The Legacy of John Williams (Website & Podcast)

TownerFan

On 11/12/2023 at 9:44 PM, bollemanneke said:

What a great read. (And can I also just point out that I love John Takis' measured and calm way of speaking in the 2012 Hook interview Tim Burden did?)

Agreed! JT was also superb on our The Fury tribute show soon after.

I'd disagree with one thing Tim said which is about the Lost Boys quote in the film edit of the credits being messy, or a similar word. I still think that's a well constructed suite of some primary thematic ideas and ends the film with the spellbinding end of Farewell Neverland.

You misunderstood what he said.  He wasn't saying that The Lost Boys Chase being in the end credits is a messy idea, he was talking about that in the film itself, the cue has several edits to it.  On the LLL album, the cue is unedited.

Ah so he means the edits done to it to fit the timings were messy. I had a quick listen again to the 2012 track and I can spot maybe one edit point, but I think 'very messy' is a tad strong of a term to use - I think it's a great suite personally, editor-created or otherwise. The Exit Music is good too, but somehow doesn't quite 'wow' me as much as the film's ending.

I think I'm a fan of (or tolerator of) editor-created credit assemblies a lot more than most...

24 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I think I'm a fan of (or tolerator of) editor-created credit assemblies a lot more than most...

I haven't listened to the part 2 yet but I don't think it's that bad of an edit, there's a lot messier edits than that one.

Another wonderful episode. A few observations:

What on earth was JW thinking when he asked Lang to think of Mozart when recording Banning Back Home? How on earth would one think of Mozart during that piece?

Also, the reveal that the piano bridge before We Don’t Wanna Grow up was supposed to be on the OST is just nuts. That bridge was about the only thing that made having that song bearable in the first place. He should have just kept all the piano and got rid of the song instead.

Also, Jay’s comment about ranking things being fruitless was very good to hear and another reminder that I NEED to stop trying to rank movies on Letterboxd.

It would also be really interesting to see what the assembly would have looked like had the songs not been approved.

Is Caroline Goodall being accompanied by a real orchestra? It really doesn’t sound like one.

Finally, did I understand correctly that Amber Scott didn’t sing all of the things we hear?

That was another great conversation from more of a fan perspective and having nice insights to the music and discussions on the music's relation to the film. I loved those personal stories relating to the first experiences with this music and how affecting it was back in 1991. Also just having JW fans geeking out on the magnificent music was great to hear. Very much a shared sentiment guys!:D

Part 2 was another great round table discussion! Bravo.

It brought the songs to another level for me for sure. Yes I was always curious about them but the score was THE reason I was there. I certainly listened to them when I got the set but hearing the group go through them really made me listen again so thanks! Like several folks mentioned Hook is something we keep finding new things in 30+ years later.

Now did my ears deceive me or was there a part III alluded to ?? Maybe it was just discussion of "oh if we ever did a part III..." but I'm down for as much time as you guys want to record and edit :) Either way as usual these episodes are a gift that I keep coming back to time and time again. 

I hope Mike looks at Leslie’s journals to see if there are any lyrics with sketches that match the Lost Boys music. 

and … was Dave Grusin music a temp track at any point for Banning? 

• 2 weeks later...

This was a fun conversation!  Poor Tim (Greiving) didn't get to say much with David Newman taking over almost every question, but he had some interesting things to say, like the tangent about how there's a uniqueness to old violins and other string instruments that isn't true for brass and other instruments.

The discussion about what, where, when, and how to program film music for audiences had a ton of parallels with Maruzio's earlier video conversation with John Mauceri so it was kind of nice that this one is video too.  I wonder if the episodes of his podcast that have a video component reach a wider audience than the ones that don't.

What a great podcast.  This one really drew me into the personal world of film scoring.  Yes, Mr. Newman loves to talk, but his passion, knowledge, and detailed memory are fantastic.  Tim's comments on Williams's complicated feelings on presenting film scores and such makes Williams all the more compelling to me.  I feel bad for the guy on some level.  It seems like his BPO days, at least the first several, were not all that gratifying.  Pretty cool that he stuck it out and has sort of "won the argument," if you will.  

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to say that the new site looks amazing: https://thelegacyofjohnwilliams.com

Thanks to everyone who works so hard at creating and contributing to this incredible and unique resource! It's such a delight to sit down and listen to the podcast or read an article. There's always something new to learn or discover to increase my passion and appreciation for the wonderful music of the maestro.

I don’t think there is anything but his music that people should learn about John Williams, by simply listening to it. This level of obsession about another person - any person for that matter - is nothing short of toxic and borderline neurotic. Just listen to the man’s music and stop analyzing every single thing he said and did, like he was Jesus. The guy even dresses like JW, he looks like an obsessed person. And he is supported in this obsession by some people like it was a normal thing. The amount of time and money he must be putting into worshiping another man is crazy. I really feel sorry for this guy for not finding something truly meaningful in his life other than worshiping a 92-year-old American composer.
Pathetic and revolting.

58 minutes ago, JTN said:

I don’t think there is anything but his music that people should learn about John Williams, by simply listening to it. This level of obsession about another person - any person for that matter - is nothing short of toxic and borderline neurotic. Just listen to the man’s music and stop analyzing every single thing he said and did, like he was Jesus. The guy even dresses like JW, he looks like an obsessed person. And he is supported in this obsession by some people like it was a normal thing. The amount of time and money he must be putting into worshiping another man is crazy. I really feel sorry for this guy for not finding something truly meaningful in his life other than worshiping a 92-year-old American composer.
Pathetic and revolting.

Who are you talking about?

28 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

He believes he's talking about Maurizio, but I think in reality he's talking about his past self and projecting that onto someone else.

He’s way worse than my past self. I’ve since grown up, not worshiping an old man. 

22 hours ago, Tom said:

The website is fantastic--thank you for all of your hard work on behalf of us fans and those wishing to learn more about JW.   

This looks like a fantastic project indeed. Wishing the best to Maurizio and everyone involved.