ACROSS THE STARS - Williams / Mutter collaboration album

WilliamsStarShip2282

• 2 weeks later...

Williams arranged the piece and yes it sounds good! :) 

24 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Where was that confirmed?

The credits on this upload list Williams as “Composer, Adapter”

She mentioned that in one of the Facebook posts we have gotten thusfar.

and – hold your breath – my own arrangement of “Yoda”!!!!

Because of the arrangement, it feels shorter to me than what it is--given how this basically the concert arrangement accommodating a solo violin, and the original didn't have a ton going on--, but I think would make a very nice bonus track.

Yes Mutter's arrangement isn't as much a reworking of this piece as Williams' arrangements for this album seem to be (well based on two examples). But in any case I really like the solo violin version of the theme as I don't think it ever got a similar one in the films and it very much suits this gentle lyrical melody.

Working through his arrangements (for meeeeeeeee) of his iconic tunes...and – hold your breath – my own arrangement of “Yoda”!!!!

You could really read that both ways. His arrangements - my own arrangement.

The Across the Stars and Hedwig's theme have been re-arranged and reworked but Yoda's theme sounds much more of a straightforward transcription of the original tune with a more prominent solo violin part added to carry the melody. But that doesn't suggest that Williams' could not have approached some of the pieces in this straightforward manner.

"Markings" was surely recorded. I guess it might be presented on a separate future release featuring other concert pieces.

From pictures and social media postings, also "The Chairman's Waltz" from Geisha was definitely recorded (featuring Lynn Harrell on solo cello). Perhaps it'll be featured as digital-only exclusive, or on a future deluxe edition release.

Mutter also spoke about Leia's Theme and Han Solo and the Princess, but perhaps they weren't recorded.

59 minutes ago, Arpy said:

In the facebook video, Mutter mentions that Yoda's theme was specifically arranged by Williams. 

https://www.facebook.com/17971374062/posts/10157868987969063/

Thanks for confirming this. So a JW arrangement. :) 

17 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

"Markings" was surely recorded. I guess it might be presented on a separate future release featuring other concert pieces.

From pictures and social media postings, also "The Chairman's Waltz" from Geisha was definitely recorded (featuring Lynn Harrell on solo cello). Perhaps it'll be featured as digital-only exclusive, or on a future deluxe edition release.

Mutter also spoke about Leia's Theme and Han Solo and the Princess, but perhaps they weren't recorded.

Also Mutter mentioned that A Prayer for Peace from Munich was recorded with Lynn Harrell. And Remembrances from Schindler's List was recorded as well.

3 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Thanks for confirming this. So a JW arrangement. :) 

Also Mutter mentioned that A Prayer for Peace from Munich was recorded with Lynn Harrel.

Oh, yes, forgot about that.

Who knows, perhaps they don't like how the other pieces turned out, or DG is keeping them on hold for other releases.

22 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

Who knows, perhaps they don't like how the other pieces turned out, or DG is keeping them on hold for other releases.

I really hope these unreleased recordings see the light of day ASAP!

They made a mistake and the 93 minute track is mostly silence, save for the faint echo of Jedi Rocks in the background. 

Isn't there meant to be some unreleased suite from Potter as well, that we only heard fragments of in the making-of video? Surprised at how much unreleased music there is... Surely being withheld for a second release?! 

I suppose the sucess of this album may warrant a 2nd collaboration. Its all pre planned. I have forseen it. !:nopity:

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

Was never a fan of Yoda's theme. Are there any other covers on this album worth a mention though?

ACROSS THE STARS
Anne-Sophie Mutter / John Williams
The Recording Arts Orchestra of Los Angeles
Label: Deutsche Grammophon
Release Date: August 30, 2019

TRACK LIST

01. Rey’s Theme (From “Star Wars: The Force Awakens”)
02. Yoda’s Theme (From “Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back”)
03. Hedwig’s Theme (From “Harry Potter And The Philosopher’s Stone”)
04. Across The Stars (Love Theme) (From “Star Wars: Attack Of The Clones”)
05. Donnybrook Fair (Based On “Blowing Off Steam” From “Far And Away”)
06. Sayuri’s Theme (From “Memoirs Of A Geisha”)
07. Night Journeys (From “Dracula”)
08. Theme (From “Sabrina”)
09. The Duel (From “The Adventures Of Tintin”)
10. Luke And Leia (From “Star Wars: Return Of The Jedi”)
11. Nice To Be Around (From “Cinderella Liberty”)
12 .Theme (From “Schindler’s List”)

50 minutes ago, Amer said:

I suppose the sucess of this album may warrant a 2nd collaboration. Its all pre planned. I have forseen it. !:nopity:

I'll be more than surprised if DG will ever recoup the large amount of money spent for producing this recording. I hope I'll be proven wrong.

43 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

ACROSS THE STARS
Anne-Sophie Mutter / John Williams
The Recording Arts Orchestra of Los Angeles
Label: Deutsche Grammophon
Release Date: August 30, 2019

TRACK LIST

01. Rey’s Theme (From “Star Wars: The Force Awakens”)

04. Across The Stars (Love Theme) (From “Star Wars: Attack Of The Clones”)

06. Sayuri’s Theme (From “Memoirs Of A Geisha”)
07. Night Journeys (From “Dracula”)

10. Luke And Leia (From “Star Wars: Return Of The Jedi”)
11. Nice To Be Around (From “Cinderella Liberty”)

Hmm, interesting...

10 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

I'll be more than surprised if DG will ever recoup the large amount of money spent for producing this recording. I hope I'll be proven wrong.

You're underestimating the power of Anne-Sophie. It will surely be a bestseller among orchestral recordings.

Oh, I certainly wish all the greatest success for this recording. We're being quite lucky, in this day and age, to get these kind of lavish productions dedicated to JW. Even big pop/rock names do have issues in selling records nowadays.

35 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

Maybe that's why they'll release the music recorded for these sessions as two albums: to squeeze as much money as possible from the audience (us) who will buy the music gladly.

This thought is somehow both cynical and wishful thinking....

I'm wondering, based on the track list, how long the disc will be. Because if it's around some, say, 50 minutes, it hardly warrant's for a double LP set. 

Which might mean a) this isn't a locked tracklist or b) the vinyl set will include a few more tracks.