'Hooten Plays Williams' - New recording of John Williams' Trumpet Concerto now available

Miguel Andrade

• 2 weeks later...

How were you able to do that? 😉

I cannot wait to get the package in the mail. It should be any day now, right?

Also, is there a high resolution picture of the cover by any chance?

Will this release be available on CD at some point to non-funders?

On 2/7/2019 at 4:48 PM, Miguel Andrade said:

Also got the nice thank you note on the mail, earlier this week. Looking forward to the CD.

Since if I remember correctly the Kickstarter project originally notified that they do not ship this CD outside the US, I assume you have someone who can send it to you from the America?

4 hours ago, Incanus said:

Since if I remember correctly the Kickstarter project originally notified that they do not ship this CD outside the US, I assume you have someone who can send it to you from the America?

I asked that question to Tom on FB and he mentioned CDs will be available. Probably from his website. He'll post a link when they're available.

26 minutes ago, ricsim88 said:

I asked that question to Tom on FB and he mentioned CDs will be available. Probably from his website. He'll post a link when they're available.

Oh excellent! I'll certainly order one.

On 2/22/2019 at 7:51 AM, Incanus said:

I asked before I backed the project and he told me he would find a way to send it overseas.

• 2 weeks later...

WOW I’ve never heard this new version of the Trumpet Concerto before! It is simply amazing! And Born on the Fourth of July as bonus? My favorite JW recording purchase of the year! I doubt Star Wars IX is going to top this one for me! 

Going to spend the rest of the day having this on repeat! 

Bye! 😊🎉

I just purchased the CD from Mr. Hooten's website. Excited to give it a listen. 

Terrific recording of one of my very favorite concertos! Interestingly, they decided to use the new first movement concert ending JW wrote a couple years back for Hooten's performance of just the first movement with the Marine Band:

Also, I'd forgotten how gorgeous the slow movement is (often I just end up focusing on the first and last ones because they're so fun):

Those string harmonies... :love2:

One thing I particularly love about this recording is the more pronounced timpani in the mix here:

In the previous two recordings you could barely hear the timpani there, yet they give the piece so much power. 

Very much enjoyed it Maurizio. As an orchestral trumpet player myself, it was really great information coming from one of the best in the business.

Thanks again for putting those podcasts out there.

Me too.  Just got mine today and listened to it, and was thoroughly impressed.   Maaaaaaaybe prefer the Sandoval for the third movement, but if so only barely; and Hooten's first two are preferable.

6 hours ago, Incanus said:

In the Born on the Fourth of July Williams seems to be deliberately giving it overall a slower reading with slightly less rhythmic edge than the Boston Pops version from early 1990's. Hooten's solos are beautiful and equally beautifully recorded. His sound and playing has such immediacy (Yo-Yo Ma comes to mind with similar striking connection to the listener through his instrument) that it just goes right through you and into your soul.

Hooten mentions in his IndyCast and Legacy of John Williams interviews (both excellent!!) that he and Williams discussed taking the piece at a more leisurely pace, compared to the OST.

5 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Williams seems to have forgotten he recorded it once before with the Boston Pops, LOL

Yes, sadly.  That might have been one of the reasons it was chosen to fill out the EP a bit more.  I'm not complaining, though, as I absolutely love the piece and Hooten's performance/recording!

28 minutes ago, thx99 said:

Yes, sadly.  That might have been one of the reasons it was chosen to fill out the EP a bit more.  

Music From Stage And Screen was released in 1994, so I can't blame Williams for forgetting. And the BOT4OJ theme hasnt been recorded a lot, so it's very welcome indeed.

No, please change it to at the very least include Hooten's name. Otherwise, it's a hassle searching for at a later date.

5 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Williams seems to have forgotten he recorded it once before with the Boston Pops, LOL

I hear small changes to the suite as well. E.g. the little harp flourish at the end of the piece has been omitted. I always thought it was such a nice little touch orchestrationally.

44 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I guess Hooten had to cut the harp for financial reasons.

Well, there was a harpist (Joann Turovsky) for the Trumpet Concerto...