John Williams playing instruments

leeallen01

Self-explanatory really. Not sure if there's a similar thread, but just want to know if people have seen him perform an instrument live in concert, or to share any youtube videos they know of with him playing something. 

I found this one, which I love.

8 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I have some videos of me playing with my organ, but these are private videos, I can't post them on Youtube.

You pervert! You enjoy filming yourself, do you? 😂 

Not a video but I heard a story first hand that JW sat down to perform the piano part of E.T. end credits to get the right feel and everyone witnessing it was stunned by the quality of the performance but it was another performer who played it.  Just that he jumped in to demo it to the player.  It might have been Don Williams who mentioned this who played on the sessions but I forgot who exactly it was. 

The weird thing is that he never picked up percussion, like his father and two brothers (yeah, yeah...I know piano is considered a percussion instrument, but you know what I mean). He was the odd one out in the family. Even John's son Mark continued the family percussion tradition.

I seem to recall an interview where he stated that his life-long dream was to become a concert pianist, but he wasn't good enough -or something to the effect- and was something that has haunted him through his whole life. 

I remember it was a YT interview.

23 minutes ago, Muad'Dib said:

I seem to recall an interview where he stated that his life-long dream was to become a concert pianist, but he wasn't good enough -or something to the effect- and was something that has haunted him through his whole life. 

I remember it was a YT interview.

Well, he's said similar things on various occasions. There's also one interview where he talks about his year at Juilliard, and he often got frustrated when he heard the skills of the other pianist students down the hall.

I think it's all just humility, though. Obviously, Williams was a huge talent at the time. You wouldn't get accepted into Rosina Lhévinne's Juliard classes if you weren't.

17 minutes ago, Thor said:

I think it's all just humility, though. Obviously, Williams was a huge talent at the time. You wouldn't get accepted into Rosina Lhévinne's Juliard classes if you weren't.

Of course he had to be good to get in, but then I suspect he didn't have the same progress as some of his peers.

8 minutes ago, Thor said:

Well, he's said similar things on various occasions. There's also one interview where he talks about his year at Juilliard, and he often got frustrated when he heard the skills of the other pianist students down the hall.

I think it's all just humility, though. Obviously, Williams was a huge talent at the time. You wouldn't get accepted into Rosa Lhevinne's Juliard classes if you weren't.

Williams is surely a good pianist (better than most film composers). However, there are many ways of being a good pianist. His way, as far as I can see, is the "composer way": intelligent, able to improvise, able to express feelings, technically ok but not necessarily able to do technical wonders. Exceptional concert pianists are, in general, different animals. Maybe they would not know what to do if they were given a vocal line with chords and asked to accompany a singer, but they are able to play anything by Liszt and Rachmaninov at age 10, without missing a single note. Now, I can easily see John Williams, as a youngster, meeting some of the latter people in Julliard and feeling he was not one of them. On the other hand, theory-wise I bet very few of his mates would have been in the same league as his.   

Actually, if I recall correctly, Rosa Lhevinne was the one who told Williams that his true talents lay in composing and arranging, and encouraged him to pursue a career in that realm.

Apparently, he would transcript larger works for piano performance while at Julliard.

I do very much like his approach at the piano, but it is certain he is no incredible virtuoso, which seems to be what is demanded of a top tier concert pianist.  

Sure, he's no Emanuel Ax or whatever. But I think he could have been, had he nurtured that further.

His Prokofiev album as pianist (his only serious classical album as pianist) is pretty good -- and this came out in the mid 70s, when he had long since left his concert pianist ambitions behind.

3 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

Apparently, he would transcript larger works for piano performance while at Julliard.

It would sure be interesting to hear some of those arrangements!

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

His Prokofiev album as pianist (his only serious classical album as pianist) is pretty good -- and this came out in the mid 70s, when he had long since left his concert pianist ambitions behind.

I don't think I've heard that  album. Was well received at the time?

On 9/22/2018 at 9:53 AM, Score said:

Williams is surely a good pianist (better than most film composers). However, there are many ways of being a good pianist. His way, as far as I can see, is the "composer way": intelligent, able to improvise, able to express feelings, technically ok but not necessarily able to do technical wonders. Exceptional concert pianists are, in general, different animals. 

Very astute distillation. Another great thing with John Williams as a pianist in this sense, is how he plays the orchestra at the piano, to paraphrase something said about Duke Ellington. He has a very particular touch at the piano, and his playing takes on the qualities of the instruments you know he's hearing in his head.

3 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

"Screw this, I'm outa here!"

*hums E.T*

4mczj3.gif

More than with E.T., I'd say his mental detour probably had something to do with Dracula...