ACROSS THE STARS - Williams / Mutter collaboration album

WilliamsStarShip2282

26 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Am I the only one who finds this statement quite egocentric - she's totally dismissing his two existing concertos, which already are a gift for the repertoire and for the next generation!

Two?

I see that very much as two concerti as well. I love both, and in fact I'd love to hear Mutter have a go on the 1974 concerto – an emotional and well-crafted work, easily one of his best concert works.

On 10/2/2019 at 10:24 AM, crocodile said:

Poor Gil Shaham though... Williams doesn't even remember that he recorded Remembrances with him back in 1998... :(

Karol

He also recorded it with the Boston Pops, with concertmaster Tamara Smirnova as soloist for the Williams on Williams album in 1995.  

3 minutes ago, King Mark said:

it's better than another compilation with the same thing we heard a thousand times like the Dudamel c.d.

I agree with you, but thankfully it wasn't a matter of getting "one or the other."  I for one am thrilled that Deutsche Grammophone saw fit to release BOTH in the same year.  Hopefully both are big sellers for the label, and they're open to more.

On 9/29/2019 at 1:06 PM, Thor said:

I don't own those either, but I sampled them back in the day. I feel the other way around. First of all, I prefer Perlman over Mutter in general.

I do like many of Perlie's classical recordings - his Sibelius violin concerto on EMI is a particular favorite.

On 9/29/2019 at 1:06 PM, Thor said:

I'm not generally drawn to Williams compilations that just contain 90% -100% of his overplayed 'evergreens'.

I hear you, but the thing is that many of these new arrangements are so different from the originals. 

Btw, if you want to hear a great classical Mutter recording, check out her first take on Brahms' violin concerto. She's on fire!

10 hours ago, King Mark said:

Regular c.d. is 15$, deluxe is 30$...another factor to consider

I paid about $16 for the Deluxe. And besides, the new climax of Leia's Theme is worth $30 on its own.

On Amazon.co.uk both versions cost exactly the same (£12.99) which, coupled with nearly identical cover art, makes it incredibly confusing. :lol:

Karol

Obviously, you can differentiate between them if you look closely at the artwork and/or check tracklist. But I bet a lot of people will get confused. For some reason, I thought the regular edition will have a blue cover like the one on the early single releases on Spotify months ago. And there is absolutely no reason to buy a regular edition from them...unless of course you're bothered about the DVD-sized packaging.

Karol

On 10/5/2019 at 12:07 AM, Matt S. said:

He also recorded it with the Boston Pops, with concertmaster Tamara Smirnova as soloist for the Williams on Williams album in 1995.  

But I guess Williams meant that he found it gratifying that Mutter would resurrect it along with the main theme after so many years. It almost seems like he prefers Remembrances over the main theme. And it has been nearly two decades since he himself re-recorded it with a soloist.

My CD/DVD is finally here!  Anyone else think the awkward jump from the A section of Hedwig's Theme to the Nimbus Two Thousand material in the concert version has been bugging Williams for eighteen years, and that's why he wrote those few bars of transitional fiddling for ASM's version?  Not sure how that could work for the full orchestra, but I'd love to see him try one of his trademark unannounced arrangement switcheroos...

On 8/31/2019 at 11:09 AM, Thor said:

I have problems whenever more 'clean-shaven' themes are rearranged with lots of ornamentation. 

What about ornamentation in jazz, do you like that?

27 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What about ornamentation in jazz, do you like that?

A bit more, yes. I like the Terry Trotter/STAR WARS album, for example.

8 hours ago, GlastoEls said:

She’s got two, hasn’t she?

Yes, she has two Stradivariuses. One from 1703 (her first Strad), and the main one she plays from 1710 as noted above. It's called the "Lord Dunn–Raven Stradivarius." She acquired it in in the early 80's.

This page has a history of the violin and has references to back up the claims of ownership.

https://tarisio.com/cozio-archive/property/?ID=41222

The page also has a front and back image of the violin.

1 hour ago, lairdo said:

Yes, she has two Stradivariuses. One from 1703 (her first Strad), and the main one she plays from 1710 as noted above. It's called the "Lord Dunn–Raven Stradivarius." She acquired it in in the early 80's.

This page has a history of the violin and has references to back up the claims of ownership.

https://tarisio.com/cozio-archive/property/?ID=41222

The page also has a front and back image of the violin.

Wow, that’s really fascinating - had no idea of the provenance.

Thank you!

I listened to this more carefully .The parts I don't like is when the music starts meandering randomly and sound almost like improvisation. Sometimes it's quite long segments like in Hedwig's Theme or The Duel ( 2.30 to 3.40 of that track) .I feel that brings down some of the pieces a lot as it adds nothing interesting and doesn't sound very musical either

Also the Far and Away track is very similar to the one on Cinema Serenade

13 hours ago, King Mark said:

I listened to this more carefully .The parts I don't like is when the music starts meandering randomly and sound almost like improvisation. Sometimes it's quite long segments like in Hedwig's Theme or The Duel ( 2.30 to 3.40 of that track) .I feel that brings down some of the pieces a lot as it adds nothing interesting and doesn't sound very musical either

In other words: You don't like cadenzas. You won't enjoy most solo violin (with or without ensemble/orchestra) repertoire out there.

13 hours ago, King Mark said:

Also the Far and Away track is very similar to the one on Cinema Serenade

The beginning is. Then it goes into an extensive cadenza.

I have been listening to this here and there while Abbey Road (the other purchase I paired it with, came out on the same day) overpowered my commutes completely, and I really like it!

