ACROSS THE STARS - Williams / Mutter collaboration album

WilliamsStarShip2282

I would've thought JW has a personal driver anyway? Very impressed if he's still driving himself, especially around LA of all cities (can't say driving in LA was one of my most enjoyable life experiences...)

Updated list of pieces mentioned for the project. That's 12 or 13, so two or three are unknown.

Dracula

Cinderella Liberty

Memories of A Geisha: Sayuri's Theme

Memoirs Of A Geisha: The Chairman's Waltz

Schindler's List 

Tintin (I'm assuming The Duel)

Harry Potter: Hedwig's Theme

Munich (Her hashtag may refer to the city, not the score)

Across The Stars

Luke & Leia

Rey's Theme

Princes Leia's Theme

Yoda's Theme (Arranged by Ann-Sophie Mutter)

9 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

Is there a release date for the CD? I’d like to know when it will be released on iTunes.

I think we have to wait until September, but I'm not certain of that.

And here are the hashtags from her recent post. Each Star Wars film is mentioned if that means anything. Anakin's Theme, too perhaps and pieces from Revenge of the Sith and The Last Jedi maybe? I sure hope Han Solo and the Princess is on the set list.

Hashtags.png

38 minutes ago, artguy360 said:

I'm excited for each of these new arrangements.

Ditto!

4 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

Is there a release date for the CD? I’d like to know when it will be released on iTunes.

This just mentions 2019:
https://www.anne-sophie-mutter.de/en/page/projects/across-the-stars-musik-von-john-williams/

It also mentions the score to Munich, but it's preceeded by an "or". That's odd. 

In collaboration with her exclusive record label Deutsche Grammophon she devotes her new album ACROSS THE STARS to the memorable Oscar and Grammy Award-winning melodies by John Williams from Star Wars, Schindler’s List, Memoirs of a Geisha or Munich.

It means Williams only scored one of those films and William Ross scored the rest. 

Seriously though, a new arrangement of Rey's Theme for violin?! Hell yes! Seems JW is just getting started developing that theme. 

13 hours ago, TownerFan said:

Gloria Cheng posted a picture on her Facebook profile yesterday with JW and ASM. He performed accompanying piano for ASM at JW's studio at Amblin (Spielberg dropped by and posed for the pic too!).

In the comments, Gloria said the album will be recorded in LA in a couple of weeks. She also said it's "20 new arrangements" (even though Mutter wrote about "15 new children").

Awesome!

8 hours ago, rough cut said:

This just keeps getting better and better!

Indeed! Can’t wait to hear the finished product!

Someone correct if I'm wrong but Spielberg's offices are located at Universal Studios as part of an agreement for his productions to be a part of Universal Studios Theme Park. If I remember correctly he agreement included big revenues and that Spielberg's office would remain at Universal.

On 3/22/2019 at 7:45 PM, TownerFan said:

Gloria Cheng posted a picture on her Facebook profile yesterday with JW and ASM. He performed accompanying piano for ASM at JW's studio at Amblin (Spielberg dropped by and posed for the pic too!).

In the comments, Gloria said the album will be recorded in LA in a couple of weeks. She also said it's "20 new arrangements" (even though Mutter wrote about "15 new children").

20 arrangements? I need a WOW button! What an exciting collection of JW themes! 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Liberty

I've never heard anything from that score. Should be fun hearing a modern arrangement of something he wrote decades ago that I'm not familiar with.

Glad to see Williams is taking his arranger skills to a new arena: cakes! And a good choice: Schwarzwald cake is delicious! 

Oh and wonderful that Mutter recorded Markings with Williams! Hopefully they will release it sooner rather than later!

This year apparently:

After the success of The Club Album, one of Anne-Sophie Mutter’s long-cherished dreams comes true: In collaboration with her exclusive record label Deutsche Grammophon she devotes her new album ACROSS THE STARS to the memorable Oscar and Grammy Award-winning melodies by John Williams from Star Wars, Schindler’s List, Memoirs of a Geisha or Munich. The album, which will be released in 2019, also forms the basis for this very special concert.

I’m excited about this but there’s a bit too much Star Wars. I could do without Luke & Leia (I never cared for this theme) and Yoda tbh but aside from that it looks good!

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Tabling the fact that this is nuts, you have to admit the old-fashioned, drippingly romantic nature of the piece is perfect for a solo violin with orchestra arrangement!

I can see why it was chosen but I just don’t care for it. Never have. One of my least favorite Star Wars themes. 

Hmmm, it might actually be the only one. 

It might have a lot to do with the sound of RotJ in general. Maybe a solo violin arrangement would make it more agreeable to me!