Film cues Williams got wrong

crumbs

26 minutes ago, Loert said:

Aunt Marge's Waltz isn't that great either, it's a bit too "wink-wink-nudge-nudge" for my tastes.

It's an obvious homage to Rossini's Thieving Magpie! I love it.

38 minutes ago, Score said:

I also have a problem with the Short Round theme (and all the instances when it appears) from Temple of Doom. 

What problems do you have with it?

51 minutes ago, Loert said:

:eh:

Ok, maybe it was too strong an assumption on my side. I reserve the right to change my mind after I hear the glorious expanded releases of the whole Indiana Jones Tetralogy that will surely appear at some time, in the next 5 or 6 decades.

29 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

What problems do you have with it?

My problem starts with the character: I don't like the kind of comic relief that it is supposed to provide, which I find inappropriate in that movie for various reasons (I'm not blaming the young actor, he is not guilty of the director's choice). The theme and the parts of the score written for him enhance that aspect. Maybe it is exactly what JW was asked to do, and maybe it was even the bst possibility given the premise, but I don't like the result. Other parts of the score are wonderful, of course.

4 minutes ago, Score said:

My problem starts with the character: I don't like the kind of comic relief that it is supposed to provide, which I find inappropriate in that movie for various reasons (I'm not blaming the young actor, he is not guilty of the director's choice). The theme and the parts of the score written for him enhance that aspect. Maybe it is exactly what JW was asked to do, and maybe it was even the bst possibility given the premise, but I don't like the result. Other parts of the score are wonderful, of course.

So you just don't like the character.

Well, I don't agree with you (I think Short Round is one of the most memorable and sympathetic characters in the entire Indiana Jones saga!), but I respect your opinion.

13 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

So you just don't like the character.

Well, I don't agree with you (I think Short Round is one of the most memorable and sympathetic characters in the entire Indiana Jones saga!), but I respect your opinion.

Not just the character: I really don't like the music for that character (that's what the topic of the thread is about). In my view, it makes the character even worse. Of course, if you like the character instead, it's very likely that you also like his theme, in this case. 

Maybe I should put this in the "unpopular opinions" thread as well...?

Well, that's a pretty comprehensive list @Datameister!

I certainly agree with many of those examples (the baffling intended version of Anakin Defeats Subulba, plus almost all cues that were dialed out of the final cut) and disagree with others (misfires in TLJ, which I consider impressively woven into the overall score in complete form, and I can't stand tracks like Banning Back Home).

Fully agree that Victory Celebration is a huge improvement on Ewok Celebration, but I know that's an unpopular opinion on here. Ewok Celebration is just terribad.

Vicotry celebration does work much better than Ewok Celebration. 

What the hell is wrong with Anakin Defeats Sebulba?

Short Round and his theme are great, he's much less annoying than I remember.

11 hours ago, Josh500 said:

In my opinion, Short Round's theme has a slightly Chinese (or Asian in general) sound. It's full of optimism, energy, and fun. It evokes thoughts of open wilderness and unlimited adventure and possibilities.

Not sure what's not to like about it! 

Well, for one thing, I don't find it so much "Chinese". Maybe it is designed to give that impression, but it is strongly filtered through Western ears. Musically speaking, I don't like its insistence on that descending major third interval that ends the first phrase and both starts as well as ends the second phrase. There is something in it that I find silly.   

The first appearance of the theme (and the character it was written for). Always makes me smile... :)

The actor is very good, of course, and I think he did well for that role. However, my objection is to the inclusion of a character of that kind in an Indiana Jones movie, so it is directed to Spielberg's choice. I don't find it convincing. It's ok to have children (or childish) characters, but not to assign them major roles in solving the main problems that the "good" characters have to face.

To me, it makes a similar effect to that produced by the Ewoks in ROTJ: you go from the scene of the very dramatic conflict between Luke, the Emperor and Darth Vader, to the scene where the Rebel Fleet is about to be destroyed (which is in tone with the previous one)... to the scene on Endor, where the teddy bears destroy the shield (as well as a legion of the Emperor's "best troops") and basically solve the whole thing. This, in my opinion, represents a huge loss of credibility and seriousness for the finale of the original saga. I would call it a tonal inconsistency.

Analogously, in Temple of Doom I don't like the idea that Indy goes into the temple of some guys who enjoy stripping pulsating hearts of other people in their free time, and carries a child with him, who has a major role in solving the situation. From this point of view, I find the character of Mutt in KOTCS much more credible, just because it is more believable that a character of that age took part in such an adventure (I'm not talking about the... details of the adventure itself!). I hope I have made my point clearer.

[EDITED to correct an erroneous statement]

Short Round doesn't smile from Amscray till Indy's back and they're escaping, he's also terrified, beaten and enslaved. Look at him during "Indy, I love you!", the poor thing's about to cry but still willing to hurt his best friend for the slight chance of bringing him back.

1 hour ago, Holko said:

Short Round doesn't smile from Amscray till Indy's back and they're escaping, he's also terrified, beaten and enslaved. Look at him during "Indy, I love you!", the poor thing's about to cry but still willing to hurt his best friend for the slight chance of bringing him back.

Ok, I don't remember everything from that movie but my main point is not the amount of smiling, but that such a character is out of tune with the rest of the movie (for me).

I really realize I've lost a good occasion for the unpopular opinions thread...

Sure, the point wasn't the amount of smiling, but first you made it sound like Shorty turned every shot he was in into silly kiddy stuff, while he is in fact very much affected by the gravity of their situation.

