The Legacy of John Williams (Website & Podcast)

TownerFan

22 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

"I’ve actually heard very little of his music, and I’m not a particular fan of his for a lot of reasons"

Since JW's barely heard Wagner's music, I guess the main reason for his dislike is more due to the personality than the music. As is well documented, Wagner was a total a-hole.

• 2 weeks later...

It was another lovely and interesting discussion Maurizio. And it was really nice to hear about Marcus' background and career and some of his music as well as thoughts from both of you on music, life and of course John Williams. :)

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, TownerFan said:

https://thelegacyofjohnwilliams.com/2020/06/24/ben-palmer-podcast/

Hope you'll like it, guys. It's quite a long and insightful conversation.

Indeed it is! Thank you very much for your continuous efforts, and for bringing in such guests :) 

I'm really interested in what he says about using the OSTs as reference material and how the sketches differ from the film versions. Does that mean not every conductor gets an isolated score?

On 6/24/2020 at 6:42 PM, TownerFan said:

Wonderful conversation again Maurizio. Thank you. 

I have used the same JW music to get my kids to sleep as Ben and I have to admit that JW is also in my top 3 composers(not only movie composers) 

What version/recording was  The New Beginning? I was listening to this while driving and wasn't sure what I heard, some different woodwind stuff? 🤔🤔🤔

14 hours ago, moi said:

I have used the same JW music to get my kids to sleep as Ben and I have to admit that JW is also in my top 3 composers(not only movie composers) 

What version/recording was  The New Beginning? I was listening to this while driving and wasn't sure what I heard, some different woodwind stuff? 🤔🤔🤔

Probably this one:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000czqy

On 6/24/2020 at 4:42 PM, TownerFan said:

https://thelegacyofjohnwilliams.com/2020/06/24/ben-palmer-podcast/

Cheers Maurizio, that was a very interesting interview!  I have been to a number of live to projection concerts conducted by Ben as well as several of those with the Orchestra of St. Paul's / Covent Garden Sinfonia and you can tell instantly that he has a real affinity with the music of John Williams and film music in general.

On 6/27/2020 at 11:55 PM, moi said:

Glad you enjoyed it!

It's the version as heard in the Spielberg/Williams Collaboration Vol.3 album from 2017 as conducted by JW. I didn't know there was a recording conducted by Ben himself otherwise I would have used that in the show! :)

15 hours ago, Omen II said:

Cheers Maurizio, that was a very interesting interview!  I have been to a number of live to projection concerts conducted by Ben as well as several of those with the Orchestra of St. Paul's / Covent Garden Sinfonia and you can tell instantly that he has a real affinity with the music of John Williams and film music in general.

Their E.T. performance was superb. One of my favourite live to projection concerts so far.

Karol

• 2 weeks later...

A new episode is up :)

L.A. Studio Legends is a new series of podcast talks on The Legacy of John Williams dedicated to legendary orchestra musicians from the Los Angeles area who performed in hundreds of film soundtrack recordings, including many by composer John Williams. These artists are not only responsible for playing in some of the most iconic movie scores in the history of cinema: they’re some of the truly finest and talented orchestra players of the 20th and 21st century. The first guest of this new series is certainly a musician who can be defined in a class of himself, who also enjoyed a global recognition throughout his distinguished career: world-renowned violinist Glenn Dicterow.

L.A. Studio Legends: Glenn Dicterow

World-renowned violinist, former concertmaster of the New York Philharmonic Orchestra, discusses his career as studio musician in film recordings in Los Angeles and his collaborations with John Williams

Hosted by Maurizio Caschetto

https://thelegacyofjohnwilliams.podbean.com/e/la-studio-legends-1-glenn-dicterow/

https://thelegacyofjohnwilliams.com/

I heartily suggest every lover of great music and musicanship to listen to this conversation with this amazing artist. He talks about his works for JW as studio musician in the 1970s, but also spends time detailing how the sound of Hollywood orchestras of the Golden Age was a product of its time and people, especially string players (his father Harold was also a violinist who performed in hundreds of film scores, including many by JW). He also offers his recollections of working with the great Leonard Bernstein, with a couple of lovely stories.

