ACROSS THE STARS - Williams / Mutter collaboration album

WilliamsStarShip2282

So, all we need to do is get Daisy to attend the 9 sessions and drop a hint or two to Johnny that Story of a Woman is her favourite score of his...

11 minutes ago, Holko said:

Will the full interview be a Betamax exclusive?

Williams is doing a commentary for the LaserDisc on the second analogue channel!

1 hour ago, Fabulin said:

Williams is subtly telling the industry that he now only accepts payments in the form of attractive women. Call it a creative aphrodisiac if you will.

Spielberg better find a good one for Indy V!

Harrison Ford was in both SW and IJ. Who said that Daisy Ridley can't do the same?

7 hours ago, TownerFan said:

Ah, man! If only I could afford to get a high quality record player! I cannot wait to here the entire album, though. I just wish that "Remembrances" from Schindler's List and "Markings" was not an LP exclusive.

10 hours ago, TownerFan said:

Total duration is around 54 minutes so I guess there will be extra tracks on the vinyl release since it's a double LP.

Yeah, even before the track times, I assumed the playing time would be around the 50 minute mark, which could only lead to the presumption that a) the remaining material would only be available on the 2-LP set or b) the track list wasn't final.

9 hours ago, TownerFan said:

Having that said, this doesn't comes as much of a surprise...

Because I do not own a turntable and do not intend to ever buy one, my solution to this situation is to reluctantly buy the LP and store it until the day I can get ASM (or JW, although that's about as likely as me flying to the moon) to sign it, whereupon I'll frame the fucker and hang it on the wall, LP and all. And then pray to all that is holy that this is the last time a major label tries to pull this nonsense on us.

Although that still doesn't get me the missing tracks into iTunes...

1 minute ago, Bayesian said:

And then pray to all that is holy that this is the last time a major label tries to pull this nonsense on us. 

It probably is, soon they'll abandon CDs altogether!

20 hours ago, crumbs said:

Oh geez, that is some serious bullshit right there; recorded but withheld as vinyl exclusives. What's next, some other exclusive tracks for the physical release? Leias Theme? A Prayer for Peace?

Meanwhile, in slightly less irritating news, a video on recording Rey's Theme:

With Anne-Sophie having a Catherine Deneuve thing goin' on in this, it looked like Johnny was thinking, "oh yeah, if I were a younger man, I'd totally wreck that."

14 hours ago, rough cut said:

Let’s hope the stray tracks will be included on a deluxe edition, maybe around Christmas?

I can't imagine this being an LP exclusive thing for too long. Either there will be a deluxe edition on CD before long, as you say, or the tracks will only be available digitally (aside from the limited LP package). Both cases are annoying, especially for those of us who'd like to buy the CD as soon as it's out, and may then have to re-buy the album later.

I love all three tracks released so far.  Rey's Theme is quite lovely.  But I'm not a fan of this piecemeal release.  I can't stop myself from playing the first three tracks over and over, so when the cd comes out I will have exhausted those tracks.  

The recording itself sounds so good. I won't be surprised that this cd will probably garner some Grammy nomination. Can't wait for August. 

This new arrangement of Rey's Theme is...pretty good! But disappointingly not as inventive a take as the new Hedwig's Theme or Across the Stars. So far, those 2 are much more interesting, new arrangements than Rey's Theme and Yoda's Theme.

9 minutes ago, rpvee said:

Just heard the new Leia’s Theme arrangement at Tanglewood! It’s gorgeous. Becomes truer to the original once it gets going, but the first minute or so is really mysterious (even E.T. like in a way with those mysterious, spacey kind of bells). There was one statement of the main theme in the middle where do think Mutter’s solo bits over it were a bit too busy and different from what the orchestra was doing, but it balanced out when the orchestra got its big solo statement of the theme at the end before Mutter joined in for the big finale.

Definitely will be a bonus track or something at some point. Really beautiful, and summed up everything Leia has been through since the original arrangement in 1977 and Carrie’s passing.

Maybe elements of it ends up in 9

42 minutes ago, Faleel J.M. said:

Maybe elements of it ends up in 9

Obviously all speculation at this point, but given the two facts of the piece being recorded after a half hour of IX was already scored and it being left off the album, maybe there are elements of IX in it.   Whatever the case, I don't like the idea of these pieces being recorded and not released--to quote Kramer, this has been one big tease. 

It would be lovely if Mutter somehow got in a few cues as concertmaster at the IX sessions and we got a few film-ready variations of these themes for solo violin, especially in the case of Leia's and Rey's respective themes. Of course, it probably wouldn't end up as "violin solo-y" as this album makes it out to be, but I think it'd be gorgeous!

4 hours ago, rpvee said:

Just heard the new Leia’s Theme arrangement at Tanglewood! It’s gorgeous. Becomes truer to the original once it gets going, but the first minute or so is really mysterious (even E.T. like in a way with those mysterious, spacey kind of bells). There was one statement of the main theme in the middle where do think Mutter’s solo bits over it were a bit too busy and different from what the orchestra was doing, but it balanced out when the orchestra got its big solo statement of the theme at the end before Mutter joined in for the big finale.

Definitely will be a bonus track or something at some point. Really beautiful, and summed up everything Leia has been through since the original arrangement in 1977 and Carrie’s passing.

Once recovered from the concert, a full review would be most appreciated!

On 5/10/2019 at 6:49 PM, TownerFan said:

I said it first! :D

From early May: "The piece is part of an upcoming album featuring 15+ new arrangements of John Williams' film themes and the world premiere recording of "Markings, for violin, harp and strings", coming soon from Deutsche Grammophon."

:banghead:

6 hours ago, rpvee said:

I completely agree - that was amazing, and in fact, I really enjoyed all the pieces, as did my wife. 

All this material will be released somehow or in some fashion. No way they would have recorded it and left it in the can. 

I also have to say that Ms. Mutter seemed much happier and comfortable with JW than with David Newman, but I suspect that will change once she and David have time to practice for the September concert in Munich.