Favourites so far are Rey, Hedwig!, Donnybrook Fair, NIGHT JOURNEYS!, the Duel (which I still don't quite understand how it became THE Tintin piece lately, but I like this version very much), Princess Leia and Prayer for Peace.

Heads up fellow Canadians (not sure how this is being broadcast for other regions): https://www.cineplex.com/Movie/across-the-stars-annesophie-mutter-john-williams

Cineplex Events and C Major Entertainment present Across the Stars for a Limited Engagement Beginning November 30  

Acclaimed violinist Anne-Sophie Mutter performs the Oscar Award-winning Music of John Williams in Cineplex Theatres

5def196f5d07934c7bfb846b654e6a82eed2535b

Toronto, ON, (TSX: CGX), October 29, 2019 - Beginning November 30, Cineplex Events and C Major Entertainment present Across the Stars in 28 Cineplex theatres across Canada. The cinematic event features an outstanding program of music from Oscar Award-winner John Williams, performed by acclaimed violinist Anne-Sophie Mutter and the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra in the dream-like scenery of Munich Königsplatz.

Anne-Sophie Mutter and John Williams have been close friends for many years, which imbues this project with a truly special meaning. Mutter explains, “Most of the works I perform with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra in Munich have been especially arranged for me – the pieces are absolutely new in this form and are performed at this concert for the very first time!" 

The program includes pieces from Star Wars, Harry Potter, Schindler’s List, Harry Potter, E.T., The Witches of Eastwick, Indiana Jones and more.

Across the Stars will be screening at select Cineplex theatres for a limited engagement beginning November 30. For participating locations, showtimes and tickets, visit Cineplex.com/Events. Sign up for Cineplex Events' monthly newsletter to receive previews to upcoming Events Cinema programming, exclusive interviews, contests and more. 

7 hours ago, The Five Tones said:

Cineplex Events and C Major Entertainment present Across the Stars for a Limited Engagement Beginning November 30  

Fascinating! This bodes well for a Blu-Ray/DVD release of the concert too. (Although I really want the concert from Tanglewood.)

Oh heck, I want them both!

1 hour ago, lairdo said:

Fascinating! This bodes well for a Blu-Ray/DVD release of the concert too. (Although I really want the concert from Tanglewood.)

It would be cool if they did a cd release of it as well with the blu ray DVD when it happens. Because of Witches of Eastwick. Let's see. 

17 hours ago, lairdo said:

Since C Major Entertainment has already released another John Williams' concert on DVD and BluRay it is possible!

https://www.cmajor-entertainment.com/movie/a-john-williams-celebration-730308/

https://www.cmajor-entertainment.com/movie/a-john-williams-celebration-730404/

And they have the following two programs for licensing on their website:

https://www.cmajor-entertainment.com/movie/la-opening-gala-2014-john-williams-celebration-9153/

https://www.cmajor-entertainment.com/movie/across-the-stars-anne-sophie-mutter-john-williams-8709/

They have already release the first one, so I think there is a big chance they will release the second one too!

22 hours ago, Amer said:

It would be cool if they did a cd release of it as well with the blu ray DVD when it happens. Because of Witches of Eastwick. Let's see. 

Yes for sure, but I somehow doubt that will happen as it is basically an overlap in the same format as the DG album. Also, I suspect ASM cannot appear on any CD label as a headliner other than DG. 

However, if we get the Blu-Ray, we should be able to get an uncompressed version of Witches off the audio track.

• 2 weeks later...

So........... this is a vinyl with JUST the Star Wars tunes?? Waaaaaaaat. All this "collectible" JW/ASM vinyl, each of it incomplete in its own special way, is a colossal shitshow!!!! Thanks douche grammophon!!!!

I guess the collectible part is that the disc is etched to look like the Death Star and only has the Star Wars tracks from the Deluxe Edition CD? Odd that the DG did not put up the track list. 

I found a more complete description at "Rough Trade."

"Legendary film composer John Williams conducts five exceptional movie themes from the world-famous Star Wars saga in stunning new adaptations written especially for his superstar violinist friend and collaborator Anne-Sophie Mutter. The music ranges from “Yoda’s Theme” from The Empire Strikes Back and “Luke and Leia” from Return of the Jedi to more recent pieces such as “Across the Stars” from Attack of the Clones and “Rey’s Theme” from The Force Awakens. This unique 12” combines all the Star Wars tracks from the album Across the Stars, with the exclusive vinyl release of “Princess Leia’s Theme” from A New Hope. The b-side with an artfully engraved image of the Death Star."

So, one side of the disc is these 5 items: Across the Stars, Yoda's Theme, Princess Leia's Theme, Luke & Leia, and Rey's Theme. The other side is just an image.

Limited edition 3000 copies timed to Black Friday.

My take on this is that if this helps make the collaboration a success, and it leads to a 2nd album, a new violin concerto and even a tour of Ms. Mutter (as she has alluded to possibly doing in 2-3 years), then DG should continue. I do agree for anyone wanting to build a deluxe edition on LP though that buying the three LP sets is a poor experience especially since this release would double 4 tracks with the original one - and still there would be a gap for the Chairman's Waltz and the Munich piece. 

Yeah I would actually buy the LP if they released one with everything on it. I'm enjoying the Deluxe Edition CD very much.

I guess they're trying to create a Star Wars collectible, to bait anyone who buys things that say "Star Wars" on them. Although... they oddly didn't print "Star Wars" on the cover and probably should have.

Then again, Star Wars fans are also used to buying things that say "Special Edition" on them... :lick: