ACROSS THE STARS - Williams / Mutter collaboration album

WilliamsStarShip2282

23 hours ago, Bayesian said:

Well, don’t forget his name already accompanied the DG logo this past January... and in 2001 for Treesong.

And DG recording of his symphonietta for wind instruments, back on ...1970 !!!

Just now, pro-arte said:

An DG recording of his symphonietta for wind instruments, back on ...1970 !!!

So hard to get... i think it’s not even on iTunes.

Is "Across the Stars" the name of the album, or just the first piece we heard about? 

Basically wondering if I should update the thread title. 

5 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

What's happened here is we've gotten actual new Potter music from Williams in 2019, that's what's happened.

I was already excited enough just getting “new” unreleased/unheard Potter stuff in 2018. The fact that he’s actually written new variations here is too much, and still a little more on Hedwig to come!

It’s actually a little overwhelming to remember he’s reworking his whole career with this thing...it’s not like there were ever gonna be sequels to hear him back on Dracula, Schindler, Memoirs. 

2 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

It’s actually a little overwhelming to remember he’s reworking his whole career with this thing...it’s not like there were ever gonna be sequels to hear him back on Dracula, Schindler, Memoirs. 

And freakin' Cinderella Liberty!!! Nobody could have predicted that he would be revisiting Cinderella Liberty in 2019.  Too obscure even for Lockhart!

The one I'm most excited to hear is the new Rey's Theme arrangement.  I hope it lives up to my expectations...

17 minutes ago, Jay said:

Is "Across the Stars" the name of the album, or just the first piece we heard about? 

Basically wondering if I should update the thread title. 

I think it’s what she’s calling her tour, right? I don’t know if that will extend to the album.

31 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

it’s not like there were ever gonna be sequels to hear him back on Dracula, Schindler, Memoirs. 

I'm still hoping for that Schindler's sequel!

Yea I liked the Nimbus section of this arrangement too!

And nice discovery that this is a short version, and a part of the full length version is in that promo video.  I can't wait to hear this whole (double?) album!

54 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's actually the name of the concert program. The press release doesn't mention any title (or any album for that matter, just "recording project"), so I guess we'll know the actual title on June 14.

I just bought the single on iTunes and listened to it. I expected nothing less from the Maestro. I am still blown away, though. I cannot wait to here the entire album upon release.

Finally heard it. Its beyond marvellous. What energy and synergy. Absolutely beautiful and riveting performance and Recording! I cant wait to hear the rest!

A beautiful, brilliant and virtuoso arrangement by the Maestro, and the Sophie Mutter performance is unbelievably masterful. This will win many awards, also in the classical music world.

4 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

Imagine even 20 seconds of such a csárdás. My dream...

Start time? For those who are not allowed to watch that video?

I like the streamlined orchestration too. I can hear there aren't any trumpets, but I'm pretty sure there aren't any tubas or trombones as well. Only french horns.

It gives the piece a nice, special touch.

EDIT: no wait, I heard the trombones/tubas. Only no trumpets, then?

On 5/9/2019 at 10:18 PM, mrbellamy said:

John Williams: “You really need a better composer for this film.”

Steven Spielberg: “I know, but half of them are dead.”

A shame as Jerry was around ...

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

They could have done more movies!

....i'm so sorry everyone.....

At least you now got it out of your system and we’ll never have to endure it again from one of our forum’s grandees.

You got it out of your system, right?? 😬🙏🏻

This is a bit like the Cinema Serenade album, except it only has JW music. Listening to Far and Away on that album now

but Hedwig's Theme is more classical sounding, maybe he's trying to please the classical elitists

Lovely arrangement indeed! Much better than the Across the Stars arrangement, if I might add. It looks like Williams is writing a series of violin caprices with all his film material. Couldn't think a finer retrospective on one's career. Officially super stoked for this album!

On 5/10/2019 at 6:01 PM, Disco Stu said:

And freakin' Cinderella Liberty!!! Nobody could have predicted that he would be revisiting Cinderella Liberty in 2019.  Too obscure even for Lockhart!

Actually, Nice to be Around is one of the most often recorded Williams songs. Just not by classical oriented musicians.

8 minutes ago, Miguel Andrade said:

Actually, Nice to be Around is one of the most often recorded Williams songs. Just not by classical oriented musicians.

But how often in the last 35 years?

Maybe in jazz circles. Toots Thielemans did re-record it, after performing it on the soundtrack.

56 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

But how often in the last 35 years?

On my personal collection I have 12 re-recordings of the song. There might be more.

EDIT: After all they are 20. Wasn't counting the ones I got as digital-only purchases.