Vienna Instruments Program

WilliamsStarShip2282

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is a relevant topic, however I know there are a lot of people on here who compose/ arrange and whatever else, so I am wondering if anyone here has experience using the Vienna Instruments. I'm basically writing something in Finale or Sibelius but the sounds are not too hot, and I wanted to try Vienna but I really have no idea how that works. Can you just import and XML file into that program and it syncs it up, or you assign the instruments?

Thanks!

I think we have whole threads devoted to the topic of getting good results out of sample libraries including Vienna.  Some of us are quite accomplished and I would advise you to investigate those threads because the bottom line is sample libraries are instruments and you need to practice and work with them to get good results.  You can buy the best library and get poor results if you don't know how to use them most effectively similarly you can have mediocre libraries and get excellent results if you have great mockup skills...and have sufficient hardware to use them properly.  It's a broad topic and has been discussed frequently here.

6 hours ago, karelm said:

I think we have whole threads devoted to the topic of getting good results out of sample libraries including Vienna.  Some of us are quite accomplished and I would advise you to investigate those threads because the bottom line is sample libraries are instruments and you need to practice and work with them to get good results.  You can buy the best library and get poor results if you don't know how to use them most effectively similarly you can have mediocre libraries and get excellent results if you have great mockup skills...and have sufficient hardware to use them properly.  It's a broad topic and has been discussed frequently here.

What I'm about to say doesn't negate your post, per se, but I think he was asking about the technical process of having notation software play Vienna Instruments instead of their default soundfont.

Vienna instruments are a great library (using it myself), but if you just want better-sounding playback in Sibelius without a lot of manual setup (as in the video Marc linked), I've heard good things about NotePerformer (though I haven't tried it personally yet), which as far as I know works out of the box (and is a bit cheaper, too).