3 minutes ago, Holko said:

Sure, the point wasn't the amount of smiling, but first you made it sound like Shorty turned every shot he was in into silly kiddy stuff, while he is in fact very much affected by the gravity of their situation.

I've edited my first post to prevent this interpretation!

3 hours ago, Holko said:

What the hell is wrong with Anakin Defeats Sebulba?

It just...somehow doesn't sound like a cue for a podrace to me. The partially unused latter half of "The Race Begins" comes a lot closer. The way "Anakin Defeats Sebulba" is used in the film is just so perfect, particularly when the energy balls start bouncing around, and when Jar Jar starts swinging around on the gun turret. (Not judging the film itself here...just how well the tracked score fits.) Frankly, other than the aforementioned statement of Anakin's theme, I'm still stunned that it wasn't written for that scene.

Surely the silliest thing in Temple of Doom isn't Short Round! It might be the Thuggee Cult, the comical cartoon Indians, the crazy temple, the monkey brain dessert, the crazy roller-coaster deep underground etc.

And surely the most annoying thing in Temple of Doom isn't Short Round, but Willie and her constant screaming! 

My two cents. 😂 

7 minutes ago, Datameister said:

It just...somehow doesn't sound like a cue for a podrace to me.

Yeah, but at that point it isn't about the race anymore, just the 1v1 tussle, which one of them will make it to the finish line at all.

20 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Surely the silliest thing in Temple of Doom isn't Short Round! It might be the Thuggee Cult, the comical cartoon Indians, the crazy temple, the monkey brain dessert, the crazy roller-coaster deep underground etc.

And surely the most annoying thing in Temple of Doom isn't Short Round, but Willie and her constant screaming! 

My two cents. 😂 

Of course there are plenty of silly things there, but the starting point was the music cue for Short Round, then the discussion derailed towards the movie!

2 hours ago, Demodex said:

I haven't read this whole thread but my biggest disappointment in Williams is that the Luke and Leia theme doesn't appear anywhere in Revenge of the Sith.

Hadn't occurred to me! There were definitely a few places he could've used it, such as towards the end when they discuss what to do with the twins. I completely understand why he preferred a suite of Leia's/Luke's/Force Theme for the final two scenes though, considering the structure of the finale.

And, in hindsight, having the theme come back for TLJ after being dormant for 35 years made that moment even more heartbreaking and special.

22 minutes ago, crumbs said:

And, in hindsight, having the theme come back for TLJ about being dormant for 35 years made that moment even more heartbreaking and special.

Exactly.

5 hours ago, Holko said:

It's a cue we cannot afford to lose, but is pretty anticlimactic and silly as a finisher.

My thoughts exactly. It's a fun listen on its own, but I can't take it seriously as a conclusion to the original trilogy.

Oh! I totally forgot a big one...the dianoga cue from ANH! Absolutely LOVE the cue...absolutely HATE how it would have worked in the film. The scene would have felt soooo much sillier. (Oddly enough, I do think it works well in the SE's expanded Mos Eisley sequence...I have mixed feelings about those additions, certainly, but the score certainly fits nicely with them.)

Because that's totally what I said.

Of course Star Wars is always going to have a degree of silliness. Anyone who takes it super seriously on the whole is missing the point, IMO. But tonally, that particular scene feels more like "Oh man, there's a creepy unseen monster that's attempting to drown the hero in scummy dumpster water", not "Haha, look at the silly antics Luke and his friends are getting into."

But maybe I'm just being...silly.

Another couple I thought of in the car to work this morning! 

• The weird music Williams wrote at the end of Yoda's Death to underscore Obi-Wan's reappearance on Dagobah (which was dialled out) 
  • The cue he wrote to underscore Jabba's reveal after Han Solo is reawakened in ROTJ, far too goofy for the moment IMO (which was also dialled out) 
  • The original opening to Return of the Jedi. The memorable opening to the revised version of that track is vastly superior.

1 hour ago, Datameister said:

Because that's totally what I said.

Of course Star Wars is always going to have a degree of silliness. Anyone who takes it super seriously on the whole is missing the point, IMO. But tonally, that particular scene feels more like "Oh man, there's a creepy unseen monster that's attempting to drown the hero in scummy dumpster water", not "Haha, look at the silly antics Luke and his friends are getting into."

But maybe I'm just being...silly.

Image result for silly isn't he

It's very rare that JW doesn't get a scene right musically, as imho he has some of the strongest dramatic instincts any film composer ever had. However, it's certainly true that sometimes he went too far in terms of enhancing certain aspects of a scene. Some of the example already made are true (especially the dialed out music from TESB or Indy).

One example that comes to my mind is the scene in A.I. where Monica arguments with his husband after they met with David, which is scored with sentimental strings that go a tad too far when coupled with Frances O'Connor's acting.

3 hours ago, TownerFan said:

One example that comes to my mind is the scene in A.I. where Monica arguments with his husband after they met with David, which is scored with sentimental strings that go a tad too far when coupled with Frances O'Connor's acting.

You mean the cue "David's Arrival"? Speak for yourself! You're probably the only one who thinks so. 

This scene is scored perfectly, and like I've mentioned many times, this piece is one of my all-time favourites.

I'd need to re-watch that scene to gauge my opinion but, from the last time I watched that film, not a single cue stuck out to me as being the wrong choice.

I consider A.I. a masterwork, probably his most recent.

22 hours ago, Demodex said:

I haven't read this whole thread but my biggest disappointment in Williams is that the Luke and Leia theme doesn't appear anywhere in Revenge of the Sith. 

To me that theme is meant to represent their relationship and the shared realisation that they are brother and sister, rather than merely the fact that they are siblings (if that makes any sense).