Are There Any Scores That You Hate?

cordax

• 5 months later...

I'm indifferent to most scores, but I remember that I really disliked the score of Gladiator when I first saw the movie. It added nothing to what we already knew from the images.

Not a lot, hate is such a strong word. But many of Giacchino, and a great deal of Desplat trigger that kind of emotion in me.

Ludvig Göransson is the new "kid on the block" in terms of massively overrated Hollywood composers, but he hasn't reached the kind of vile feelings I have for Giacchino yet. Desplat at least has a handful of wonderful scores (GIRL IN THE PEARL EARRING, THE PAINTED VEIL, L'ENNEMI INTIME etc.), so I only hate him 'moderately' compared to MG.

I'll never forget the moment I was introduced to MG's sister at the Krakow film music festival a few years ago, not knowing who it was. My heart jumped as I -- for one second -- thought maybe she had read some of my disparaging remarks about her brother's work online. Fortunately and expectedly, she had no clue who I was. Phew! :)

6 hours ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

That’s not white noise, this is!

Don't play on my sympathies!

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Ludvig Göransson is the new "kid on the block" in terms of massively overrated Hollywood composers

As someone who shares many of your feelings on the likes of Giacchino, I've really been won over by Goransson's up-and-coming skills. His language has a certain richness to it that I'm really curious to hear develop as his career develops...I wonder if I would've said the same things about Williams in his early years (a lot of whose music at the time still had a certain stiffness to it, in my ears).

5 hours ago, Trent B said:

If you mean all three then that's a shame.  I think they're fun scores with Star Trek Beyond being the best one.

This! Not superior to Goldsmith's work, but not at all for the trashbin.

I always thought Heartbeeps was such a funny score, and so kind of out of nowhere for so many reasons. I don't think it's bad..... just kind of weird. One piece that I deplore though is "America the dream goes on". I absolutely hate that piece, it's so artificial and tacky to me.

The Long Goodbye was always kind of had a weird melody to me, maybe because it sounds uncharacteristic of Williams.

I also loath the score for Jurassic World. It's just..... bad on every level.

8 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

I hate no score on it's own, no matter how boring (boredom) or boring (blunt damage) it is. I can get away from it.

I hate overpraise though. It jumps at me when I do not expect it. And it tends to do so repeatedly.

1. HTTYDs' blunt and artificial scores, while roughly serviceable in the films themselves, were expected by me to go completely unnoticed by the very experienced ears at JWFan. Instead people go bananas en masse. Have they all run out of things to listen to? I cannot imagine the point at which I would be bored enough to listen to this... SOLO is a slightly different story: I consider it decent, if rowing in place because melodically it cannot get any traction other than with randomly placed copied Williams moments as crutches. The poll with everyone apparently having bought it on the other hand...

2. Desplat is fine and prolific, but leaves me cold. Not a problem unless he gets worshipped like a genius.

And they love Michael Giacchino here too!

6 hours ago, Fabulin said:

I hate no score on it's own, no matter how boring (boredom) or boring (blunt damage) it is. I can get away from it.

I agree and I thank the gods it's not like contemporary charts music, which literally makes me sick most of the times. 

2 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

I agree and I thank the gods it's not like contemporary charts music, which literally makes me sick most of the times. 

It's because it's too loud and has no dynamic range.