The Legacy of John Williams (Website & Podcast)

TownerFan

• 3 weeks later...

It's a fantastic interview, and I've got it saved to my hard drive along with the many other podcasts / interviews we've been fortunate to get the last couple years!  

Guess I should chime in too, since everybody else does. As I've said before, I aim to boil myself a pot of coffee (or open a bottle of wine) and read/isten through all of these articles and podcasts at a later date; I love your project and angle, Maurizio. But it will have to be later, as I have too many other things to do and listen to at the moment.

As for the new episode, I'm not interested in the expansions/C&C aspect of the discussion, but from what I understand, you also talk about other things, like previously unreleased JW scores and their potential release. THAT is more up my alley. 

46 minutes ago, Thor said:

Guess I should chime in too, since everybody else does. As I've said before, I aim to boil myself a pot of coffee (or open a bottle of wine) and read/isten through all of these articles and podcasts at a later date; I love your project and angle, Maurizio. But it will have to be later, as I have too many other things to do and listen to at the moment.

As for the new episode, I'm not interested in the expansions/C&C aspect of the discussion, but from what I understand, you also talk about other things, like previously unreleased JW scores and their potential release. THAT is more up my alley. 

Hey Thor some older obscure scores get a mention in the most recent talk! 

And thank you for another fascinating talk Maurizio (and Mike and Tim)! It is always so fascinating to hear these behind-the-scenes stories and background not just on John Williams and these new releases and how they came to be but also on the industry and its constant evolution as well. We rarely hear these publicly discussed anywhere, like how Nick Redman's passing actually affected the soundtrack restoration projects in a major way etc. which is really interesting business side of these things and how Mike Matessino and the new people he is working with had to learn a lot of new skills in the changing environment as older generation of people working on these projects or particular studios (e.g. after Fox was bought by Disney) are retiring or have passed away taking with them their knowhow and even previous teams working on these soundtrack projects.

If I were to interview Matessino at some point, I'd slam these titles, and only these titles, on the table and say "Go ahead -- TALK!". ;)

YOU ARE WELCOME
A TIMELESS CALL
THE SUGARLAND EXPRESS
THE SCREAMING WOMAN
STORIA DI UNA DONNA
DADDY'S GONE A-HUNTING
SERGEANT RYKER
THE PLAINSMAN
THE RARE BREED
THE KATHERINE REED STORY
THE KILLERS
NIGHTMARE IN CHICAGO
GIDGET GOES TO ROME
THE SECRET WAYS
BECAUSE THEY'RE YOUNG
I PASSED FOR WHITE
DADDY-O
INSIDE THE MOVIE KINGDOM

Just listened to the new episode and enjoyed it a lot! Many thanks to Maurizio, Tim, and Mike to offer us this new peek behind the scenes, and great discussion of music old and new :)

1 minute ago, TownerFan said:

I know you're all getting crazy with Star Wars madness, but if you have 60 minutes of spare time, here's a new Legacy Conversations podcast episode from The Legacy of John Williams: an exclusive interview with legendary music contractor Sandy DeCrescent.

https://thelegacyofjohnwilliams.com/2019/12/17/sandy-decrescent-podcast

Sandy talks about her very long and illustrious career, her days at Universal television with Stanley Wilson where he met many young up-and-coming composers, what a music contractor does, and of course her long and fruitful collaboration with John Williams. Lots of musical excerpts peppered throughout the episode, including some interesting and rarely heard snippets.

It ties nicely with Star Wars because Sandy worked with JW also on the upcoming Rise of Skywalker.

Hope you all enjoy!

Wow!  One of his longest time, seldom interviewed collaborators!  Well done, Maurizio, can't wait to listen.

32 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

Sandy talks about her very long and illustrious career, her days at Universal television with Stanley Wilson where he met many young up-and-coming composers,

You sold me on that point. Whatever I can get to know about early Williams, I swallow like a starved castaway.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Another wonderful talk with Mike and Tim, Maurizio! I really love this format which feels like an informal chat between film score and John Williams fans and also goes fairly in-depth into the behind-the-scenes of producing these excellent releases. Always a joy to listen! Thank you for all your efforts! :) 

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

...but Mike insisted the paperwork wasn't right in front of him!

Doesn't mean it's not in his top drawer filed under "PENDING" ;)

• 2 weeks later...

One question, though: Why did you decide to use clips that also include movie dialogue? You could have filtered that out using the Blu-Ray/DVD. Just a very, very minor issue in an otherwise perfect episode.

Doug actually gave me some closure about the lack of prequel themes in the final film, brilliantly explaining how JW carried the harmonic language established in the prequels into the sequel trilogy.

So while there might not be literal thematic quotes, the DNA of those themes carries throughout TROS, notably with Anakin's Theme and The Rise of Skywalker. Brilliant observation.

This was a great episode and it made me go back and listen to Frank Lehman's first appearance on the podcast which is also a terrific listen. There is an interesting distinction made between the more developmental use of themes by Wagner versus the more citational use by Prokofiev and that Williams was closer to the Prokofievien. Lehman mentions Williams candidly saying that he didn't particularly like Wagner's music in an interview with Grace Edgar. I'd love to read the full interview but can't find it anywhere online, does anyone have a copy that they can share here?

42 minutes ago, John Chambers said:

This was a great episode and it made me go back and listen to Frank Lehman's first appearance on the podcast which is also a terrific listen. There is an interesting distinction made between the more developmental use of themes by Wagner versus the more citational use by Prokofiev and that Williams was closer to the Prokofievien. Lehman mentions Williams candidly saying that he didn't particularly like Wagner's music in an interview with Grace Edgar. I'd love to read the full interview but can't find it anywhere online, does anyone have a copy that they can share here?

Grace presented her interview at a conference a few years ago, which is where I heard about Williams's distaste for Wagner. It hasn't been published yet, to my knowledge. But you can see the basic gist in the abstract to her presentation, available here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1a3lXQZxAduX_bkm8HtoK6C4yBg7ArvNU/view .