previous collaborations. It's more like the music is "detached" from the film, a separate entity. So I sort of understand how difficult it can be to assemble an album or an expanded C&C of this.

5 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

The LA tracks will of course sound oddly distorted on the 2CD release.

To be "fixed" by "newly discovered sources" in time for the 30th!

JWFan: Eh, I don't know if I would want to double dip on this. Cool for those who missed out on the 25th anniversary release.

*Becomes available to order on lalaland.com*

JWFan: Ordered!

6 minutes ago, Falafel said:

From what I have seen, most JWfan members who are not interested in a release rarely change their mind.

You must've stayed away from the Saving Private Ryan release thread!

There is a difference between "not interested" vs. "unsure"

For example Wojism seems to stick to his guns on only buying things that are actual grails for him, and skipping things he has little to no interest in.

5 minutes ago, Falafel said:

For example Wojism seems to stick to his guns on only buying things that are actual grails for him, and skipping things he has little to no interest in.

Because he's a true JWFan rebel, a legend!

5 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Because he's a true JWFan rebel, a legend!

The rest of us are all sell-outs who will buy everything and all with John Williams stamped on it! And we are proud of it! Such scoundrels and scamps!

5 hours ago, Falafel said:

I don't see why anyone would buy something they have no interest in.

We support Mike Matessino, he's one of the top (if not the top) of the sound engineers of it's generation and he's a true great artist.

51 minutes ago, Bespin said:

We support Mike Matessino, he's one of the top (if not the top) of the sound engineers of it's generation and he's a true great artist.

And because of that you would buy something you have no interest in?

16 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

And because of that you would buy something you have no interest in?

You don't have too.

But, talking about me, it's my pleasure to "encourage" artists that have to be encouraged, you know the "top of the top". There are so much mediocrity in our world, and in the musical domain too.  Give a little "thumps up" by buying quality produced albums is my way to say "Thanks"... it's my way to create a better world, finally.

The specialty labels are known for torturing fans psychologically who don't buy all their releases. They manage keep those people hostages in the darkest and stinkiest places of theiir minds, with depravation of reason and moral starvation.

3 minutes ago, Bespin said:

You don't have too.

But, talking about me, it's my pleasure to "encourage" artists that have to be encouraged, you know the "top of the top". There are so much mediocrity in our world, and in the musical domain too.  Give a little "thumps up" by buying quality produced albums is my way to say "Thanks"... to create a better world, finally.

It's not like JW's a poor musician that needs encouragement.

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It's not like JW's a poor musician that needs encouragement.

We need encouragement... and money.... at every age!

Shall you live long enough to understand that!

(you know, by "encouraging" artists, I meant to encourage Mike Matessino, he's a leader, he's a king, he's a God, what else?)

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Some people seem to buy stuff to "support the label".

Exactly! The rationalizations people generate after they realize they've been pulled along the scarcity mentality like a kid in a whirlpool!

38 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Exactly! The rationalizations people generate after they realize they've been pulled along the scarcity mentality like a kid in a whirlpool!

There's not a single John Williams expansion I regret buying.

- Disco Stu, a guy who doesn't own the LLL Hook ;)