More talks with legendary L.A. studio players coming soon!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@TownerFan I must say that I have been absolutely loving the series of interviews with the studio musicians that have worked with John.  Working as a document of LA session life through the lens of John Williams, it's just brilliant.  Every one of the musicians has come from very different backgrounds, but they all converge on one city one way or another and enrich our lives with their art.

12 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

@TownerFan I must say that I have been absolutely loving the series of interviews with the studio musicians that have worked with John.  Working as a document of LA session life through the lens of John Williams, it's just brilliant.  Every one of the musicians has come from very different backgrounds, but they all converge on one city one way or another and enrich our lives with their art.

Thanks for your nice words, Disco Stu. Talking with these legendary musicians is a real treat.

• 4 weeks later...

“If you don’t mind, I’ll rehearse the orchestra.”  -JW to an overzealous concertmaster.

I wonder if this is the same person that Don Williams said stopped a take to correct bowing and then was fired the next day. Oops!

On 9/25/2020 at 3:18 PM, Alan said:

Listening to the Malcolm McNab interview now. That "you're just not a soloist" comment! That must have hurt!

And here Williams was totally wrong. Listen to Malcolms solo albums, they are amazing, especially the Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto is mind blowing! Malcolm's tone might not be as bright as Tim Morrison's, but it is still great. IMO the best studio trumpet player ever.

Also funny that Malcolm was Goldsmith's favourite soloist.

Thanks Maurizio @TownerFan for this nice episode and your great work!

On 9/25/2020 at 10:18 AM, Alan said:

Love listening to these while working from home, thank you @TownerFan!

Listening to the Malcolm McNab interview now. That "you're just not a soloist" comment! That must have hurt!

I can’t imagine JW meant it in a bad way. But indeed it probably did hurt. Although it seems Malcolm has enough ego to be able to take it. I also play principal trumpet chair in my orchestra. It definitely takes a bit of ego to get through it. Without sounding too arrogant of course. I absolutely love Malcolm’s playing, he’s been an inspiration for a long time. But he’s from a generation that can handle themselves. I’m sure he’s fine. 
In any case, fabulous interview Maurizio!

6 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

The ultimate get for this podcast would obviously be Don Williams.  Make it happen!

True, but I'd rather have Jerry. He's closer in age to his brother, and would probably have more stories to share from the early, early days. John Williams had all but moved out by the time Don was born.

I was more referring to Don as the ultimate get in the context of Maurizio's series interviewing LA studio musicians about their time playing on Williams sessions, not necessarily for his insights into Williams' childhood or personal life.

Ramiro Belgardt, Patricia Sullivan or Shawn Murphy would be great gets as well, given how closely they work with John.

But I'm loving this series on musicians, learning about their backstories and what led them to performing in a JW score. What a dream!

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I was more referring to Don as the ultimate get in the context of Maurizio's series interviewing LA studio musicians about their time playing on Williams sessions, not necessarily for his insights into Williams' childhood or personal life.

True, but Jerry has performed on a lot of those too (although perhaps not as many as Don).

The montage track list is detailed in the comments section on Soundcloud, also here:

Sleepers
Amistad
Stepmom
The Patriot
Always
Home Alone 2

Home Alone
JFK
Far & Away
Rosewood
Sabrina
Jurassic Park
Nixon
War Horse
American Journey (5th Movement)
Sleepers 
The Patriot 

@TownerFan I just listened to the interviews of Ralph Grierson, Jim Walker and Malcolm McNab. Absolutely wonderful stuff Maurizio! These are such generous musicians and people to share their time, reminiscences and thoughts with you and through you with us. Keep up this important and good work! :) 

On 10/23/2020 at 12:42 PM, TownerFan said:

https://thelegacyofjohnwilliams.com/2020/10/23/james-thatcher-podcast/

I hope you'll like it. It's a long episode! :)

It was a fantastic episode Maurizio! Length was no issue for me, I really enjoyed the musical excerpts.