Bit-take: Julius Caesar (Excalibur Recording)

Faleel

11 hours ago, Falafel said:

All in all another good score by Rozsa, but one that doesn't really feel like it quite gets a chance to develop and expand much even at a length of almost an hour due to relying mostly on only the Brutus and Caesar themes and featuring few source cues, however this still remains a recommended listen for Rozsa fans just on the strength of the Overture and Prelude alone.

I come to bury Golden Age scores, not praise them!

Would you suggest that a Suite would do all the score needs to?

I just happened to listen to this suite a few days ago and loved it.  Now want to hear the whole score.  It's very good Rozsa.  The suite I heard was conducted by Bernard Herrmann on an excellent Phase 4 recording.

https://www.amazon.com/Great-Shakespeare-Films-Cinema-Gala/dp/B0051U854W

I love the Intrada re-recording. My first Rózsa score that actually got me hooked on the composer and I still go back to it frequently but I have never heard the original recording. How is the quality of the original tracks on the FSM release?

14 hours ago, Incanus said:

How is the quality of the original tracks on the FSM release?

Majority of the tracks are mono, but about the same quality as the Rhino Ivanhoe I think.

14 hours ago, Incanus said:

I love the Intrada re-recording. My first Rózsa score that actually got me hooked on the composer and I still go back to it frequently but I have never heard the original recording. How is the quality of the original tracks on the FSM release?

They sound very good, but as noted they are in mono. For some people that's a dealbreaker, for some reason. You can hear samples of every track here (albeit lossy MP3; they still give you a decent idea of the sound):

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/cds/detail.cfm/CDID/299/Julius-Caesar/

Be sure you click on the track *times* -- if you click on the few highlighted *titles*, it will try to play the full tracks in RealAudio format (which even if it still works on your computer, won't sound nearly as good).

Yavar

Also, given the prestige of re-recording the old MGM tracks are really only a pastime for very dedicated fans. There's so much music you can discover, hogging multiple versions of the same stuff, endlessly comparing fine print etc. - i never understood it (but hey, who am i kidding here on StarWars.com?)