ACROSS THE STARS - Williams / Mutter collaboration album

WilliamsStarShip2282

They are absolutely similar, if anything the deluxe version is more lavish...

The standard edition does have Mutter’s signature, though, maybe that’s why KM favors it... ?

These pictures aren’t the best for comparison, I took them late in the summer after the concert, but I have both editions stowed away currently, so they’ll have to do as reference.

5A02D0DA-9981-4523-A028-4D67996528FD.jpeg

EF6A0A4B-A950-4899-835B-2EBA9C4BADAE.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Finally listening to this album all the way through for the first time. So far I'm loving what I'm hearing.

1. Is the SABRINA arrangement the same as in the Perlman rec/the same one Williams has been touring around for live performances?

2. Maybe my only minor gripe would be how many/how extensive the violin cadenzas are. Many of these tracks are 4-6 minutes long, so to dedicate seemingly a third of the track length to a cadenza seems like a bit overkill at times—especially when you have multiple tracks in a row like this. Of course, the playing is phenomenal and the writing for the cadenzas is excellent—if not a bit new-music-y at times. But it sounds like Williams was having fun being experimental, so I guess I'd rather him do something new than just rehash the classic orchestral arrangements and stick a violin on top.

Whoa, "Nice to Be Around" is a real gem... Was not previously familiar with this tune (or CINDERELLA LIBERTY or its music, whatsoever), so this was quite a pleasant surprise. Does anyone else get Korngold concerto vibes at 2:02-2:10? There's a particular spot from the 1st mvt of that concerto that this reminds me of. Absolutely gorgeous.

1 hour ago, Tydirium said:

Lol, I like how Williams is like "I'll just have the regular release please, thanks."

“I was told there would be emboss!”

9 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Yes, on the DE.

Is there a way to purchase the DVD material digitally? As far as I know only the regular release was on iTunes store.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Did Han solo an the princess get arranged for the concerts? The Cd is really missing that...I can't believe they did Leia and luke and Leia ..and across the stars and left out the other one :(

9 minutes ago, MikeH said:

uhhh...did anyone else miss this music video that was released back in October?

Wow oddly curious. 

4 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Really? And you know this, how? Maybe it's this little concept called 'promotional material,' the result of which garnered nearly 100k views and spread awareness of the album to everyone who watched.

Wow, the "artist" thinks he has the moral right to dismiss views that don't align with his own. Next time, try reading my post properly before replying. Believing does not imply knowing, at least that's how it works outside Australia.

4 minutes ago, crumbs said:

More to the point, it's art. Someone's expression of what they felt from John's music, and isn't that a wonderful thing? Should we not celebrate this type of expression?

I don't celebrate bad art.

4 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Wow, the "artist" thinks he has the moral right to dismiss views that don't align with his own.

Your comment about sales had no basis in reality, I called you out on it. You're perfectly entitled to hold this belief, I'm equally entitled to call it cynical and dismissive.

6 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Next time, try reading my post properly before replying.

Nah, I read it properly. It was a great reminder about why I keep your utter drivel on ignore.

12 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Your comment about sales had no basis in reality, I called you out on it.

There really wasn't anything to call out, as I wasn't presenting it as a fact.

13 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Nah, I read it properly.

Write this a hundred times: AN OPINION IS NOT A FACT!

21 hours ago, carlborg said:

And Vienna too

Surely this has been posted somewhere already?

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/john-williams-anne-sophie-mutter-john-williams-in-vienna/hnum/9843487?lang=en

Edit: yes indeed:

Star Wars (Imperial March)

Harry Potter

Indiana Jones (Raiders March; from "Hunters of the Lost Treasure")

Jurassic Park

E.T.

Jaws (or "Great White Shark")

Witches of Eastwick (Devil's Dance)

Hook

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

"The Fellows" (Seriously, I'm not making this up. What is it? The Reivers? The Cowboys, perhaps? Oh, apparently it is War Horse.)

Limited Edition with 6 extra tracks.

Bonus interview.

Coming 14 August 2020 from Deutsche Grammophon.

12 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I hope they make a second across the stars release. I love the arrangements

The album is fantastic, though if it comes down to a second volume or violin concerto, I would prefer the latter.  Weird thing is, of all the new arrangements, the one I do not really care for is Across the Stars.  

I like that he changed up the structure so much. But I agree it's one of the less interesting ones. The only one I actually skip is the main Schindler's theme, cause I don't want to wear it out. But anyway, love this album, love the selections, love the new arrangements! Sometimes listening to a score puts me in the mood to hear the corresponding track from the Mutter album. Lately that's happened with Tintin and especially the new Far and Away release. It helps that those are two of my favorite tracks on Across the Stars.

Would be cool to think John has been working on some new arrangements while in isolation. Not like he can go out and play golf! At least, he probably shouldn't...

It's a testament to his craft and skill that after all these years he still has this virtuosic streak. There's something special about these arrangements that manage to make it sound authentic to the films they come from and new at the same time. 

A new arrangement of Window to the Past for violin is what I'm dying to hear, as Sayuri's Theme from the first album is probably my favourite arrangement.

9 hours ago, crumbs said:

Would be cool to think John has been working on some new arrangements while in isolation. Not like he can go out and play golf! At least, he probably shouldn't...

From what I've heard, this is exactly what he's been doing. A person who has conducted a series interviews w/ him him quite recently told me the maestro is safely holed up at his LA home, working on his violin concerto and generally being taken well care of. 

Speaking of ASM and Williams's arrangements, does anyone else wonder what ever happened to the Han Solo & the Princess arrangement? We saw a glimpse of it in ASM's Instagram post a while back (screenshot below), but it appears not to have been performed. From what I can tell, it's different from both the original arrangement and the new orchestral one, inasmuch as the key is Dmaj at the start (as opposed to Db for the orig and Amaj for the new one).There's also little melodic gesture in the 5th system which is specific to the 2018 arrangement.

HS&P.jpg

50 minutes ago, Falstaft said:

A person who has conducted a series interviews w/ him him quite recently told me the maestro is safely holed up at his LA home, working on his violin concerto and generally being taken well care of. 

A series of interviews? That could mean someone's working on some kind of biography. Frank, weren't you trying to ger an interview with JW? I already know you're writing on a JW related book... ;)

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

A series of interviews? That could mean someone's working on some kind of biography. Frank, weren't you trying to ger an interview with JW? I already know you're writing on a JW related book... ;)

Haha, I wish! Nah, this isn't me: it's a well-known music journalist and author, and I gather was more a initial interview plus a follow up or two for a magazine feature. We'll all be reading it soon enough, I'm sure.

2 minutes ago, Falstaft said:

Haha, I wish! Nah, this isn't me: it's a well-known music journalist and author, and I gather was more a initial interview plus a follow up or two for a magazine feature. We'll all be reading it soon enough, I'm sure.

Yeah, we should expect something like that with the release of the Wiener concert.

• 4 months later...

Question about these Schindler arrangements, they are just transcriptions? I can't hear anything about them that is noticeably different or re-arranged. I was curious if anyone with a better ear than I had found anything.

• 1 month later...

I know, we all know of the vinyl singles from Across The Stars:

• Hedwig's Theme
  • Remembrances/Markings
  • Across The Stars/Princess Leia

But I'd somehow missed that there was another single released:

• A Prayer For Peace / The Chairman's Waltz

Neat!

On a sidenote, I like how all covers are thematically consistant, with Williams' precense looming in the background, as if to say "from the mind of John Williams", that kind of consistancy is rare nowadays.

JW-ASM_Vinyl-singles.jpg